Just noticed all windows versions are N now.

robotsalad
Go to solution Solved by MadFatter,

If you use the Microsoft media creation tool and choose upgrade another pc, the ISO you get contains all the versions.  You choose pro/home/n or whatever right at the start of install.  When asked for product key, choose I don't have one.  Digital entitlement should kick in when you connect to net.  Otherwise you can reinstall 7 pro and upgrad to 10 pro still if you have entitlement issues.

I know when i first installed windows on my two personal machines they did not have the "N" version of windows, and now they both do.  This wouldn't be a problem but it appears you can't get regular windows 10 pro again without buying another product key.  Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Windows n is just Windows with the mandated EU law of choosing your media player. So Windows media player isn't installed by default, you have to choose if you want it. Other than that there's really no difference , it is Windows 10.

Just now, L.Lawliet said:

I think its Labeled "N" for Europe and "KN" For korea..

Nah I read that it doesn't come with a lot of media and apps that the regular version comes with.

2 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

Windows n is just Windows with the mandated EU law of choosing your media player. So Windows media player isn't installed by default, you have to choose if you want it. Other than that there's really no difference , it is Windows 10.

It's also why Black Ops 3 doesn't work. I've seen a lot of people have the same issue with no solution. Even after a fresh installation of Windows.

You need to install the Windows media packs as black ops and other games use the built in codecs etc to run things in the game. You should be able to install these. I'll try and find a link

Just now, L.Lawliet said:

Labeled "N" for Europe and "KN" for Korea, these editions include all the base features of the operating system but without Windows Media Player and related technologies pre-installed

Who cares man just install 3RD party software like most people does.

Well it's a problem when trying to run games like GTA and COD. They shouldn't be able to change your windows version if you can't change it back. There's probably a winnable lawsuit there.

Just now, r4tch3t said:

You need to install the Windows media packs as black ops and other games use the built in codecs etc to run things in the game. You should be able to install these. I'll try and find a link

I already tried, there are 2 media pack updates and they didn't make a difference.

I don't think that's possible. Try downloading a non 'n' version ISO from Microsoft.

If it doesn't work it would be because your product key is an n version.

Just now, r4tch3t said:

I don't think that's possible. Try downloading a non 'n' version is from Microsoft.

If it doesn't work it would be because your product key is an n version.

you can't change from N to regular. One of the machines is a Dell and the other is an HP. Never had N (refer to OP).

Not possible they can't change it. It would require them to remove existing programs etc. And while Microsoft could probably remote into your PC and change versions and delete programs aswell as changing the version of Windows they're not going to do it.

I think it always had Windows N or you installed Windows using the Windows N install media (usb/cd)

10 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

Not possible they can't change it. It would require them to remove existing programs etc. And while Microsoft could probably remote into your PC and change versions and delete programs aswell as changing the version of Windows they're not going to do it.

I think it always had Windows N or you installed Windows using the Windows N install media (usb/cd)

The sticker for the computer that can't run games anymore says "Windows 7 Pro for OEM Software."  I have done fresh installs on both computers a few times so at some point they made me download the "N" version (because there was no other pro option).  I think I first saw it 4 or 5 months ago.  Didn't think anything of it but it just recently became annoying. Does anyone actually have experience with this?

Not personally. If you don't want to wipe your system out for testing you could making a second partition and try installing from a known Windows 10 not s*** version add see if it works.

That's the only thing I can think of that would help if the media packs don't work

1 minute ago, r4tch3t said:

Not personally. If you don't want to wipe your system out for testing you could making a second partition and try installing from a known Windows 10 not s*** version add see if it works.

That's the only thing I can think of that would help if the media packs don't work

Thanks man I think I can do that.

6 hours ago, r4tch3t said:

try getting windows media player classic codecs pack from downloads.com

also go into add programs then add components

is wmp available here?

i used to install the minesweeper game from here and when i bricked a wrt54g i had to install tftp from here

trivial not the right word either 

tortoise file transfer protocol better but it did work(still donot understand how though no ip actually established yet setting my ip static and tftp to gateway completed the firmware update and turned red lights green )tftp of 2mb file took an hour

point is theres some nice features in add components

If you use the Microsoft media creation tool and choose upgrade another pc, the ISO you get contains all the versions.  You choose pro/home/n or whatever right at the start of install.  When asked for product key, choose I don't have one.  Digital entitlement should kick in when you connect to net.  Otherwise you can reinstall 7 pro and upgrad to 10 pro still if you have entitlement issues.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:54 AM, MadFatter said:

This was really helpful!  You do have to choose the first option ("Windows 10") when using the media creation tool though.