POLL: I7 7820 NOW OR I9 LTR

So LTT cpu community,

should I buy an i7 7820 after Christmas or wait until February when I know I will have enough for the i9 

case uses:

video editing ( premiere DaVinci  resolve after effects) ///according to Puget system multiple radeons are a better set up for Davinci I know///

live streaming 

gaming 

photo editing (lightroom and photoshop)

lite rendering (opposed to light rendering :p) 

and all else

cheers 

BigJohn

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

Do you have a computer already? if you have any thing that is usable yet wait until August for the i7 9700k first 10nm lithography processor featuring 8 cores / 16 threads on latest IPC, probably 5ghz... gonna be a true beast of a CPU, much faster than the current i7 7820x in fact I think it'll compete neck and neck with the i9 7900x in multi-threading while run over it in single-thread performance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The 7820x? Which i9? The 10-core?

i9 is better performance. i7 is better value.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

princeess cadence @@!! and bwl it would be the x as i am on the 2066

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

Barnacules just had a new system built from Puget just for video editing and rendering. According to Puget the chip you want for those tasks specifically is the 7940X. But that chip runs just over double what the 7820X does. But that is really more of a ceiling. What Puget said was that performance goes down on chips above the 7940X, so anything up to that should be better than the 7820X. Even if you just went with the 7900X you are getting 4 more threads to operate with.

But, the 7920 loses clock speed. The 7900 runs 10 cores at 3.3 stock, the 7920 12 @ 2.9, and the 7940 14 @ 3.1   

7 minutes ago, BWLServers said:

Nah actual best value would be the locked i7 8700 on cheapest z370 possible... the unlocked 8700k on expensive z370 realistic speaking adds negligible gains in performance for the high price.

OP did not mention the need for pci-e lanes, quite frankly the Coffee Lake processor would be better than any x299 for him since Mesh Cache on x299 hurts gaming performance quite hard while Coffee Lake is game king now, streaming is perfectly fine on the i7 8700 it performs like the Ryzen 7 8/16t processors and can use the iGPU to QuickSync increasing performance, photo editing is heavily single thread depended so faster cores is better....

6c/12 still enables a lot of multi-tasking... lite rendering... can't it be CUDA Accelerated any ways?

So yeah I would either wait Ice Lake if I had something working now or go with the i7 8700(if wanna save money) or i7 8700k(if wanna spend money).

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

41 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Do you have a computer already? if you have any thing that is usable yet wait until August for the i7 9700k first 10nm lithography processor featuring 8 cores / 16 threads on latest IPC, probably 5ghz... gonna be a true beast of a CPU, much faster than the current i7 7820x in fact I think it'll compete neck and neck with the i9 7900x in multi-threading while run over it in single-thread performance.

are you sure about that august release ? i mean its all rumors yet. sorry for my ignorance i wish i can wait

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it.