External SSD, Install new PCIe Card

All,

My wife has something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743BF8TK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0743BF8TK&pd_rd_wg=2twQQ&pd_rd_r=FCY8EE4D81V8391AJ5YK&pd_rd_w=NHSgT for her work. She wants to plug it into our computer at home (instead of her work laptop) to access the files. Our computer is kinda old, but functional... 

The docs for the motherboard say the following;

Expansion Bus

Bus type: PCI 2.3, PCI Express 1.0A, SATA 1.0 and 2.0, USB 2.0

PCI Connectors x 2, 124 pins, data width 32 bits

PCIe connector 1, 36 pins, 1 PICe lane

PCIe connector; one x 16, 164 pins

I have two open slots in the computer. I want to install either a USB 3 card or even something that would support type c or even thunderbolt 3. Is this even possible? I want to get the best transfer speed possible here so using the built in usb 2, is doable, but not preferred. Also nothing in the docs says anything about USB 3 or thunderbolt.

Also I realize that the link above is for a USB 3 device, the thunderbolt question is for my own curiosity.

Thanks

You can buy PCI cards that have multiple USB 3.0 ports on them if that is something you are looking for

1 minute ago, Matthew Waring said:

You can buy PCI cards that have multiple USB 3.0 ports on them if that is something you are looking for

So the computer will support USB 3, if I install a card, even though the motherboard does not? Does this also include a thunderbolt card as well?

Just now, Matthew Waring said:

How old is the computer?

6+ years :( ... we are unable to upgrade for various reasons so I am trying to make due with what we have.

I dont know any reason for the pci card not working with the pc since pci slots are universal and usb 3.0 being backwards compat, I would do research but I'm at work.

Depending on the file sizes, you may not need usb 3.0 since files like word documents will still be transferred over quickly

Thanks for the help. It looks like the cards are fairly cheap so Ill give it a try with no regrets.