How to clean an air cooler

ashu1106

I have a hyper 212 turbo. It has collected a lot of dust. I have cleaned the fans but cleaning the fins is a hassle. Should I wash it with water. ( Without fans of course) or is there some other trick.

blowing it through with compressed air would be the best option, tough if you don;t have a air compressor or canned air that might be a hassle. water would work, but you should make sure you dry it off completely to prevent corrosion on the heatpipes.

I normally just take the fans off then hoover it out. If its really that bad use compressed air, but dont use water-it will just make the dust stick together and clog the fins. Also i might rust your cooler, so just stick to vacuums and compressed air.

EDIT:

I even hoover off my motherboards sometimes and that's normally the best option for me. If you use compressed air, just make sure its actually spraying out air and not ice, like they sometimes do if they're too cold or just a bit shit.

Edited by BrodieH
Added extra information

I wash heatsinks in water when I want to be thorough. Just make sure that it's fully dried before re-installation.

If you're feeling lazy, compressed air or blowing through the fins works just fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.