Liquid Cooling Survey  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which is a better way to spend $60-80

• premium air cooler
    • entry level liquid
  2. 2. All in one vs. custom loop

• all in one
    • custom loop
  3. 3. Do larger radiator sizes make a meaningful difference?

• Yes, absolutely.
    • somewhat
    • no
  4. 4. Did you find installation of a customizable liquid cooler easy?

• Yes
    • somewhat
    • no
  5. 5. What is the sweetspot price range for a liquid cooler

• ~200
  6. 6. Which processors do you personally liquid cool?

• your cpu
    • you gpu
    • both gpu and cpu
  7. 7. would you buy a liquid cooler all over again?

• yes
    • no
  8. 8. how many additional frames per second do you gain in modern titles, switching from air to liquid

• ~5
    • ~10
    • ~15
    • 20+
    • ~25+
  9. 9. How would you describe the noise of a liquid cooler at low loads

• silent
    • quiet
    • slightly noisy
    • more noisy than you would like
  10. 10. At high loads, how much quieter is a liquid cooler than an air cooler, in your experience?

• much quieter
    • somewhat quieter
    • not at all quieter

as a reference for those possibly looking to buy one.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

A decent custom loop with CPU only is about $250 minimum, $350+ if you want your GPU in the loop.

IMO a custom loop is kind of pointless if you are only cooling CPU and only using a single rad setup with less than 360mm. Rule of thumb is at least 240mm per component, anything less is regressive for a custom loop.

In a nutshell I wouldn't recommend a custom loop unless you're going all out or at least plan on making additions to the loop which is not a simple process.  

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

"how many additional frames per second do you gain in modern titles, switching from air to liquid"

Basically none. Because liquid doesn't improve FPS. It improves temperatures and looks better.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

17 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Basically none. Because liquid doesn't improve FPS. It improves temperatures and looks better.

It may provide more OCing headroom to be fair...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Good idea for a thread OP. Personally I like having a custom loop. For me, it is a fun DIY project, looks aesthetically pleasing, provides better OCING (because of improved thermals), able to give maintenance to the loop (greatly increasing longevity as compared to AIOs), and it was a cool learning experience. 

I'm not sure about AIOs, but I would suggest custom loop cooling to any PC enthusiast who is interested in it.

29 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It may provide more OCing headroom to be fair...

well obviously it does. But going from air to liquid has no immediate benefit for frame rates.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Good idea bad implementation. You really need to work to your poll/survey skills. If you got time, do one properly if not it's better not to make any.

"Which is a better way to spend $60-80

• premium air cooler
  • entry level liquid"    
  • It was talked all over again. Depends on ram clearance, case clearance if you want an decent/premium air cooler.
  • "Do larger radiator sizes make a meaningful difference?" What kind of question is that? Of course it matters but not only the rad size. It matters the CPU block-pump combo as well. 240mm rad will have more time to cool the water inside.
  • "Which processors do you personally liquid cool?" Again, the CPU is the easiest to go with an AIO. Slamming an AIO on a GPU is not that easy and it doesn't worth. You're better going with an AIO solution already implemented buy manufacturers, i.e EVGA Hybrit, MSI Sea Hawk etc.

"how many additional frames per second do you gain in modern titles, switching from air to liquid" Doesn't gets you FPS directly, so not really relevant.

"At high loads, how much quieter is a liquid cooler than an air cooler, in your experience?" That depends on the brand you're going for. They are not the same, they don't sound the same.

Sorry to say that but useless post that creates more confusion that helps new builders.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz