[27" + 24"] vs. [24" + 24"] vs. Ultrawide

Currently running (with GTX 1080):

• 2 x BenQ 24" 60Hz monitors

I want to upgrade one of the monitors to something better (1440p, 144Hz, Gsync, maybe IPS) and just use one of my BenQ's as a second monitor.

If I were to upgrade on of the monitors to a 27", would it be a pain in the ass to have mismatched monitor sizes and resolutions?

Or would it be better if I were to upgrade to a 24" instead to keep it the same as the 2nd monitor?

The other option is ultrawide, but to get the specs I want is going to cost a bit more. Also I have never actually used an ultrawide.

Opinions pls

Personally use a PG278Q as my main monitor and some cheap 1080p 24 inch as a second monitor. Personally I don't really have any issues with them being different resolution and size but obviously any surround config is not going to work (I use my 27 inch for gaming and the 24 inch for other stuff like TS management music and stuff.). So I'd say go for a 1440p144 IPS Gsync monitor and keep one (I'd keep both because I like screens :D) and buy some kind of an arm to free some desk space.

Main PC

i7 7820X @4.5Ghz/Asus X299 TUF Mark I/GSkill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB 3000MHz/MSI GTX980Ti Gaming 6G/960 Pro 512GB/850 Evo 500GB/2x2TB HDD/Enthoo Evolv TG/H115i w/HD140s/Corsair HX 850i

Other PCs

i7 3930K/16GB DDR3 1866Mhz/Big Bang Xpower II/MSI GTX 760 TF 2GB/BQ DP P8 1000W/850 Evo 250GB/2TB WD HDD

i5 6600K/BQ Dark Rock 3/16GB Vengeance LPX/ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/Intel 120GB SSD/GTX 1060 Strix/1TB HDD/Corsair RM650

R5 1600/8GB Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz/ASUS B350F Strix Gaming/ GTX 1050Ti Strix/850 Evo 250GB/1TB HDD/BQ 530W

Notebook Lenovo Ideapad 710S 6500U/8GB/256GB NVMe

Peasant gaming stuff PS3/PS4 Pro/PSP/PS Vita

ok well i think i can relate to all of those options so here goes:

first off what are you mostly using them for ? from where your focus for the upgrade is im assuming gaming.

so since you are already running 2 monitor you already only game on one and id say having mismatched monitors isnt that bad. for the longest time i had my old 24" 1080p and a secondary 19" 5:4 1280x1024. sure those arent that far off but the 19" had water damge and the bottom 100-200 pixels werent usuable so yeah but as a secondary totally fine by me. so if you really want a secondary screen then go get a bigger main i guess.

but i also now have a 1440p ultrawide and i must say its awesome as a experience and i really wanted to make my desk look cleaner but from time to time i still plug in my tablet as a secondary monitor so i do miss it a little bit 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

That's exactly how I use my PC.

165Hz 1440p 27" G-Sync

60Hz 1080p 24"

I really have no issue with the mismatched sizes and resolution. Only pain in the ass are the issues with G-Sync as its pretty much impossible to play games in windowed/borderless mode if you have secondary monitor with lower refresh rate than your G-Sync monitor.

17 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

first off what are you mostly using them for ? from where your focus for the upgrade is im assuming gaming.

Yeah, pretty much just gaming, web browsing and uni work.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

165Hz 1440p 27" G-Sync

Is that the AOC AGON AG271QG? That was what I was looking at getting and it has those specs.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I really have no issue with the mismatched sizes and resolution. Only pain in the ass are the issues with G-Sync as its pretty much impossible to play games in windowed/borderless mode if you have secondary monitor with lower refresh rate than your G-Sync monitor.

What is the issue when you are playing windowed/borderless mode?

Just now, good_moleman_to_you said:

Is that the AOC AGON AG271QG? That was what I was looking at getting and it has those specs.

yes, it's really nice

would be me I won't mind that since you will use one for what you do and i would put the other one a bit on the side not one sticked to the other since it could be distracting during games.

i would take what i want in front of me and a second one on a 45° angle on the side to check when i want