Which GPU?

Gerr

I have a Asus 27" IPS 144Hz FreeSync 1440p monitor on my bedroom gaming system.  This system plays the open world games while my primary gaming system (7700K, 1080, 35" 2560x1080 144hz) is used for fast first person player games.  I need a new GPU for it and have about $350-$400 to spend.  Because it's a FreeSync monitor, I would prefer an AMD card, and a Vega 56 at MSRP would  be ideal, but fat chance of getting that any time soon.  So I am resigned to an RX 580 8GB from a good AIB with a solid factory OC.  Or I could get a budget GTX 1070 for around the same price.

I know the 1070 would be faster, but the 580 would take advantage of FreeSync.  For my 1440p monitor, the 1070 would push the FPS higher, but I would lose FreeSync, so not sure which one would be better.  Rest of the system is an i5-7500 with 16GB RAM.  I have a good FPS Gold rated 450W PSU that would likely need to be upgraded if I went Vega, but would manage with a 1070 or 580, which is another reason I am staying away from Vega.

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I have a Asus 27" IPS 144Hz FreeSync 1440p monitor on my bedroom gaming system.  This system plays the open world games while my primary gaming system (7700K, 1080, 35" 2560x1080 144hz) is used for fast first person player games.  I need a new GPU for it and have about $350-$400 to spend.  Because it's a FreeSync monitor, I would prefer an AMD card, and a Vega 56 at MSRP would  be ideal, but fat chance of getting that any time soon.  So I am resigned to an RX 580 8GB from a good AIB with a solid factory OC.  Or I could get a budget GTX 1070 for around the same price.

I know the 1070 would be faster, but the 580 would take advantage of FreeSync.  For my 1440p monitor, the 1070 would push the FPS higher, but I would lose FreeSync, so not sure which one would be better.  Rest of the system is an i5-7500 with 16GB RAM.  I have a good FPS Gold rated 450W PSU that would likely need to be upgraded if I went Vega, but would manage with a 1070 or 580, which is another reason I am staying away from Vega.

Thoughts?

Honestly, it would just be what you value more. I like the 580 as much as the next guy, but honestly, I'd take the 1070 over it still. 

So the 580 isn't going to be strong enough to push frames around at 2k. At ultra at 1080p it tops around 60 FPS on most AAA titles. I would get the 1070, even with losing Freesync.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/