HELP with my home network

Blinky
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
31 minutes ago, Blinky said:

-snip-

Pretty normal...I hardly pay attention to the switch lights myself. You should only really care if the network disconnects or has a major slow down.

It really depends on usage.

Im running a home network thru cable coz i hate wifi anyway im a bit confused, every minute or 2 my network goes crazy then calms down, i dont know why its doing this or if its normal.

Ill leave a video to show everyone whats its doing.

20171117_113823.avi

31 minutes ago, Blinky said:

-snip-

Pretty normal...I hardly pay attention to the switch lights myself. You should only really care if the network disconnects or has a major slow down.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

great thx, thought i fucked up somewhere lol

1 minute ago, Blinky said:

great thx, thought i fucked up somewhere lol

You should only be worried about that if you were making the cables yourself or terminating keystone jacks.

I had to get a basic Ethernet cable tester when I started making custom patch cables.

If you're using premade cables, you have nothing to worry about really.

Just now, scottyseng said:

You should only be worried about that if you were making the cables yourself or terminating keystone jacks.

I had to get a basic Ethernet cable tester when I started making custom patch cables.

If you're using premade cables, you have nothing to worry about really.

no all the cables i got from the shops as i dont have the tools to make em, wish i did then i would have meters spare behind the server.

Just now, Blinky said:

no all the cables i got from the shops as i dont have the tools to make em, wish i did then i would have meters spare behind the server.

Haha, yeah, I was wiring my server rack and I wanted everything to be pretty so I got the tools. It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

Happy you got everything working though. Congrats on going wired (I had to wire my house myself too)

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Haha, yeah, I was wiring my server rack and I wanted everything to be pretty so I got the tools. It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

Happy you got everything working though. Congrats on going wired (I had to wire my house myself too)

All my mates keep saying why not use wireless its easier, i just kicked them out of my house, i dont need that negativity lol.

and thx ive been working on all this for the past 2 weeks to get it running smooth now all i have to do is make it pretty. 

3 minutes ago, Blinky said:

All my mates keep saying why not use wireless its easier, i just kicked them out of my house, i dont need that negativity lol.

and thx ive been working on all this for the past 2 weeks to get it running smooth now all i have to do is make it pretty. 

Haha, my friends too. One has everything wireless (laptops / cellphones / TVs) and he's now recently complaining to me about how he can't get the full speed of his internet connection (Geez, I wonder why).

Getting it tidy will be tricky for sure. I used a ton of Velcro and even made cable combs for the wires. CAT6 is some really feisty stuff to keep organized and straight.

Ah, if possible, I would label the wires. It saves you the pain of figuring out what is what in the future.

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Haha, my friends too. One has everything wireless (laptops / cellphones / TVs) and he's now recently complaining to me about how he can't get the full speed of his internet connection (Geez, I wonder why).

Getting it tidy will be tricky for sure. I used a ton of Velcro and even made cable combs for the wires. CAT6 is some really feisty stuff to keep organized and straight.

Ah, if possible, I would label the wires. It saves you the pain of figuring out what is what in the future.

ive started to make a network map of my devices and server and having everything numbered so if my son does pull any cables i know what they went to, so far so good he hasn't touched anything,

i use wireless my self but only for like mobile devices and mates use my guest network, no way in hell they going to touch my main.