Help me assemble my "4k ready" cpu/mobo/memory build.

danforz

All, 

I currently have: 

• Devil's  Canyon (won't overclock for some reason)
  • Asus ROG Hero VII Maximus Motherboard 
  • Some ram I don't remember.
  • Aorus 1080ti
  • Corsair H115i v2 cooler
  • SSDs and HDs

I want to upgrade the cpu, mother, and even the memory, to be ready for when I purchase a 4k 144hz monitor (I will likely eventually SLI the graphics card too).

Please help me build the following:

1. Mother board / CPU combo. Mobo should be able to handle multiple things plugged into PCIE including SLI / high speed memory. I'm willing to do AMD or Intel. Will cool with my H115i.

2. Mother board should be ASUS ROG with Aorus lighting (yes, I will be RGBing this thing into infinity)

3. Ram will likely be GSkill Trident (because best rgb ;) )

Next, I want to make sure I have the fastest memory possible as well. 

1. Should I get m.2? 

2. Are there other better options?

Thanks

Hi, first there will be no 144hz 4K monitor any time soon (as far as I am aware). I think Acer and Asus are in the process of releasing 100hz it possibly 120hz 4K monitors. I expect they will be available in the spring but expect a very high price. 

As to the hardware you will need, you haven’t mentioned a budget but for 4K gaming the i7 8700k is still the best, although it’s possible the 9700k will be out when the high refresh rate 4K monitors come to market. Which will probably mean a new motherboard (z390? Z470? Who knows, this is intel)

For 8700k, just get an Asus z370 Sli capable board, most can do this this. 

You never need m.2, certainly not for gaming. That is only for high I/O content creators. Regular ssd for boot drive and either large capacity ssd or hdd for game library and you’re good. 

Love not hate

7 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Hi, first there will be no 144hz 4K monitor any time soon (as far as I am aware). I think Acer and Asus are in the process of releasing 100hz it possibly 120hz 4K monitors. I expect they will be available in the spring but expect a very high price. 

As to the hardware you will need, you haven’t mentioned a budget but for 4K gaming the i7 8700k is still the best, although it’s possible the 9700k will be out when the high refresh rate 4K monitors come to market. Which will probably mean a new motherboard (z390? Z470? Who knows, this is intel)

For 8700k, just get an Asus z370 Sli capable board, most can do this this. 

You never need m.2, certainly not for gaming. That is only for high I/O content creators. Regular ssd for boot drive and either large capacity ssd or hdd for game library and you’re good. 

Asus and Acer are both releasing 27" 144hz 4k w/ HDR & G-Sync. Was supposed to be Q4 2017 but delayed till I think Q1 2018.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Just now, PETRGangKing said:

Asus and Acer are both releasing 27" 144hz 4k w/ HDR & G-Sync.

Really? Wow, you know how much they’ll cost?

Love not hate

1 minute ago, jeremymwilson said:

~$1200 I would assume. 

Guys can we help me with my build? :)

I picked up a i7-8700k Coffee Lake (6 core LGA1151). 

What mother board? 

What is the fastest hard drive? SSD? M2?

Just now, jeremymwilson said:

They havent yet released prices to my knowledge. They are coming out with those, and also a 35" 3440x1440 200hz with all the same features. If I were to guess, I would say the 27" 4K will be between 999-1299, and the 35" between 1499-1999, both will probably be on the higher end of that scale. I paid $900 for my Asus 27" IPS 4k 60hz W/ G-sync and mine is the predecessor to the one they are releasing next  year.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

4 minutes ago, danforz said:

What mother board? 

gigabyte aorus gaming 7 or asrock taichi at the higher-end

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 minutes ago, danforz said:

What mother board? 

Depends on your budget, you said you wanted an asus board. Check out their website and you’ll be able to compare. 

Yes m.2 is faster than ssd but you won’t notice it in gaming. 

Love not hate

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

gigabyte aorus gaming 7 or asrock taichi at the higher-end

I want the RGB to sync with my case / ram and as much else as possible. I think I should use Asus to get their Aurus RGB

8 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

They've said around 1.2k at events however... if its anything like the 1440p 144hz launch panels i'd stay clear until they're fleshed out, the QC sucked at launch.

11 minutes ago, danforz said:

What mother board? 

If you want an Asus I would go with a Hero or the Strix-E. Otherwise pick up an Asrock Extreme 4 or Fatal1ty. For your SSD, just grab a samsung 850 Evo, or I think that Corsair has a m2-Nvme that is comparable in price to a SSD.

EDIT: I looked up corsair's drives and I must have seen one on sale, as the prices are much higher than when I seen them a few weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, danforz said:

I want the RGB to sync with my case / ram and as much else as possible. I think I should use Asus to get their Aurus RGB

Gigabyte's RGB fusion and Asrock's RGB sync will work just fine for that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W