Recommended PSU For:

Rflynn94

I am going to upgrade my GTX 1070 to a GTX1080ti. Currently I have a Corsair CX600 PSU and am wondering if this wound be enough to power my pc, if not how much watts would I need, plus a recommendation for a good, cheap 80+ gold PSU <what ever wattage would suffice>. My PC will be  i7 6700k OC, GTX 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 LPX RAM, 5 case fans, Hyper 212 Cooler, 128gb SSD, 1TB HDD, 3TB HDD.

Go to Cooler Master's site and find PSU calculator and find the recommended power supply there.

The wattage on the PSU is plenty, the issue with it is the quality of it. And since you can afford an unlocked I7 and a 1080 Ti, you can afford a decent PSU.

What country do you live in? The availability and pricing varies by country. 

Any tier 1-2 unit in the tier list is good. 550W is plenty.

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Currently living in the UK. I was looking at getting this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Supply-210-GQ-0650-V3/dp/B017ROH8A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511454145&sr=8-1&keywords=650w+psu+gold, as when i build the pc I was on a strict budget and only had a FX8300 and a GTX 760 and have neglected the PSU while upgrading everything else

An i7-6700K will draw 91W at stock-tiny bit more at OC. Not sure whether OC with air cooler is recommended. The cooler will take only 10W (even AiO coolers only take less than 20W). The fans, storage, and memory don't take much. The graphics card will take 250W at stock. So 300W at OC or load. The motherboard (usually a good one) will take around a 100W or even 150W (in my case-an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming). Seeing you won't need more than 550W, you should get EVGA Supernova 650 G2 power supply. Though it won't be able to handle SLI if you do that in the future. Want that? Get an EVGA Supernova 850 G2 power supply. Way more future proof. Since you have the money for a 1080 Ti, you should get the 850W one. Very good. 

Your 600W PSU is of good quality and capable of driving the components. Don't use any calculators as they only add TDP which isn't an indication nor is it close to actual consumption. 

@Rflynn94 Since you're looking for a recommendation, I'd choose the 650W G2 (G3 has a loud fan). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 minutes ago, Rflynn94 said:

The RMx is one of the quietest PSUs on the market. The 550W or 650W versions are plenty. 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Your 600W PSU is of good quality and capable of driving the components. Don't use any calculators as they only add TDP which isn't an indication nor is it close to actual consumption. 

The CX600 is crap quality. It's capable of providing enough power, but it just screams of bad quality and low cost

10 minutes ago, ReyazJunior said:

An i7-6700K will draw 91W at stock-tiny bit more at OC. Not sure whether OC with air cooler is recommended. The cooler will take only 10W (even AiO coolers only take less than 20W). The fans, storage, and memory don't take much. The graphics card will take 250W at stock. So 300W at OC or load. The motherboard (usually a good one) will take around a 100W or even 150W (in my case-an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming). Seeing you won't need more than 550W, you should get EVGA Supernova 650 G2 power supply. Though it won't be able to handle SLI if you do that in the future. Want that? Get an EVGA Supernova 850 G2 power supply. Way more future proof. Since you have the money for a 1080 Ti, you should get the 850W one. Very good. 

The motherboard doesn't use more than 20-30w on the onboard things (chipset, onboard sound, onboard network chip).

You're pretty close on the other things, the fans however use much less than what you say, usually 2-3 watts at the maximum rpm. Mechanical hard drives average around 5-8 watts and SSDs will average 2-3 watts.

@Rflynn94 you should be fine with your current power supply, don't bother changing it unless you can sell it / trade it for a good price.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

don't bother changing it

That's not how it works. The old CX is a crappy PSU, and anyone with a 1080 Ti shouldn't use it.

Just now, seon123 said:

That's not how it works. The old CX is a crappy PSU, and anyone with a 1080 Ti shouldn't use it.

That's exactly how it works.

Does it output 12v ? Yes.

Does it respect the ATX standards ( less than 120mV ripple on 12v) ? Yes

Can it output up to 600w on all rails as indicated by label? Yes

Can it output more than what the computer will consume even when overclocked? Yes

That's all that's required.  That the fan may suck and psu may be noisy, that the efficiency is low which means it will heat more, that the design and components are somewhat cheap and low quality are "side" things , "good to have but not required" things.

