My Hard Drive is nearly 100% active load all the time

prestonthepilot

As shown in the picture I have very few things running yet my hard drive is still at around 96% active load all the time during normal use. It actually jumps to 100% for about 5 minutes after startup. Is it my drive or have I done something wrong? (The PC is about 9 months old now) The drive is a WD 1TB 7200 RPM HDD. Pls help me.

Dumb_HDD.PNG

You should try restaerting your computer then as quick as you can logon, open "Resource Monitor" (you can click on the little thing at the bottom of task manager).

Then go to disks and sort by disk usage.

Then wait a bit and you should be able to see which process/program is using up so much.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, ntoskrnl said:

Go to the "Processes" tab and sort by Disk, what does it have there?

IhateHDD.PNG

3 minutes ago, ntoskrnl said:

4 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

You should try restaerting your computer then as quick as you can logon, open "Resource Monitor" (you can click on the little thing at the bottom of task manager).

Then wait a bit and you should be able to see which process/program is using up so much.

Captureddd.PNG

9 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

8 minutes ago, ntoskrnl said:

I just ended the Windows Updater task and the disk dropped to 1%, I think I fixed it but is that task necessary?

5 minutes ago, prestonthepilot said:

-snip-

XDXDXDXDXD Big Booming voice WINDOWS 10 HAS STRUCK AGAINNN!

Yep. There's not too much you can do about updates. The hard drive probably just needs a rest. Some of them just can't handle prolonged periods of writing. 

The same thing happens to a person I know's laptop HDD, don't think there's much you can do to solve it.

1 minute ago, prestonthepilot said:

I just ended the Windows Updater task and the disk dropped to 1%, I think I fixed it but is that task necessary?

Welp. You tell me. How many updates do you want your windows to have? 

Yeah W10 is pretty much a jumble of random bugs stuffed into a nice-looking OS. 

/unjerk I'd recommend running it every once in a while but you don't need it on 24/7

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Heh, I got ninja'd..

Anyway, it's up to you to decide if you're okay with that solution. If it comes back then you could do that again or you could try and find a different solution, it's up to you.

Personally, I'd wait and see if it does it again.

Furry EE student, amateur radio operator, and part-time programmer. https://twitter.com/ntoskrnl4

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

XDXDXDXDXD Big Booming voice WINDOWS 10 HAS STRUCK AGAINNN!

Yep. There's not too much you can do about updates. The hard drive probably just needs a rest. Some of them just can't handle prolonged periods of writing. 

The same thing happens to a person I know's laptop HDD, don't think there's much you can do to solve it.

Welp. You tell me. How many updates do you want your windows to have? 

Yeah W10 is pretty much a jumble of random bugs stuffed into a nice-looking OS. 

/unjerk I'd recommend running it every once in a while but you don't need it on 24/7

Thanks, I have been putting my hard drive through a beating for the past month or so, fantastic to experience another great microsoft product. 

Just now, ntoskrnl said:

Heh, I got ninja'd..

Anyway, it's up to you to decide if you're okay with that solution. If it comes back then you could do that again or you could try and find a different solution, it's up to you.

Personally, I'd wait and see if it does it again.

Thanks for the advice I will probably leave it be for a week or so and then let it come back online 

I just disabled the Windows Update service. Randomly eating my SSD and 25% of my cpu is grounds to kill it.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…