R7 1700 temperature all over the place.

ttonk81

I am having some temperature problems with my R7 1700 that I just can't figure out. Sometimes it has run at 30c while idle yet other times it is around 50-60c. It seems like the idle temp changes when I have unplugged my system and moved it but I have not managed to confirm this yet.

System Specifications

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero WiFi

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

Graphics Card: ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC

PSU: Corsair AX860i

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

Boot SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

Other Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1x 2.5" HDD & 2x 3.5" HDD

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

CPU is not overclocked.

All settings in BIOS are default except enabling D.O.C.P Standard for my 3200MHz RAM

Latest BIOS in use.

CPU Cooler is in the top of the case with fans installed to push air through the radiator and out the top of the case.

CPU temp has ranged from 29 - 60 ish c while idle/light loads.

2x front fans pull air into the case, back fan and 2 on AIO exhaust air.

This may be standard practice for the motherboard/Ryzen but if I unplug my system, when I next boot it the system will start, stop, then start again like its trying to check something.

Currently, Corsair Link is showing 0 RPM for my H100i V2 fans but they are spinning so this is not the cause of the problem as before they stopped reporting I had the same temperature issues.

I am wanting to overclock my CPU to around 4GHz (whatever it will take) but need to sort out the erratic temperatures first.

HWMonitor.thumb.png.7b8b9114ba2f224618a5b7f90eff8d9b.png

RyzenMaster.png.580999665704a860d3507a2d3e5a3d1d.png

CorsairLink.png.e8c08930c3bba0cc8631a0e5e8151dad.png

I see no issues, you are good.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

9 minutes ago, Mathewjknott said:

I am having some temperature problems with my R7 1700 that I just can't figure out. Sometimes it has run at 30c while idle yet other times it is around 50-60c. It seems like the idle temp changes when I have unplugged my system and moved it but I have not managed to confirm this yet.

System Specifications

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero WiFi

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

Graphics Card: ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC

PSU: Corsair AX860i

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

Boot SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

Other Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1x 2.5" HDD & 2x 3.5" HDD

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

CPU is not overclocked.

All settings in BIOS are default except enabling D.O.C.P Standard for my 3200MHz RAM

Latest BIOS in use.

CPU Cooler is in the top of the case with fans installed to push air through the radiator and out the top of the case.

CPU temp has ranged from 29 - 60 ish c while idle/light loads.

2x front fans pull air into the case, back fan and 2 on AIO exhaust air.

This may be standard practice for the motherboard/Ryzen but if I unplug my system, when I next boot it the system will start, stop, then start again like its trying to check something.

Currently, Corsair Link is showing 0 RPM for my H100i V2 fans but they are spinning so this is not the cause of the problem as before they stopped reporting I had the same temperature issues.

I am wanting to overclock my CPU to around 4GHz (whatever it will take) but need to sort out the erratic temperatures first.

HWMonitor.thumb.png.7b8b9114ba2f224618a5b7f90eff8d9b.png

RyzenMaster.png.580999665704a860d3507a2d3e5a3d1d.png

CorsairLink.png.e8c08930c3bba0cc8631a0e5e8151dad.png

What cooler do you have? With my chip, albeit a Coffee Lake chip, if I open a set of software I'll jump up from idle temps of 31-35c to 55c for a second and then back to 35c. Is that what you are referring to? If so, then absolutely no worries!

With a water cooler, the longer you run a full workload, the warmer the liquid in the cooler will be, so even after you drop down to idle, your temps will be only as low as the liquid temperature, which can be somewhere in the 40-50c range until it cools off.

1 minute ago, Ja50n said:

With a water cooler, the longer you run a full workload, the warmer the liquid in the cooler will be, so even after you drop down to idle, your temps will be only as low as the liquid temperature, which can be somewhere in the 40-50c range until it cools off.

This.

My Ryzen sit's at 75c on idle and load.. LOL.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I get these temperatures as soon as I start the PC.

I have done nothing more than light web browsing/facebook/posting on this site yes my temp is sitting around 57c.

I know how watercoolers work etc but it's not down to that as the temp stays around the 55c mark even if i leave my pc to idle for an hour or more. This wouldn't explain how sometimes its 30c idle and other times 55c etc.

2 minutes ago, Mathewjknott said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention I get these temperatures as soon as I start the PC.

I have done nothing more than light web browsing/facebook/posting on this site yes my temp is sitting around 57c.

I know how watercoolers work etc but it's not down to that as the temp stays around the 55c mark even if i leave my pc to idle for an hour or more. This wouldn't explain how sometimes its 30c idle and other times 55c etc.

Do you watch your CPU usage during these times? It could also be hidden Windows processes heating up your computer.

I have not been no. I just set Corsair Link to log to a file the VCPU, CPU Package Temp, CPU Load and H100i temp.

I'll leave it running for a few hours and post results later.

Go into msconfig (Start Menu -> Run) and temporarily disable everything that's in startup. Disable unnecessary, non-Microsoft services. Basically, close all the useless crap that could be using the CPU. Open HWMonitor only and monitor the Package temperature at true idle. Watch the CPU usage.

One thing to keep in mind, Ryzen Master will not allow the CPU to be completely idle. On my system, Ryzen Master constantly eats about 10% CPU and my temperature fluctuates. Baseline 30c with spikes around 50 before settling back down. Once I close Ryzen Master, my Package temp sits at 30c consistently.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

38 minutes ago, johndms said:

Go into msconfig (Start Menu -> Run) and temporarily disable everything that's in startup. Disable unnecessary, non-Microsoft services. Basically, close all the useless crap that could be using the CPU. Open HWMonitor only and monitor the Package temperature at true idle. Watch the CPU usage.

One thing to keep in mind, Ryzen Master will not allow the CPU to be completely idle. On my system, Ryzen Master constantly eats about 10% CPU and my temperature fluctuates. Baseline 30c with spikes around 50 before settling back down. Once I close Ryzen Master, my Package temp sits at 30c consistently.

Don't know why I didn't think of doing that before.:|

So anyhow with nothing running in startup and disabling all non Microsoft services my temperature sits at a nice 30c

I guess now I just need to work out what it is that's keeping my temps up. I did recently install the ASUS software to see what it was like so ill remove that and see how it goes.

After uninstalling the ASUS software, my temperature is down to around 35c and my fan speed is showing up in corsair link again.

Guess that was the problem then.

What sort of temperature should I be looking for with an OC to around 4GHz?

1 hour ago, Mathewjknott said:

After uninstalling the ASUS software, my temperature is down to around 35c and my fan speed is showing up in corsair link again.

Guess that was the problem then.

What sort of temperature should I be looking for with an OC to around 4GHz?

I tend to recommend not exceeding 80c during full load. Use a stress test like Aida64 stressing CPU/FPU/Cache with HWMonitor open. Keep an eye on Package Temperature.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz