Nvidia GTX970 Games freezing

sproman

Hello everyone.

About two weeks ago I built a new PC, only thing I kept from the old PC was the GPU, the Nvidia GTX 970.

Ever since I built it and installed, I am currently dissapointed at what my PC can do in games. When I try to play a newer game like Cod:WW2, Wolfenstein 2, Project cars 2 and The Evil within 2, the games do start up and in the menus it's all good, but whenever i load in game COD gives "XD3_invalid_input" errors, and the rest of the games just freeze, the PC itself does not crash or freeze, but it's just the application that freezes.

Even some older games freeze, but not all of them. And i noticed that enabling Vsync fixes the older games and Wolfenstein 2, rest of the games still freeze. And also games like The Evil within 2 work if i underclock the GPU.

This whole thing is a huge headache for me and i am stumped and feeling ripped off at the moment with this, would greatly appreciate some help here.

System specs:

Windows 10 pro x64

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x (Stock speeds, B350 chipset bug, does not want to overclock)

Corsair 16GB 2800Mhz DDR4

MSI B350M Mortar Motherboard

Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX970 OC edition

Corsair RM650i PSU

P.S. If anything else is needed, please let me know.

Thanks.

Why you don't give a try and reinstall Windows? Because for me it's seems to be driver issues.

1 minute ago, SecretX said:

Why you don't give a try and reinstall Windows? Because for me it's seems to be driver issues.

I could try it, maybe the windows 10 Fall update borked everything. I forgot to mention in the post, that Youtube videos watching fullscreen tend to be slow and desynced, disabling HW rendering in chrome solved it

2 minutes ago, sproman said:

I could try it, maybe the windows 10 Fall update borked everything. I forgot to mention in the post, that Youtube videos watching fullscreen tend to be slow and desynced, disabling HW rendering in chrome solved it

Another point to prove my theory. I really think your problem is a driver issue, maybe you should reinstall nvidia drivers and post here the results.

Just asking, what PSU are you using?

Could be a power shortage when gaming, used to run into that with a broken corsair PSU. Took me a while to figure that one out (When it started clicking & buzzing it was pretty clear though lol)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Just now, Sfekke said:

Just asking, what PSU are you using?

Could be a power shortage when gaming, used to run into that with a broken corsair PSU. Took me a while to figure that one out (When it started clicking & buzzing it was pretty clear though lol)

Ah yes forgot that, it's new, the Corsair RM650i

2 minutes ago, SecretX said:

Another point to prove my theory. I really think your problem is a driver issue, maybe you should reinstall nvidia drivers and post here the results.

Will do

3 minutes ago, sproman said:

Ah yes forgot that, it's new, the Corsair RM650i

Unless it is failing @SecretX theory is the more likely one.

Try that, and if that doesn't work if you by any chance have a spare PSU. Give that a go.

Maybe using DDU to remove the drivers, link just in case

Just to make sure they are gone.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

4 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Unless it is failing @SecretX theory is the more likely one.

Try that, and if that doesn't work if you by any chance have a spare PSU. Give that a go.

Maybe using DDU to remove the drivers, link just in case

Just to make sure they are gone.

Was just about to use DDU for the first time, lol. Not sure about the PSU tho, because before I got all of the parts for my new PC, i did use this power supply in my old PC for a bit until i received all the new parts, then everything ran fine. Sadly no longer have my old PSU with me, got some 200w PSU but thats not gonna do anything lol

@SecretX You were right about the Driver issue, used DDU in safe mode to remove the drivers, reinstalled them and now everything works fine. although youtube is still sluggish in fullscreen, but all of the games run smooth, no freezes at the moment even without Vsync enabled

1 hour ago, sproman said:

@SecretX You were right about the Driver issue, used DDU in safe mode to remove the drivers, reinstalled them and now everything works fine. although youtube is still sluggish in fullscreen, but all of the games run smooth, no freezes at the moment even without Vsync enabled

Maybe a fresh install of Windows would solve all your problems. If the remain issues bother you, please give a try and reinstall Windows, otherwise you are good to go.