Laptop for £500

Patalayus
Go to solution Solved by IntMD,

If he wants new, there isn't too much about for that price tbh with those features. About the best I can find are this Lenovo at PC World for £379.00 at present (link) - and i think this might only be valid for today at that price too. It has a 14" screen, and backlit keyboard. It only has a HDD in it, but you could put an ssd in there instead with the under £500 rule. The RAM can apparently be upgraded to 8gb too if needed. No idea if that AMD cpu is any good though or not.

Hi Guys,

Trying to help someone with purchasing a laptop. It needs to have an SSD, be 14" or more and be £500.00 or lower.

As well as this, it will need a back-lit keyboard because often working in the dark is something he has to deal with.

Thanks,

Pat.

is the person comfortable with used hardware? you can get all sorts of laptops for that money on the used market. from Macbook Pro's to HP probooks and Lenovo Thinkpads. you can fit an SSD in those yourself.

She/Her

If he wants new, there isn't too much about for that price tbh with those features. About the best I can find are this Lenovo at PC World for £379.00 at present (link) - and i think this might only be valid for today at that price too. It has a 14" screen, and backlit keyboard. It only has a HDD in it, but you could put an ssd in there instead with the under £500 rule. The RAM can apparently be upgraded to 8gb too if needed. No idea if that AMD cpu is any good though or not.

Thanks for the feedback guys, that last one looks the most promising.

14 hours ago, IntMD said:

No idea if that AMD cpu is any good though or not.

It's BAD, ancient performance, can't even handle normal usage well

OP, try to find something with KB-R CPU (8250U,8550U) like Asus A510 and Acer Aspire 5

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

OP, try to find something with KB-R CPU (8250U,8550U) like Asus A510 and Acer Aspire 5

kaby lake itself is fine too. and Acer is bad quality. Asus is fine :)

She/Her

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

kaby lake itself is fine too. and Acer is bad quality. Asus is fine :)

Why get a laptop with Kaby Lake ULV CPU when you can get a laptop with faster KB-R ULV CPU for about the same price? Also, not all Acer laptops are bad. Every brand has good and bad products so buy by model, not brand.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

It's BAD, ancient performance, can't even handle normal usage well

Good luck getting any of those in the UK new for less than £500.00, with everything the guy actually wants to be in the laptop... I picked the other one out for a reason.

FYI - 7th gen Acer aspire 5 is currently on sale on Amazon (cheapest one I can see which includes an SSD), but is still over £500.00, and has bang average reviews and a . The non-SSD versions are pretty much £500.00. Also the Aspire 5 (around that price, anyway) don't even come with a 1080p screen either, while the Yoga does have.

12 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Why get a laptop with Kaby Lake ULV CPU when you can get a laptop with faster KB-R ULV CPU for about the same price? Also, not all Acer laptops are bad. Every brand has good and bad products so buy by model, not brand.

yeah okay, but if you can get a good deal on a 7th gen laptop with an ssd, it'll be better for general use than an 8th gen with a hdd.

and i agree with you that you should buy by model, but there is a thing as general quality with certain brands. every acer laptop around this price that i've used (a lot of people i know have them) has a terrible keyboard and a frankly unusable trackpad. so yeah, i know acer makes some good products, but i just had bad experience with this pricepoint.

She/Her