Troubleshooting: R9 280x

Computer Specs: - CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x - Mobo: B350 MSI Tomahawk - RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2400Hz - GPU: R9 280x, then switched to Radeon HD 6670 - Storage: Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD, Barracuda 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD - PSU: Corsair CX builder 500 Watt - OS: Windows 10 Pro

My Computer was booting with red bars, and then taking me to the Windows Recovery screen and telling me there was a problem booting into Windows.

The red bars initially just came up after playing a game, as soon as the computer started posting, the red bars look like this. I restarted multiple times each time windows was trying to diagnose the problem and taking me into recovery, but everytime nothing helped. I booted into safe mode, and the red bars were still there, but Windows loaded and green vertical bars showed up before crashing. I tried unplugging HDD and SSD or just having no boot drive, the red bars stayed there. Then I switched PCI slots for my second slot, same results. I changed the R9 280x with a Radeon HD 6670 card, and windows booted up just fine so now I think the card is dead. Both monitors work with the older card, one is a 1980 x 1080, the other is 1440 x 900. I switched it back with the R9 280x after uninstalling drivers but the bars stayed there and change to the color blue with a white background. Can anyone tell me why this happened or if the graphics card can be helped in anyway. Warranty is expired btw.

your gpu is dying

what games did you play with it? and on under what temp your card was? 

either it's core chip or mem is dying

4 hours ago, rheyL said:

your gpu is dying

what games did you play with it? and on under what temp your card was? 

either it's core chip or mem is dying

On average mostly like overwatch, for example that game was crashing frequently, then I was playing need for speed, and no crash, other games that were lighter like League weren't crashing and it was running at Max 82 and average around 75 while underload.

2 hours ago, Sir Cactus said:

On average mostly like overwatch, for example that game was crashing frequently, then I was playing need for speed, and no crash, other games that were lighter like League weren't crashing and it was running at Max 82 and average around 75 while underload.

yah most likely dying card... is there still warranty on it? you could try to rma it.

9 hours ago, Sir Cactus said:

sorry, but your gpu is dying, you can try some to extend its life, changing thermal paste and cleaning its heatsink. 

17 hours ago, rheyL said:

sorry, but your gpu is dying, you can try some to extend its life, changing thermal paste and cleaning its heatsink. 

No warranty, but I got a really good deal on a GTX 1060 3gb and can return it if a better deal comes a long.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:03 AM, Leonius said:

yah most likely dying card... is there still warranty on it? you could try to rma it.

no warranty, but there was a 1060 3gb on sale so I got it and can return if a better deal comes around, which will probably happen.