Do RGB Splitters work with motherboards?

LeMesRez

Hi to all,

I am planning a new build focussed on RGB primarily. The case most likely will be Corsair Crystal 460X Non RGB since the RGB version comes with corsair SP120 RGB fans that don't support ASUS Aura Sync (since I will most likely be getting an Asus ROG Strix Z370-E board) or any other RGB sync solutions except corsair's own one. Therefore, I will be using Aura Sync compatible fans (currently only CM fans support it and are available here in India). Since there are a total of 6 fan slots, will it be possible to use an RGB splitter cable such as these to connect all the fans together to the 2 RGB headers on the motherboard?:

http://amzn.to/2i9G1SJ

OR

http://amzn.to/2AfkP4M

Thanks in advance!

Yep. CM have a splitter you can buy, but there are others too. It will work fine.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

1 minute ago, JaegerB said:

Yep. CM have a splitter you can buy, but there are others too. It will work fine.

yeah I saw the CM splitter but it costs more than double I guess than the other non branded ones..great to know it will work..thanx!

Can you also suggest which CM fans should be put in the front of the Corsair 460X and which ones on the top and the back? Thanx again!

9 hours ago, LeMesRez said:

Can you also suggest which CM fans should be put in the front of the Corsair 460X and which ones on the top and the back? Thanx again!

Are you buying all RGB fans? I'll assume so. It's all about ratios IMO. You can have 2 (pulling in) on the front and 1 (pulling out) on the back, or 3 and 2. You want to have more pulling in than pushing out because that creates positive pressure. Positive pressure means that all the air needs somewhere to go (as it isn't being pulled out fast enough), so it will come out of the little cracks and seams in your case. This pushes away any dust that would come in. 

The Masterfan Pro 120/140 RGB Air Flows would be fine for the front and back, and you could get the air pressure ones if you have a radiator and put them on that (pressure fans push air faster, flow fans push more air but not as fast).

Hope it helped.

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, JaegerB said:

Are you buying all RGB fans? I'll assume so. It's all about ratios IMO. You can have 2 (pulling in) on the front and 1 (pulling out) on the back, or 3 and 2. You want to have more pulling in than pushing out because that creates positive pressure. Positive pressure means that all the air needs somewhere to go (as it isn't being pulled out fast enough), so it will come out of the little cracks and seams in your case. This pushes away any dust that would come in. 

The Masterfan Pro 120/140 RGB Air Flows would be fine for the front and back, and you could get the air pressure ones if you have a radiator and put them on that (pressure fans push air faster, flow fans push more air but not as fast).

Hope it helped.

Indeed, I'm going with all RGB fans..not a fan of water cooling though, will stick to Hyper 212X or a better air cooler for the i5 8600K. Is this fan setup ok as per you?

3 Front intakes, 1 intake at the top and 2 exhausts, one at the top and the back? Since I wont have a radiator, all fans should be air flow? Also, will the top intake and exhaust fans work against each other being side by side?

EDIT: Also found this reddit thread about the CM fans: 

17 hours ago, LeMesRez said:

3 Front intakes, 1 intake at the top and 2 exhausts, one at the top and the back? Since I wont have a radiator, all fans should be air flow? Also, will the top intake and exhaust fans work against each other being side by side?

You should try for positive pressure. That is, have more intakes than exhausts. Having three intakes on the front, one exhaust on the back, and one exhaust on the front should suit you fine. I haven't tried putting exhausts next to intakes, but I'll hazard a guess that it will probably reduce each fan's efficiency, and is unnecessary for your set-up anyway.

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, JaegerB said:

Having three intakes on the front, one exhaust on the back, and one exhaust on the front should suit you fine.

You mean 3 intakes on the front, 2 intakes on the top and 1 exhaust on the back right? 3 intakes and 1 exhaust on the front is not possible since there are only 3 slots in the front.. :|

18 hours ago, LeMesRez said:

You mean 3 intakes on the front, 2 intakes on the top and 1 exhaust on the back right? 3 intakes and 1 exhaust on the front is not possible since there are only 3 slots in the front.. :|

Sorry, I meant to say one on the top. My mistake. You should still try to have more intakes than exhausts however.

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, JaegerB said:

Sorry, I meant to say one on the top. My mistake. You should still try to have more intakes than exhausts however.

Then I guess total of 5 intakes (3 front and 2 on top) with just 1 exhaust at the back would be the best right?

9 minutes ago, LeMesRez said:

Then I guess total of 5 intakes (3 front and 2 on top) with just 1 exhaust at the back would be the best right?

Your top is best suited as exhaust, as heat rises. Personally, I would do the front 3 as intakes and the back/top as exhaust, but if you are trying to create positive pressure, You would be better suited doing front and back as intake and exhaust up top.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

1 minute ago, PETRGangKing said:

Your top is best suited as exhaust, as heat rises. Personally, I would do the front 3 as intakes and the back/top as exhaust, but if you are trying to create positive pressure, You would be better suited doing front and back as intake and exhaust up top.

This would be better I guess. Thanks! One last thing, if I'm using CM Air Balance fans as intakes, would the same be alright for the 2 exhausts on the top or some other variant of the CM lineup?

2 minutes ago, LeMesRez said:

This would be better I guess. Thanks! One last thing, if I'm using CM Air Balance fans as intakes, would the same be alright for the 2 exhausts on the top or some other variant of the CM lineup?

Yes, you could use those for the exhausts as well. 

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |