Burning through IE80 cables

Hey there,

I am just about to buy a new IE80 cable for the fourth time in less than 1.5 years, does anyone know a specimen that is a bit more resilient than the Sennheiser one / your average china-cable?

do you stuff your IEMs straight into your pocket or do you actually use a IEM case?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

do you stuff your IEMs straight into your pocket or do you actually use a IEM case?

I usually roll them up and put them into my sweater pocket (large and with nothing else in it) or put them onto by desk loosely... You think this hurts them significantly? 

you must be doing something wrong, as even cheap chinese cables can last a while, even look at making your own cables, or getting a bluetooth one if it's the jack and Y-piece breaking.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

I have the same problem, my IE 80 are under a year old and the first cable broke already. I am going through warranty process right now. I have stored them in a case all the time so I don't understand how they can break so easily.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

Just now, ChalkChalkson said:

I usually roll them up and put them into my sweater pocket (large and with nothing else in it) or put them onto by desk loosely... You think this hurts them significantly? 

oh yes, you should put them in a IEM case, you might not think about it but the cable can come under a lot of stress when you just have them in your pocket.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, lefudgelover666 said:

have you thought about a high gauge custom cable? probably last you a lifetime

you mean building it myself or you mean ordering it somewhere? If it is under 50€ I'd probably do it.. Otherwise I'll probably just order cheapo 7€ ones every now and again :D 

Just now, Dackzy said:

oh yes, you should put them in a IEM case, you might not think about it but the cable can come under a lot of stress when you just have them in your pocket.

Will try that for the next cable, though it did not help my first one (the original cable) much

2 minutes ago, aakopa said:

I have the same problem, my IE 80 are under a year old and the first cable broke already. I am going through warranty process right now. I have stored them in a case all the time so I don't understand how they can break so easily.

bought mine on ebay, so no warranty for me :P 

1 minute ago, lefudgelover666 said:

you definitely can build your own although is maybe 10% more expensive to just buy one premade

I think I would have to splice on the cable, the ear piece connector doesn't look too standard issue 

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

the cable can come under a lot of stress

that I am cycling with them and getting caught on household objects with the cable probably doesn't help either :P 

20 minutes ago, lefudgelover666 said:

have you thought about a high gauge custom cable? probably last you a lifetime

what gauge (or just wire thickness) would you recommend?

31 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

A sweater pocket isnt terrible though, something else has to be up if OP is burning through the cables so quickly. Jeans pocket on the other hand.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

48 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Will try that for the next cable, though it did not help my first one (the original cable) much

grab a small pelican to put it in. the cable will last much longer.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

18 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

A sweater pocket isnt terrible though, something else has to be up if OP is burning through the cables so quickly. Jeans pocket on the other hand.

as I said, I wear them while cycling and sometimes get caught on stuff in my flat with the cables, so there is kinda a lot of stress on them :/ 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

grab a small pelican to put it in. the cable will last much longer.

still have my ie80 case will try it with the next cable to arrvie

7 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

still have my ie80 case will try it with the next cable to arrvie

The stock case (the one thst comes from sennheiser) really isnt very good, since the cable has to be wrapped around the plastic holder.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Pelican is pretty good, 1010 is probably good enough for just the headphones themselves + a few tips. Personally I'd go for a semi-hard unless you really need the waterproof. Campfire's semi-hards look pretty nice.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

8 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

cable has to be wrapped around the plastic holder.

Mine actually came without a plastic holder, they are just wrapped around my fingers and then placed in there most of the time

4 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Mine actually came without a plastic holder, they are just wrapped around my fingers and then placed in there most of the time

Are you sure they're genuine IE80s then? There are a ton of fakes of those out there. Some people even got fakes when they ordered them off Amazon.

To my knowledge (and having owned a pair myself) the case *always* has a thing you have to wrap the cable around.

Could you possible post a few photos?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

13 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Could you possible post a few photos?

Almost had to actually work with the images instead of just uploading as they came out of my phone.. Those 20MB :D 

And please don't mind the terrible taping job, making the cable rigid at that part is a temporary fix for this cable

20171117_112254.jpg

20171117_112208.jpg

20171117_112216.jpg

20171117_112143.jpg

20171117_112137.jpg