Help, please, with CPU questions and concerns. Thank you.

Hello. Let me start with what I have to work with:

Thermaltake V1
Gigabyte H110 LGA 1151 mini ITX
i3 6100
8GB DDR4 2400
EVGA 500 watt PSU
1TB WD Black

Edit: budget is around $800.

I have a Gigabyte H110 LGA 1151. I also have an i3 6100 in it. I am looking to play games on this thing. I am also in school for motion graphics...alot if Photoshop and After Effects.

I know that I can put a 6700 in there, and I believe I can also get a 7700 in there, too, with a BIOS update. I don't know exactly what to do, though.

I would like to know if there is a huge difference between the 6700 and the 7700, or perhaps even getting a new mobo with an 8700 (but then we are talking more money, of course). If there isn't a big difference between them, I would like to take the path of least resistance and the least inexpensive route.

I am also looking to add a GPU. I will be playing at 1080p@60fps for the foreseeable future. Looking at a 1070 or 1070 ti.

If anyone has any knowledge that they could drop on me, I would surely appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for all of your help and advice!

Like @mpsparrow said... What is your buget?

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

if you are willing to spend the money on an upgrade, spend a bit more and get the new mobo and 8700k. it is a 12 thread 4.7GHz 12MB cache cpu, instead of the 8 thread 8MB cache 6700k and 7700k. effectively you are getting a third more performance to go with the 8700k, it would be silly at this point to buy the 67 or 7700k

furthermore, if you are dropping the cash to go with a high end processor, get the K series, even if you dont overclock it, you at least will have a better binned chip. but, once again if you are buying a high performance chip, throw some more volts at it and get free performance

1 minute ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

if you are willing to spend the money on an upgrade, spend a bit more and get the new mobo and 8700k. it is a 12 thread 4.7GHz 12MB cache cpu, instead of the 8 thread 8MB cache 6700k and 7700k. effectively you are getting a third more performance to go with the 8700k, it would be silly at this point to buy the 67 or 7700k

If he is buying a new mobo, what about Ryzen?

The 6700 and 7700 are basically the same performance wise. If spending the money is not an issue, do a platform upgrade and get the mobo + 8700k. No sense buying something that is already obsolete(in terms of what is currently avalible on the market.. by no means are a 67 or 7700k 'obsolete' performance wise!). 

Just my 2-cents.

I am whatever I am. 

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

If he is buying a new mobo, what about Ryzen?

Ryzen could be a good alternative, but a 12 thread chip at i7 speed and price would be hard to beat. im not too familiar with ryzen chips to know how they compare

1 minute ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Ryzen could be a good alternative, but a 12 thread chip at i7 speed and price would be hard to beat. im not too familiar with ryzen chips to know how they compare

I just say Ryzen because he could get a 6 core CPU with motherboard for cheaper then a 8700k if he watches for sales.

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I just say Ryzen because he could get a 6 core CPU with motherboard for cheaper then a 8700k if he watches for sales.

Don't even have to wait for a sale at this point: 
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sRgvcc

Could go for this if you wanted to spend slightly more:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Phs3jc

I am whatever I am. 

I assume school > gaming. In that case you need an SSD + 8700 + mobo. I'm not sure how demanding photoshop is on ram, but if you only have 8 gbs that might not be enough. Maybe someone else could answer that. If you can't do without gaming than comprise and get a 7700 + ssd + gtx 1070 ti. 

57 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Main thing is, what is your budget?

53 minutes ago, ScrappyZeDog said:

Like @mpsparrow said... What is your buget?

Sorry... Around $800.

54 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

furthermore, if you are dropping the cash to go with a high end processor, get the K series, even if you dont overclock it, you at least will have a better binned chip. but, once again if you are buying a high performance chip, throw some more volts at it and get free performance

48 minutes ago, N3rot0xin said:

The 6700 and 7700 are basically the same performance wise. If spending the money is not an issue, do a platform upgrade and get the mobo + 8700k. No sense buying something that is already obsolete(in terms of what is currently avalible on the market.. by no means are a 67 or 7700k 'obsolete' performance wise!). 

Just my 2-cents.

I have just about $800 to spend and I need a CPU and a GPU. 

9 minutes ago, testudoaubreii said:

Get an i5 8400, wait till the cheaper mobo's come out (forgot what they are called) (for cpu and mobo it will be around 270-300) and you will have $500-$530 to get a GPU, and you could get a gtx 1080 (or go for 1070ti or 1070 and get more ram)

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

2 hours ago, testudoaubreii said:

i7 8700k ~350$

rx 580 8GB ~300$

or a GTX 1060 6GB ~330$

leaving ~150$ for a mobo

keep in mind tax though

source for all these is amazon, but you could probably find better deals.

if you really want a 1070, then go with the 7700k and same mobo, but id highly suggest to get an 8th gen i7.

saving a bit more cash and buying better gear now beats having to buy a whole new system sooner in the future.

~100-200 extra bucks now, or another 800 sooner in the future

just my 2 cents

i have an rx 480 8GB MSI pro gamingX with a i7 6700k @ 4.5 GHz and i do CAD work and some Photoshop and 4K video work with DaVinci Resolve and it handles it no problem.

also the rx 480 crushes at 1080p, i run at 1440p with max or near max setting no problem. GTA5 runs at over 100fps 

with the 4 more threads and higher cache and clock speed of the 8700k and the higher clock speed of the 580 youll do even better. or 1060 if you are team green

here's my build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/vpd6Mp

24 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

i7 8700k ~350$

rx 580 8GB ~300$

or a GTX 1060 6GB ~330$

leaving ~150$ for a mobo

keep in mind tax though

source for all these is amazon, but you could probably find better deals.

if you really want a 1070, then go with the 7700k and same mobo, but id highly suggest to get an 8th gen i7.

saving a bit more cash and buying better gear now beats having to buy a whole new system sooner in the future.

~100-200 extra bucks now, or another 800 sooner in the future

just my 2 cents

i have an rx 480 8GB MSI pro gamingX with a i7 6700k @ 4.5 GHz and i do CAD work and some Photoshop and 4K video work with DaVinci Resolve and it handles it no problem.

also the rx 480 crushes at 1080p, i run at 1440p with max or near max setting no problem. GTA5 runs at over 100fps 

with the 4 more threads and higher cache and clock speed of the 8700k and the higher clock speed of the 580 youll do even better. or 1060 if you are team green

here's my build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/vpd6Mp

Thank you!