Pc upgrade

Owen99

My current pc Consists of a i5-4960k on a Asus z97 motherboard with 16bg of ddr3 and a gtx 1060 6gb

i also have an original PS4 that I don’t use. Would it be worth selling the 1060 and PS4 and buying a 1070. Would have to get a new psu so would cost me between £90-£110 for the 1070??

That is a pretty small upgrade for the cost... are you dissatisfied with the performance of the 1060 in games? And if so, to what degree? Is it just an issue of not being able to turn settings all the way up, or are you experiencing frame rate issues even with settings turned down?

-moved to new build planning-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

IMO, don't upgrade to anything less than a 1080Ti if you're running a 1060. In the long-term, the cost now will be amortized over the life of the card and the performance it carries. I just picked one up and the performance is eye-melting. Just skip take out and beers for a month and you'll make up the difference. Otherwise, wait to upgrade until the next generation, and start saving now.

8 minutes ago, Ja50n said:

That is a pretty small upgrade for the cost... are you dissatisfied with the performance of the 1060 in games? And if so, to what degree? Is it just an issue of not being able to turn settings all the way up, or are you experiencing frame rate issues even with settings turned down?

Running games at a decent ish rate, not always getting 60fps but only gaming at 1080p where would like to step up to 1440p at some point 

8 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

IMO, don't upgrade to anything less than a 1080Ti if you're running a 1060. In the long-term, the cost now will be amortized over the life of the card and the performance it carries. I just picked one up and the performance is eye-melting. Just skip take out and beers for a month and you'll make up the difference. Otherwise, wait to upgrade until the next generation, and start saving now.

Thing is dishing out £100 isn’t too bad for an upgrade. For a 1080ti id have to put another £300+ into it and don’t think that is  justifiable 

2 minutes ago, Owen99 said:

Thing is dishing out £100 isn’t too bad for an upgrade. For a 1080ti id have to put another £300+ into it and don’t think that is  justifiable 

That's very fair. I didn't think it was a good deal when I first considered it, either. In my situation, I was replacing 980's in SLI where I was fighting memory limitations, not performance issues. I performed multiple calculations on the cost, including $/kWh draw at the wall over time, and the cost of future upgrades, which lead me to abandon SLI in favor of a single card as powerful as I could spare.

I wanted to drive 1440 at pegged settings without limits, so my use-case was well-defined.

You're replacing a card that doesn't have my memory limitations, so your hesitation is justified. I only meant that if you're not happy with the current performance, adding a little bit more will make you unhappy again in a year when some game has massive textures or you get a bigger/faster monitor, etc., whereas a proper investment would stretch out that upgrade cycle. And consider that selling your 1060 used is a hassle and not often a great ROI for everyone.

If you want to look at the analysis, I'll put one together for you.

9 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

That's very fair. I didn't think it was a good deal when I first considered it, either. In my situation, I was replacing 980's in SLI where I was fighting memory limitations, not performance issues. I performed multiple calculations on the cost, including $/kWh draw at the wall over time, and the cost of future upgrades, which lead me to abandon SLI in favor of a single card as powerful as I could spare.

I wanted to drive 1440 at pegged settings without limits, so my use-case was well-defined.

You're replacing a card that doesn't have my memory limitations, so your hesitation is justified. I only meant that if you're not happy with the current performance, adding a little bit more will make you unhappy again in a year when some game has massive textures or you get a bigger/faster monitor, etc., whereas a proper investment would stretch out that upgrade cycle. And consider that selling your 1060 used is a hassle and not often a great ROI for everyone.

If you want to look at the analysis, I'll put one together for you.

My brother said he would buy me 1060 off me so that isn’t a issue as he only has a 780. I just think that obviously a 1070 would give me better performance now and allow me to game at 1440p in the future??

3 minutes ago, Owen99 said:

My brother said he would buy me 1060 off me so that isn’t a issue as he only has a 780. I just think that obviously a 1070 would give me better performance now and allow me to game at 1440p in the future??

Could you get a 1070Ti? That would offer you near-1080 performance for not much more money than the 1070, especially after overclocking.

5 minutes ago, Owen99 said:

You can look at 1440p performance of the 1070 on all the various TechTubers, and you still have time so it's worth doing the research. Personally, I don't think it's that promising. I truly regret buying my 980s and wish I had gone 980Ti. Had I done that, I would have skipped this cycle entirely.

8 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

You can look at 1440p performance of the 1070 on all the various TechTubers, and you still have time so it's worth doing the research. Personally, I don't think it's that promising. I truly regret buying my 980s and wish I had gone 980Ti. Had I done that, I would have skipped this cycle entirely.

Yeah, because I bought a 970, I had to buy a 1080 this round...