RX 580 8GB vs GTX 1060 6GB [~370$]

drajver

Hello everyone!

I'm considering GPU upgrade, for comfortable playing of most of the esport titles (csgo, pubg, lol, fortnite, h1z1). I currently have R9 270 paired with i5-4460 and 24gb of ram (I'm also a .net developer, hence the amount of RAM) also 500W OCZ CoreXStream PSU.

The two GPUs that I'm considering are:

Links are from allegro.pl - popular auction site in Poland. As you can see I'm trying to fit into the ~1300PLN range, which is about ~370USD after all taxes. I would like to avoid buying used GPUs unless it would be a great deal.

I will be mostly playing in 1080p, 75Hz for now, maybe 144Hz in future - not sure there.

According to the benchmarks, both GPUs are almost equal in performance, and in current price flux regarding mining they're both at the same price. I can get RX570 or 580 4GB for ~200PLN less probably, maybe that would be also fine?

I'm not playing any AAA titles, just <60fps in fortnite and (especially) pubg is annoying, even on lowest settings

Edit: Almost indentical topic went in when I was writing mine (lol) - but It's for US market. I would kill for that kind of deal (200$ for RX), so the question still stands :)

I personally have an Asus dual RX 580 8GB running at stock speeds with an overclocked ryzen 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz and it's excellent for 1080p matched with a 144hz free sync monitor its an awesome combo. 

I play a lot of PUBG, CSGO, BF1, COD, FORZA to name a few and get really good FPS on all of them.

For PUBG at custom settings (some things on low some on high/ultra) I get stable 70+ FPS which is great for that game, BF1 and FORZA I was seeing nearly 100+FPS and that was on high settings as for the easier to run games like CSGO my fps is well over 300.

The GTX 1060 might play PUBG a bit better but in the end its a very close call, if you have a free sync 144hz monitor or are planning on getting one go with the RX 580.

Good luck! if you have any more concerns feel free to pm me.

Cheers

@Tz000 do you think that there will be a difference between 4GB and 8GB model of RX580 @1080p?

1 minute ago, drajver said:

@Tz000 do you think that there will be a difference between 4GB and 8GB model of RX580 @1080p?

The difference right now isn't huge at all, performance-wise you would notice anything.

However depending on how long you'll have the GPU 4GB might start to run short on you, and when you run out of VRAM it'll hit you hard.

2 minutes ago, drajver said:

Hey Drajver,

Honestly I was seriously considering a 4GB model but decided against it because I wanted this card to potentially do some 1440p gaming and 8GB of Vram helps with this.  If you are only going to do 1080p the 4GB card will work but I have heard recent games are starting to use more and more vram so this was a little assurance of not having to upgrade my GPU for a while.  If the price is close or within 40-50$ I would consider getting the 8GB it gives you more freedom/options in the future.

both gpus are good for 1080p60 on high\ultra setting in just about every game

pubg is not that well optimised so it be hard to stay over 60fps in that game but any other u said will work fine

i know ppl that run the game at low\medium settings with a 1080 and still struggle to stay over 60fps in some arears they do get like 50 to 150fps depending on where they are n what they looking at

you could do with a better cpu imo to be able to keep up with a gpu like that the cpu going to be abit of a bottleneck not by much like 12%