A power supply is 50$ or more, in some countries even more due to 20%-ish VAT ... that could be 10-20% of the budget he probably has for the video card. It's not a small amount. Maybe the dude saved for months to get enough money for the 1080ti. Don't recommend unnecessary hardware just because you would prefer something more high end.

You want a better unit for that sort of high-end PC. Something like the Corsair RM550x or BitFenix Whisper M would do nicely.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

That's exactly how it works.

Does it output 12v ? Yes.

Does it respect the ATX standards ( less than 120mV ripple on 12v) ? Yes

Can it output up to 600w on all rails as indicated by label? Yes

Can it output more than what the computer will consume even when overclocked? Yes

That's all that's required.  That the fan may suck and psu may be noisy, that the efficiency is low which means it will heat more, that the design and components are somewhat cheap and low quality are "side" things , "good to have but not required" things.

A power supply is 50$ or more, in some countries even more due to 20%-ish VAT ... that could be 10-20% of the budget he probably has for the video card. It's not a small amount. Maybe the dude saved for months to get enough money for the 1080ti. Don't recommend unnecessary hardware just because you would prefer something more high end.

Does it use Capxon capacitors? Yes

Does it use 85°C capacitors? Yes

Is it rated at full power at an unrealistic 30°C? Yes

Does it have an old, group regulated design? Yes

Does it have an aweful below spec hold-up time? Yes

Does it use a sleeve-bearing fan? Yes

Bad PSUs do harm the components, either slowly or fast. 

Either you can afford a 1080 Ti and a PC to go with it, or you can't. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

Sigh... it uses 85c capacitor for the expensive primary high voltage capacitor, which is not subjected to such high stress (high current bursts, fluctuations in voltage and so on). It's not a huge deal that it's not rated for 105c though I agree it's a cost saving. You pay a lot of money for branding when it comes to Corsair. 

Where it matters the capacitors are rated for 105c and in theory they should last more than the warranty of the power supply

It's rated for 30c ambient temperature at full output power. Yes, a more realistic rating would be 40c... so you can just derate the power supply yourself: just say the power supply can output 500w at 40c ambient and call it a day. Either way, it will still output more than 300-350 watts just fine.

Group regulated design ... do you even know what that means?  Almost nothing in your computer cares about the quality of 3.3v and 5v, pretty much everything is produced from 12v using dc-dc converters or using linear regulators from the lower voltages (3.3v or 5v). Nobody cares that 5v will vary from 4.8v to 5.1v with the 12v load.

Variations in voltage don't really matter nowadays that much. 

CPU takes 12v down to 1 - 1.2v , memory takes 12v down to 1.2 - 1.35v , chipset uses 5v standby , onboard sound 2.5v or 2.8v using ldo (linear regulator) from 5v, network chip uses 1.8v and 2.5v and maybe 3.6v again from 5v and 3.3v using ldo or dc-dc converters on the motherboard.

SSDs use 3.3v in m.2 slots (produced usually using dc-dc converter from 12v) , sata ssds are powered from 5v but there's linear regulators or dc-dc converters on the ssd circuit board.. the motors of mechanical drives aren't that picky about 12v quality, once they spin at thousands rpms they don't care...

Hold up time .. unless you really have really lousy electricity in your house or area, it doesn't matter. If you have no power for more than one cycle (1000 ms / 60 hz or whatever) often, then you should just buy a UPS.

Anyway... i'm not trying to defend the power supply, because it is a budget power supply with low quality components, i would NOT recommend buying one new because like I said, you're paying a lot for the Corsair brand .. it has really bad value for money.

Just saying that if you already have it and it's working fine now with a GTX 1070 that uses up to 150 watts ,  it will work just fine with a Gtx 1080 ti that will use up to 250 watts - the extra 100 watts is not a big deal for a 600w rated power supply.

3 hours ago, Rflynn94 said:

I am going to upgrade my GTX 1070 to a GTX1080ti. Currently I have a Corsair CX600 PSU and am wondering if this wound be enough to power my pc, if not how much watts would I need, plus a recommendation for a good, cheap 80+ gold PSU <what ever wattage would suffice>. My PC will be  i7 6700k OC, GTX 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 LPX RAM, 5 case fans, Hyper 212 Cooler, 128gb SSD, 1TB HDD, 3TB HDD.

If you can afford a 1080 Ti then you should get a higher-quality unit. A 550W PSU would be enough for your system. 

3 hours ago, Rflynn94 said:

That EVGA GQ will be fine, yes.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||