Can I improve my 5400rpm HDD performance via raid?

akialwayz
Go to solution Solved by SansVarnic,

Takes no less than 2 drives to get a raid set up.

If you have 2 - 500GB drive set at raid 1 you will only have 500GB of available storage as raid 1 is a mirroring raid.

I have heard you can improve performance of your storage using raid.I have a 1TB 5400rpm internal HDD.Can I use raid without reducing my storage space to improve read/write speeds of my HDD?.I have seen people using 1TB hdd in raid but they have only 500gb afterwards.Thank you

P.S-I'm not worried about losing files in case memory corruption happen in raid as i backup important files to another disk.I just want to know if i can do it and If yes,can you guys tell me how to do it and which raid config to use.

If you have 2 - 500GB drive set at raid 1 you will only have 500GB of available storage as raid 1 is a mirroring raid.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You'd need a second identical drive* and you'd have to be able to completely format it and re-add all your files, since there's no way to just "add on a drive" and make it into RAID.  If you're looking to increase performance with no hit to capacity, you'd be looking at RAID 0.  I know you said you don't worry about data corruption or loss but I am ethically obligated to point out that using RAID 0 puts you at considerably higher chance of data loss since losing either (or any of) the drives in the array means you lose all data on it, and even the RAID system itself can fail, leaving the (still functioning) drives unusable.

* well you can also use three or more, and technically they don't need to be the same capacity or speed, but it's recommended to not waste space or have other issues.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Thank you,so I cant do it one drive with two partitions.great.....think i better buy an ssd(pricing suck nowadays).

4 minutes ago, akialwayz said:

Thank you,so I cant do it one drive with two partitions.great.....think i better buy an ssd(pricing suck nowadays).

yeah definitely not xD that would actually hurt performance massively by converting all IO into extremely random IO

Yes, best to get an SSD, the improvement is massive.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Why have I seen 3-4 threads in the last week all asking this same question? o.O

SSD prices my friend.Come to think of it all PC component prices are climbing.I was looking for buying vega56.Its around 650$ in India(incl tax).

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm not crazy, see? This question keeps getting asked.

That's nothing, remember the 390 vs 970 days? xD

Slow times slow is still slow. If speed is your game, either go SSD or ditch the 5400 for at least a 7200 spinner with lots of cache.