Cannot change Cpu Clock Speed.

Jalobe
Go to solution Solved by CrippledROBOT,
1 minute ago, Jalobe said:

The PC has been doing it since it was built around one and a half years ago. Didn't really bother me back then because it didn't seem nearly as frequent as it is now.

The picture is to show that I get maybe around 8 or so errors each time the computer freezes.

notworking.PNG

That's interesting. The first red flag for me was your PSU. While it is rated for 800 watts, it simply may not be putting down enough stable power for that chip. 

Initially I would have said do a "brute force" Windows install, but if it's been happening since day one, then I am 99% sure it's a hardware issue. 

Unfortunately if it's been happening since day one (and therefore, more likely than not a hardware issue), fixing the problem comes down to hardware replacement. 

BUT, before you go and order/buy a new PSU, order new system parts, etc, try updating your BIOS. Set ALL BIOS settings to default. Then try running memtest86. You may have a fault in your RAM. If it clears the test:

If the issue remains then the first thing I'd change is the PSU. Worst case scenario, that's not the problem, BUT you have the first step towards a new build. The second thing is change is the storage. 

I hope that helps!

I'm trying to turn my Ghz down to 4.00 from 4.7 in hope that this will solve another problem for my pc, but every time I change the Ghz I get an error along the lines of: Cannot launch due to incorrect configurations, and it will always say my Current Cpu Mhz is 5000 ( = 5.00 Ghz). I'm changing the speed in Bios, not sure if that has anything to do with it and my specs are as follows

Amd Fx-9590

Amd r9 380

ATNG 800w psu

2 Terabyte harddrive

128gb ssd

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard

16gb ddr3 ram

12 minutes ago, Jalobe said:

I'm trying to turn my Ghz down to 4.00 from 4.7 in hope that this will solve another problem for my pc, but every time I change the Ghz I get an error along the lines of: Cannot launch due to incorrect configurations, and it will always say my Current Cpu Mhz is 5000 ( = 5.00 Ghz). I'm changing the speed in Bios, not sure if that has anything to do with it and my specs are as follows

Amd Fx-9590

Amd r9 380

ATNG 800w psu

2 Terabyte harddrive

128gb ssd

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard

16gb ddr3 ram

What's your current issue? The stock speeds for the 9590 is 4.7 GHz so down clocking could introduce more problems as you're adding more variables to the equation. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What's your current issue? The stock speeds for a the 9590 is 4.7 GHz so down clocking could introduce more problems as you're adding more variables to the equation. 

Im currently having problems with my computer randomly freezing while playing games, and then it will always freeze once again on the next boot regardless  of how long I wait. I was told to try lowering my core speed to 4ghz and my voltage to 1.375 just to see if that would make a difference at all. I was also told that my motherboard and cpu dont pair well together because one of them is really voltage hungry and unstable.

13 minutes ago, Jalobe said:

Im currently having problems with my computer randomly freezing while playing games, and then it will always freeze once again on the next boot regardless  of how long I wait. I was told to try lowering my core speed to 4ghz and my voltage to 1.375 just to see if that would make a difference at all. I was also told that my motherboard and cpu dont pair well together because one of them is really voltage hungry and unstable.

There are a lot of variables in said situation. 

First: did your PC do that since you built it? When did it start doing that? Did you change any hardware and notice that happening or did it just "randomly start"?

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

There are a lot of variables in said situation. 

First: did your PC do that since you built it? When did it start doing that? Did you change any hardware and notice that happening or did it just "randomly start"?

The PC has been doing it since it was built around one and a half years ago. Didn't really bother me back then because it didn't seem nearly as frequent as it is now.

The picture is to show that I get maybe around 8 or so errors each time the computer freezes.

notworking.PNG

1 minute ago, Jalobe said:

notworking.PNG

That's interesting. The first red flag for me was your PSU. While it is rated for 800 watts, it simply may not be putting down enough stable power for that chip. 

Initially I would have said do a "brute force" Windows install, but if it's been happening since day one, then I am 99% sure it's a hardware issue. 

Unfortunately if it's been happening since day one (and therefore, more likely than not a hardware issue), fixing the problem comes down to hardware replacement. 

BUT, before you go and order/buy a new PSU, order new system parts, etc, try updating your BIOS. Set ALL BIOS settings to default. Then try running memtest86. You may have a fault in your RAM. If it clears the test:

If the issue remains then the first thing I'd change is the PSU. Worst case scenario, that's not the problem, BUT you have the first step towards a new build. The second thing is change is the storage. 

I hope that helps!

2 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I hope that helps!

Thanks a lot I will be trying this out for sure.

After doing a bit more research of my own computer I now know that my psu is 200w under what is recommended for the CPU and that my temperatures are severely higher than what are recommended for my CPU. Thank for the help everyone.