what's the difference?

techcuriosity

What's the difference between backup and restore into another pc and imaging? because from now I see that they perform same functions...

Imaging creates a 1 to 1 copy of your entire drive, incuding the registry, installed programs, windows itself, etc. it's usually used for moving an OS to another computer.

software backup usually only backs up files, which takes up much less space, and has cool features like versioning. it's most useful for most people. but if you loose your PC, an image can restore seamlessly, and a backup only keeps the files you chose to back up.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

24 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Imaging creates a 1 to 1 copy of your entire drive, incuding the registry, installed programs, windows itself, etc. it's usually used for moving an OS to another computer.

software backup usually only backs up files, which takes up much less space, and has cool features like versioning. it's most useful for most people. but if you loose your PC, an image can restore seamlessly, and a backup only keeps the files you chose to back up.

It's possible to set up automatic imaging update which would be stored on network ? For example if I lost my notebook, and I want to restore image into another pc with all my data of lost notebook being before loss, or once I restore image to another pc, there will remain data from image creation date?

44 minutes ago, techcuriosity said:

It's possible to set up automatic imaging update which would be stored on network ? For example if I lost my notebook, and I want to restore image into another pc with all my data of lost notebook being before loss, or once I restore image to another pc, there will remain data from image creation date?

This is basically a standard in large businesses. If you want to it from home you could use a clonezilla server. Its linux based and works quite well. Or if you have the license money you could use what businesses do and get a WDS (windows deployment server). 

Trust me. This is a life save when it comes to time. I have images of a few different things right after a fresh install and setup so a reinstall is cute down by at least an hour.