open loop vs closed loop - nooby needs help

Hi, I have a i7 5960x in my system with a gtx 1080 ti. I have both of them under liquid cooling with AIO coolers. I'm considering a switch to open loop from the current AIO setup I have. The reason for this is because the CPU gets very hot when I OC it. I'm getting temps of 90-95c which wasn't the case when I first installed the AIO. I'm not doing any extreme OC either, it's 4.4Ghz @ 1.22v. When I first installed the cooler my temps were around 65c at max. I had the same issue with this cooler before and had to RMA it. It seems whatever they put inside of those coolers starts to fail after a month or two. I'm sick and tired of doing an RMA. I haven't had any problems with the gpu cooler and both coolers are from the same company. I can't figure out what's causing the cpu cooler to degrade so quickly, but I'm tired of it and want to make the switch. My concern is that if I switch I'll have the same problem, but with more maintenance involved for open loop setup.  

I've reached out to the guys at EKWB and they helped get a configuration going. I'm going to use 1x 360 and 1x 240 rad for the loop instead of 2x 360's like in the picture. Would this radiator setup be enough to run my system silently and keep it cool during load? What is the importance of reservoir size? Does it impact how often the water needs to be changed? I'm concerned about mixing metals since I'm a nooby. I would be happy to use an all Aluminium set if I could find one. Would I still have to worry about the same problems if I didn't use mixed metals? What impact does tubing size and thickness have on performance? Also, I think the pump I picked is a bit overkill. I picked the pump with the best max flow specs. I assuming it can move the liquid faster through the loop resulting in better cooling or am I wrong here? Would appreciate any other nooby advise you guys can offer, thanks.

Selection_002.png

7 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

I can't figure out what's causing the cpu cooler to degrade so quickl

Almost certainly thermal paste, a quick repaste should be able to verify

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Almost certainly thermal paste, a quick repaste should be able to verify

tried it, no difference. 

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Get a single pump, you do not need a dual pump config.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-revo-d5-pwm-incl-sleeved-pump

You also need a proper GPU block that covers the entire card.

What model card do you have exactly?

Gigabyte gaming gtx 1080 ti. I was wondering about that. I noticed that the thermals on my previous gpu (980 ti) improved when I removed the back plate and just used a simple 90mm fan from the kraken g10 gpu bracket I'm using.

12 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Gigabyte gaming gtx 1080 ti. I was wondering about that. I noticed that the thermals on my previous gpu (980 ti) improved when I removed the back plate and just used a simple 90mm fan from the kraken g10 gpu bracket I'm using.

Unfortunately nobody makes a custom block for that card and without active VRM cooling you can probably say goodbye to any solid OC on that card. Not sure what your current situation looks like though.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

56 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

I would be happy to use an all Aluminium set if I could find one.

Just a heads up, an all aluminum set (EK Fluid Gaming) will limit your options for upgrades in the future. Mixing aluminum and nickel/copper parts will cause galvanic corrosion.

Also, since you are in the US, you can buy from Performance PCS so you can save on shipping.

Get the same metals where you can. Block wise and stick to the copper/brass rads if you are gonna get ek stuff.

Pump is overkill. Flow ill not matter and you don't have enough components to need a dual. Regular pump/res combo will be fine if you can fit it.

If you can find it, a full cover block would be much better overall. Id get the premixed ek fluid. I was always a concentrate person but its so much nicer getting the perfect mix, even though you lose out on a 100ml compared to getting it premixed. Worth it in my opinion. Especially when you get to filing it and start to use the second bottle and don't wonna premix a whole other jug.

I don't get the jumper as a paper clip does the same and I happen to have one. Or some wire, almost anything that's metal and can fit will work.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz