are 3d printer bed mats worth it? or painters tape?

Legolessed

So on my davinchi jr printer I have just been using masking tape for the print bed and its been working great but I have to admit having a build mat would be kind of nice. It has a 6" by 6" build volume. So would a build mat be worth it to print on? At my school we use gaff tape for the print bed but thats really expensive though it does work extremely well. So ya any suggestions would be appreciated!

I just use the cheapest masking tape I can find, gluestick works too and is usually reusable.

But I've printed very large warp prone objects without any warp when printing onto cheap masking tape

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I just use the cheapest masking tape I can find, gluestick works too and is usually reusable.

But I've printed very large warp prone objects without any warp when printing onto cheap masking tape

Just now, ShadySocks said:

Depends how much money is burning a hole in your pocket.

alright so just stick with masking tape. I wish there was a way to make it so i didn't have to put the tape on and trim it though. Like something more reusable you know? Whenever i have to pry something off the masking tape, all the time, it usually tears and i have to replace it. Could i just put the glue stick directly on the glass and use that?

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

alright so just stick with masking tape. I wish there was a way to make it so i didn't have to put the tape on and trim it though. Like something more reusable you know? Whenever i have to pry something off the masking tape, all the time, it usually tears and i have to replace it. Could i just put the glue stick directly on the glass and use that?

Glue stick on glass works very well. I wash and reapply after like 10 prints, putting a thin layer on before each print.

Thicker layers generally work better

I use modpodge and glass partly because I'm using PETG now and I don't like having my bed too warm as the energy bills soar if you have the bed at 70oC compared to like 40oC. I wouldn't get buildtak personally I just love the bottom layer that glass can give you. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I'm a strong believer in a heated glass build plate with hair spray on it. Works great. 

ASU