is my monitor ghosting/how do I get rid of it?

saltbox23k

hi

so I just startet setting up my new pc and my monitor is the dell s2716dg (1ms response time, 144hz, gync). when im just browsing the web and scroll up and down, the text (on a website) seems to have aa white “imprint” on the screen that is “lagging behind” the actual text. is this ghosting? can I fix it?

2 minutes ago, saltbox23k said:

hi

so I just startet setting up my new pc and my monitor is the dell s2716dg (1ms response time, 144hz, gync). when im just browsing the web and scroll up and down, the text (on a website) seems to have aa white “imprint” on the screen that is “lagging behind” the actual text. is this ghosting? can I fix it?

check the Overdrive option in the monitors OSD menu. Set it to higher value if you can (it may not always work properly though and may cause weird glitches).

the only real way you can control that is look in the menu to see if there's some sort of motion blur reduction feature.  They can sometimes help but at the expense of "overshooting" and causing other unpleasant artifacts.  I'm not sure if this will be what you want but it's the closest thing to it that you actually can control

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

check the Overdrive option in the monitors OSD menu. Set it to higher value if you can (it may not always work properly though and may cause weird glitches).

Yeah if you set it too high you get overshoots, basically just ghosting in the opposite direction (inverse color).

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

the only real way you can control that is look in the menu to see if there's some sort of motion blur reduction feature.  They can sometimes help but at the expense of "overshooting" and causing other unpleasant artifacts.  I'm not sure if this will be what you want but it's the closest thing to it that you actually can control

Motion blur reduction is usually a different thing. Though terminology in monitor settings can vary a lot.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Motion blur reduction is usually a different thing. Though terminology in monitor settings can vary a lot.

I didn't realize there were even two different settings... and isn't motion blur and ghosting just two side effects of the same thing (pixels not being able to change fast enough)?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I didn't realize there were even two different settings... and isn't motion blur and ghosting just two side effects of the same thing (pixels not being able to change fast enough)?

Depends on terminology used, but strictly speaking they are separate. Even if pixels switch infinitely fast, you would still get motion blur when a monitor holds the image in one place for 16.7ms (or 8.3 etc), then moves it and holds it in place for another 16.7ms etc. - because your eyes are moving smoothly across the screen to follow this simulated motion.

Motion blur reduction usually means strobing the backlight; the backlight turns off while the pixels are still switching, then turns on when they've had time to switch, and moving images are in the "right" spot for your eyes. Overdrive is instead a method for making the pixels switch faster (with the risk that they'll switch "too fast" and overshoot beyond the intended color).

Just now, Sakkura said:

Depends on terminology used, but strictly speaking they are separate. Even if pixels switch infinitely fast, you would still get motion blur when a monitor holds the image in one place for 16.7ms (or 8.3 etc), then moves it and holds it in place for another 16.7ms etc. - because your eyes are moving smoothly across the screen to follow this simulated motion.

Motion blur reduction usually means strobing the backlight; the backlight turns off while the pixels are still switching, then turns on when they've had time to switch, and moving images are in the "right" spot for your eyes. Overdrive is instead a method for making the pixels switch faster (with the risk that they'll switch "too fast" and overshoot beyond the intended color).

Oh, well I think I was thinking of overdrive then :P I could swear I've seen some monitors refer to it as motion blur reduction though, which would make sense since that's what it seems to help with.