Is there such a thing as an optimal build configuration for VR?

ReinD

I don't know if anyone's asked or answered this question before, but I'm wondering if there's an optimal build for VR - the least possible amount of jitter, maximum frame rate, least likely to give you VR sickness based on performance, etc. etc.

I develop VR applications at work and I can spend about $10K on new hardware - desktop, laptop for portability, and both the Rift and Vive. Most of my Googles for "best desktop/laptop for VR" link to articles that are suspect at best. All they do is rattle off hardware specs without any real VR performance testing. Also note that in some Unreal Engine developer forum posts elsewhere, some claim that they have better results with the Rift versus the Vive.

If you have any insights, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rein

"optimally" spending more is more better.

but essentially, you just want to make sure the cpu can handle the VR load with ease, there's plenty of ram, and then toss the rest on a GPU.

as for what "the VR load" is, that depends on what you'll be doing with it ;)

Throwing hardware at it will get you a good experience, but I'd argue you may want the opposite in addition. Get the lowest spec system that is supposed to be able to run VR, and make sure whatever you develop works on that. I'm assuming of course, you're going for what will be generally available content. Wouldn't apply if it was custom content for specific uses.

On Rift vs Vive, Rift does have the lower hardware requirements. They use more software tricks to enable a usable experience out of lower spec hardware, but I'd be cautious it is not "optimal".

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks, manikyath, porina. I will keep these things in mind.

As for hardware, the user will get whatever I specify, as the apps are for internal use only and run on dedicated systems.