new phone for teen daughter

xwrench3

i have put this off as long as i could. but the time has come that my daughter needs a phone. so i am about 90% certain i want to buy her either a motorola g4+ or a motorola e4. but i am not sure which would make a better phone. the android 7 with a quad core, or android 6 with an octa core processor. i think either of the cameras would be fine, actually either phone would be a HUGE upgrade from using my old Nokia 620 on occasion. i just want to get her the one that would make her the most happy. she will use all of the phones functions, wi fi, 4g, camera, music, surfing the web, u tube etc. i am quite inexperienced with android, so i do not know which would work better. thoughts PLEASE! thanks.

oneplus 5t is a awesome "budget" phone

A friend of me has a motorola and he is happy about it, never had any trouble with it.

i have had a few also, and they have served me well. one of my factors for choosing motorola is we live in a quite rural location, and they seem to pick up a signal better than most phones. 

11 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

i have put this off as long as i could. but the time has come that my daughter needs a phone. so i am about 90% certain i want to buy her either a motorola g4+ or a motorola e4. but i am not sure which would make a better phone. the android 7 with a quad core, or android 6 with an octa core processor. i think either of the cameras would be fine, actually either phone would be a HUGE upgrade from using my old Nokia 620 on occasion. i just want to get her the one that would make her the most happy. she will use all of the phones functions, wi fi, 4g, camera, music, surfing the web, u tube etc. i am quite inexperienced with android, so i do not know which would work better. thoughts PLEASE! thanks.

E4 has a MediaTek chipset... So who knows how it will work. And it's only 720p. So I think G4+ is a better choice.

thank you. i did notice the camera pixel difference, but i wasnt sure how much difference it would make on the phone viewing. but i guess it would make a big difference when she sends the photos. i dont know the difference on the chip set manufacturer. this old nokia is my first "smartphone" if you want to call it that. i will be looking to replace it soon, but kids Christmas have priority.

27 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

Used Note 4, works great.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

thank you. i did notice the camera pixel difference, but i wasnt sure how much difference it would make on the phone viewing. but i guess it would make a big difference when she sends the photos. i dont know the difference on the chip set manufacturer. this old nokia is my first "smartphone" if you want to call it that. i will be looking to replace it soon, but kids Christmas have priority.

G4+ has a Snapdragon which is a really popular brand, it's in most of the high-end smartphones and MediaTek is an opposite of that ;) And yes, it has more pixels, but well... If you want a good camera maybe you shouldn't aim for Motorola. Just check on YouTube or somewhere else, but I remember that Motorola have some problems with their cameeras. But I didn't say anything about camere before, I meant display resolution and in fact 720p it's enough for a smartphone... They have similar batteris so in E4 it should last longer because of lower resolution.

so what make has a good camera? and easy enough for an inexperienced teen to use without to much frustration.

1 minute ago, xwrench3 said:

so what make has a good camera? and easy enough for an inexperienced teen to use without to much frustration.

For this budget I don't really know. It will be easy for her to use, but the quality may be mediocre 

yes, for her first phone i do not want to go to expensive. it took her 4 years  (and half a dozen screens) to finally learn to take care of her tablet. plus she is pretty absent minded. i do not want to be buying some other kid a really nice phone because she set it down some place and forgot to pick it up.

13 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

yes, for her first phone i do not want to go to expensive. it took her 4 years  (and half a dozen screens) to finally learn to take care of her tablet. plus she is pretty absent minded. i do not want to be buying some other kid a really nice phone because she set it down some place and forgot to pick it up.

Those phones are pretty good for a prize. As for camera, if she isn't into photography than it doesn't matter that much - it will be surely enough for Instagram or sth. ;) Phones made by Xiaomi are also pretty good quality for their price, if you'd like check it out.

well, i ordered a Motorola G5 plus for her.  now i have a question about the micro sd card for it. they make so many different ones, is the suffix important? as in micro sd hc,hx,etc. will any of them work? or will i need to buy a specific one?

22 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

well, i ordered a Motorola G5 plus for her.  now i have a question about the micro sd card for it. they make so many different ones, is the suffix important? as in micro sd hc,hx,etc. will any of them work? or will i need to buy a specific one?

I think you can buy any of those cards, those letters are for cards with different capacity, just make sure it is supported by G5.  Check this out: http://www.overclock.net/t/739577/micro-sd-sd-hc-sd-xc-differences-explained

Also check this, because it seems that there are some problems with some cards in G5 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Moto-G5-Compatible-SD-Card-for-Internal-Storage/td-p/3661072

Anyway, good choice! 

On 11/24/2017 at 8:16 PM, Bartb56 said:

oneplus 5t is a awesome "budget" phone

That is factually incorrect.

The 5T is a high end phone. A budget phone costs between 100-200 USD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

20 hours ago, nishe1 said:
20 hours ago, xwrench3 said:

I think you can buy any of those cards, those letters are for cards with different capacity, just make sure it is supported by G5.  Check this out: http://www.overclock.net/t/739577/micro-sd-sd-hc-sd-xc-differences-explained

Thanks for the article, that clears that up completely. now i know why there is such a wide price range in them. 

Also check this, because it seems that there are some problems with some cards in G5 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Moto-G5-Compatible-SD-Card-for-Internal-Storage/td-p/3661072

Double thanks on this! i would have just bought the cheapest one, and called it a day.

Anyway, good choice! 

thanks, i just kept looking at the differences between phones, and for the little bit of extra $, it just seemed obvious that the upgrades were well worth the price. i just wish i would have had enough money to buy 2 of them, so i could upgrade my own phone as well.

Just now, xwrench3 said:

You're welcome. Buying cheapest one for the gift is a bad idea, it's better to chose some good brand to be sure it works.

It's always better to buy newer, it will be supported longer, you won't miss on soft updates. Maybe you could buy yourself a G5 or G4+ or even G4 Play. Or just wait, it should get cheaper, they will release G6 the next year.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:44 PM, xwrench3 said:

for an inexperienced teen

once you've given her the new phone, can I have her number?

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

she is 13, but you needn't worry about jail. you would have to deal with me.and i promise jail would be a hawaiian vacation compared to dealing with me.