Complexity analysis

ShatteredPsycho

I am trying to figure out what is the complexity of this method but I am not quite sure how to go about it. Since I have this functions who calls many more, not sure if I have to add, multiply or what to do

double FTotal = Operations.minimumCostHeavy(grafo, s1, s2, pathC, mapa, grafo, p1);
public static double minimumCostHeavy(AdjacencyMatrixGraph<Local, Estrada> map, Local from, Local to, LinkedList<Local> path, Graph<Personagem, Double> mapa, AdjacencyMatrixGraph<Local, Estrada> grafo, Personagem p) {
        if (!map.checkVertex(from) || !map.checkVertex(to)) {
            return -1;
        }
        path.clear();
        return minimumCostPath2(map, from, to, path, mapa, grafo, p);
    }
static <V> double minimumCostPath2(AdjacencyMatrixGraph<V, Estrada> graph, V source, V dest, LinkedList<V> path, Graph<Personagem, Double> mapa, AdjacencyMatrixGraph<Local, Estrada> grafo, Personagem p) {

AdjacencyMatrixGraph<V, Double> graphDouble = new AdjacencyMatrixGraph();

for (V v : graph.vertices()) {
            graphDouble.insertVertex(v);        // O(n)
        }
        for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) {                   //O(n^2)
            for (int j = 0; j < graph.numVertices; j++) {
                boolean flag = false;
                if (graph.privateGet(i, j) != null) {
                    if (flag == false && (grafo.vertices.get(j).dono.equals(p.nomePersonagem))) {
                        graphDouble.insertEdge(graph.vertices.get(i), graph.vertices.get(j), (double) grafo.privateGet(i, j).pontosEstrada);
                        flag = true;
                    }
                    if (flag == false && (!"".equals(grafo.vertices.get(j).dono))) {
                        int n = getPersonna(mapa, grafo.vertices.get(j).dono).pontosPersonagem;
                        graphDouble.insertEdge(graph.vertices.get(i), graph.vertices.get(j), (double) grafo.privateGet(i, j).pontosEstrada + grafo.vertices.get(j).pontosLocal + n);
                        flag = true;
                    }
                    if (flag == false && "".equals(grafo.vertices.get(j).dono)) {
                        graphDouble.insertEdge(graph.vertices.get(i), graph.vertices.get(j), (double) grafo.privateGet(i, j).pontosEstrada + grafo.vertices.get(i).pontosLocal);
                        flag = true;
                    }
                    if (flag == false) {
                        graphDouble.insertEdge(graph.vertices.get(i), graph.vertices.get(j), (double) grafo.privateGet(i, j).pontosEstrada + grafo.vertices.get(i).pontosLocal);
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        return EdgeAsDoubleGraphAlgorithms.shortestPathHeavy(graphDouble, source, dest, path, p.pontosPersonagem);
    }
public static <V> double shortestPathHeavy(AdjacencyMatrixGraph<V, Double> graph, V source, V dest, LinkedList<V> path, int pPersonagem) {
        path.clear();
        if (graph.checkVertex(source) && graph.checkVertex(dest)) {     //1
            if (source.equals(dest)) {                                  //1
                path.add(source);
                return 0;
            }
            int verticesIndex[] = new int[graph.vertices.size()];
            shortestPathHeavy(graph, graph.vertices.indexOf(source), new boolean[graph.vertices.size()], verticesIndex, new double[graph.vertices.size()], pPersonagem);

if (verticesIndex[graph.toIndex(dest)] != -1) {
                recreatePath(graph, graph.vertices.indexOf(source), graph.vertices.indexOf(dest), verticesIndex, path);
                path = revPath(path);
                double distance = 0;
                for (int i = 1; i < path.size(); i++) {                     //O(n)
                    distance += graph.getEdge(path.get(i - 1), path.get(i));
                }
                return distance;
            }
            return -1;
        }
        return -1;
    }
private static <V> void shortestPathHeavy(AdjacencyMatrixGraph<V, Double> graph, int sourceIdx, boolean[] knownVertices, int[] verticesIndex, double[] minDist, int pPersonagem) {
        for (int i = 0; i < graph.vertices.size(); i++) {       //O(n)
            minDist[i] = Double.MAX_VALUE;
            verticesIndex[i] = -1;
            knownVertices[i] = false;
        }
        int vOrig = sourceIdx;
        minDist[vOrig] = 0;
        while (vOrig != -1) {
            knownVertices[vOrig] = true;
            V vertex = graph.vertices.get(vOrig);
            for (V v : graph.directConnections(vertex)) {           //O(n*n)=O(n^2)
                int vAdj = graph.toIndex(v);
                if (!knownVertices[vAdj] && minDist[vAdj] > minDist[vOrig] + graph.getEdge(v, vertex) && pPersonagem >= graph.getEdge(v, vertex)) {
                    minDist[vAdj] = minDist[vOrig] + graph.getEdge(v, vertex);
                    verticesIndex[vAdj] = vOrig;
                }
            }
            vOrig = getVertMinDist(minDist, knownVertices);
        }
    }

private static <V, E> int getVertMinDist(double[] dist, boolean[] visited) {
        int vertMinDist = -1;
        double distance = Double.MAX_VALUE;

for (int i = 0; i < visited.length; i++) {      //O(n)
            if (!visited[i] && dist[i] < distance) {
                distance = dist[i];
                vertMinDist = i;
            }
        }

return vertMinDist;
    }

recreate path is linear

The rest I am not sure how to go about it

You just need to work through it backwards. You've got that getVertMinDist is O(n), so (void) shortestPathHeavy is O(n2) (max of n, n and n2). You then feed that into (double) shortestPathHeavy, and while you've not posted recreatePath I assume it's no worse than O(n), so that method is O(n2) too, and just keep working backwards from there. I've not worked through it properly but it looks like it will come out at O(n2).

HTTP/2 203

10 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

What kind of complexity are you looking for?

If it's for a practical purpose there's no point in evaluating complexity. There is inefficiency though.

I had to have it written for a school project, but I think I managed to get it right

Where do you see the inefficiency?

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

You just need to work through it backwards. You've got that getVertMinDist is O(n), so (void) shortestPathHeavy is O(n2) (max of n, n and n2). You then feed that into (double) shortestPathHeavy, and while you've not posted recreatePath I assume it's no worse than O(n), so that method is O(n2) too, and just keep working backwards from there. I've not worked through it properly but it looks like it will come out at O(n2).

Yeh I understood it. I was ignoring the fact that it was for the cycles. Before I was thinking that it incremented or scaled with the different calls

Thx for replying

I seem to recall complexity analysis of graph algorithms being functions of both the number of vertices and edges. I only see references to n here, which seems to be the number of vertices. Clearly, I haven't actually read any of the code :) haha

23 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

You also have the big O wrong for the nested loop. The actual big O is 3n because you only do the outer loop a maximum of three times.

I haven't done this stuff in a long, long time, but aren't multiplicative constants irrelevant? O(3n) = O(n)