How to force assign drive letter

Judahnator

I finally got tired of dealing with my 30GB boot drive, so i cloned the drive to a HDD in my system (drive D:). All the data on that drive was copied to a partition on another drive (assigned the letter I:). Now many of my programs are broke, because they are looking for a D, when that was changed to I:

I looked in disk management, but it skips the option for assigning it "D." It just lists off a,b,f,g,h... Is there any way to force windows to accept it as "D," or do i need to reinstall all my programs to "I?"

Thanks

~Judah

It means something plugged in is still assigned to D:

Find it and clear it.

Go forth and maximize profits.

... It doesn't want the D? Could it be the order of the SATA ports?

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

you need to remove the D:\ path from the other drive first then you can assigne D:\ to the new drive.  Open disk management then right click on the partition that is currently D:\ then select change path and drive letter.  Click on D:\ then hit remove.  You can then assign D:\ to the new drive.

Disable/unplug the other drive is using that letter and asign it to that one that you want to be D:, then able/plug it again

It was fun finding what was taking the "D", i unplugged almost every SATA device and reseated half of my system. Turns out it was an external DVD drive hanging from a rear port

~Judah