monitor for photo and video editing

ipkj0o148

so i'm looking to buy a new monitor for my editing/gaming rig, the minimum i want is 2560x 1440p on a 27" screen and a higher refresh rate (around 144hz) and if possible gsync.
it'll mainly be used for photo editing, gaming and video editing so i want a monitor with a wide color spectrum.  

This is really tricky.

Color accurate monitors are expensive, and high refresh rate monitors are expensive. The two also don't mix for the time being.

Many color accurate monitors use high quality IPS panels, which have the advantage of excellent color reproduction, but terrible response times (>10ms). High refresh rate monitors use high quality TN panels, which have the advantage of very high refresh rates (>120Hz) but terrible color reproduction. You may want to consider two monitors, one for gaming and one for editing.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

i see ok never new about might look into that then and wich 2 would you recommend for each setup?

I recently bought the Dell Ultrasharp U2515Hx after receiving a few recommendations for this purpose. It's not the most color accurate monitor ever, but it comes factory calibrated with 99%sRGB guaranteed.

19 minutes ago, ipkj0o148 said:

i see ok never new about might look into that then and wich 2 would you recommend for each setup?

I personally love the Asus ProArt series of monitors (PAxxxx) for color. I do a lot of color work on video, and those are the monitors that I swear by.

I don't do high refresh monitors (never needed or wanted them), but the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q looks good. Even though it's an IPS panel, it does trade off some of the color accuracy for faster pixel response, up to 165Hz. It is only 8-bit, and I wouldn't use it for color sensitive applications.

EDIT: Also take a look at the Asus VG248QE for your gaming monitor. It's fast (not as fast as the PG279Q, but still fast) and cheaper.

Edited by kimsejin5

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

15 hours ago, ipkj0o148 said:

so i'm looking to buy a new monitor for my editing/gaming rig, the minimum i want is 2560x 1440p on a 27" screen and a higher refresh rate (around 144hz) and if possible gsync.
it'll mainly be used for photo editing, gaming and video editing so i want a monitor with a wide color spectrum.  

How serious are you about working with photos and videos?  The cheapest I would recommend would be a Dell Premiere Color screen with wide gamut and 10-Bit color.  There are various models, the cheapest is around $600-800, with FRC 10-bit and not true 10-bit.  A true 10-bit monitor will be more expensive and they begin around $1000 for good quality models.

I wouldn’t really rely on an Asus monitor for color work.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins