Is it time to ditch Chrome now?

I saw the new update on FF, being all improved and stuff. And then I've been sparingly using Opera and serves most of my needs.

I'm tempted to make a switch because RAM is mainly the issue. I haven't faced a significant problem yet, I'd like to hear what others' experiences with long term use of FF and opera. 

With low RAM systems using Chrome might not be the best option. 

Might want to try Edge tbh. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Try the new FF. I am honestly impressed by it. And if you don't like it, just remove it.

Checkout the dark theme too, FF has it in its customization options

But I am not sure on the RAM statement. FF easily takes 490MB on my side with 1 tab open. It is more the speed than anything. System has 6GB of RAM. But I am not a type of person with 200 tabs open.. I usual float around 1 to 5. I use bookmarks

I've tried a bunch of various browsers, from Chrome, firefox, IE, Opera, Waterfox, palemoon, Edge and more.   to me, chrome is the most consistently good.  yes it uses more ram, but it also has everything I need and lack of ram has never been an issue for me.

I plan on trying out FF57 though. from what it sounds like, it might be worth the switch.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Try the new FF. I am honestly impressed by it. And if you don't like it, just remove it.

Checkout the dark theme too, FF has it in its customization options

But I am not sure on the RAM statement. FF easily takes 490MB on my side with 1 tab open. It is more the speed than anything. System has 6GB of RAM. But I am not a type of person with 200 tabs open.. I usual float around 1 to 5. I use bookmarks

One of my older systems, an old laptop with 8GB of RAM.

Another newer work station run a i7700k with an ITX mobo. so I'm limited to 32gb. I increasingly find this to be difficult because all my programs use a lot of CPU and RAM, i am also one of those ppl with over >30 chrome tabs open, (sometimes even have FF on at the same time), and then slowly work my way down. 

I do agree on the statement on Chrome having the more extension support. Having adblock, HTTPS, evernote, grammerly and the google input, chrome has been very good to me. 

My main problem is the PDF extension, which can't be used on chrome. 

42 minutes ago, jonnyyyl said:

Having adblock, HTTPS, evernote, grammerly and the google input, chrome has been very good to me. 

Firefox those addons, not 100% about google input (not even sire what it is).

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

Firefox those addons, not 100% about google input (not even sire what it is).

google input is an extension to type in other languages. so far i've found this to be the most accurate to write asian characters. quickly switching it on/off within the browser has been probably the only reason i've been hanging on to chrome, other than convenience. 

1 hour ago, jonnyyyl said:

google input is an extension to type in other languages. so far i've found this to be the most accurate to write asian characters. quickly switching it on/off within the browser has been probably the only reason i've been hanging on to chrome, other than convenience. 

I use Google IME as well, but I run the desktop application. It hooks into Windows and works system-wide.

If you only use asian characters in your browser then your extension is probably better, but if you use it elsewhere then I would recommend going for the system-wide option. You switch between keyboard by pressing Alt + Shift.

Alternatively, you could use Windows' built in asian keyboard, but as you probably know it's not on par with Google's offering.

On 11/15/2017 at 7:46 PM, Ryois said:

On chrome you could use The Great Suspender if you leave chrome open in the background. It saves system resources on unused tabs. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en

I used great suspender for a few years, it was great and i liked everything about it. 

i forgot what it was, it went buggy for a few montsh and i put up with it, and that led me to stop using it.