Saving for Volta

KyberKylo77

Felt like starting up a random topic so here it is. Have any of you started saving up for a Volta card? If so, how much have you been saving? I myself plan to save $850 for the GTX 2080 whenever it comes out just incase since theres no competition and shipping is expensive.

And I'm just sitting here in NZ looking at the cost to buy a 1080 (1.4K NZD) and crying. Curse you Import Tax!!!!

Id save and probably will but I think ima skip a generation to the 3080 or whatever after.

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

You'll be saving forever:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

volta uses cores that need optimization to run better than cuda cores so chances are even if volta cards came as consumer cards then there'd be little to no differencd between pascal and volta

i doubt Volta will bring any major performance upgrade seeing as it hasent in the Tesla cards outside of the Tensor cores. Also as i reported on and  @Princess Cadence kindly linked to, there are rumors that Volta wont even come to consumers and we will get Ampere instead, which makes sense but should definatly be taken with a load of salt seeing as this is the first we have heard of Ampere, its not on any roadmap thats ever been put out even, but neither was Pascal so this dosent seem impossible tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i doubt Volta will bring any major performance upgrade seeing as it hasent in the Tesla cards outside of the Tensor cores. Also as i reported on and  @Princess Cadence kindly linked to, there are rumors that Volta wont even come to consumers and we will get Ampere instead, which makes sense but should definatly be taken with a load of salt seeing as this is the first we have heard of Ampere, its not on any roadmap thats ever been put out even, but neither was Pascal so this dosent seem impossible tbh

Where did ypu here about ampere? Ive never heard of it

1 minute ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Where did ypu here about ampere? Ive never heard of it

look at the thread that was linked. WCCF tech reported on it after german source Heise.de reported on it. they have been pretty right before from what i have heard

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I personality did feel that nVidia was not going to release any new architecture for mainstream in 2018 given how it still is ahead of AMD on every tier and with Raja Koduri leaving AMD Radeon for Intel that sure will slow things down even further to AMD ever catching up to nVidia enough to have them roll out a new architecture.

Whoever got a 1080 Ti as soon as possible did the best investment to own the highest end GPU in the mainstream market for quite a long time.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I personality did feel that nVidia was not going to release any new architecture for mainstream in 2018 given how it still is ahead of AMD on every tier and with Raja Koduri leaving AMD Radeon for Intel that sure will slow things down even further to AMD ever catching up to nVidia enough to ave them roll out a new architecture.

Whoever got a 1080 Ti as soon as possible did the best investment to own the highest end GPU in the mainstream market for quite a long time.

But i think Nvidia should be releasing volta since it was announced a long time ago and was hyped up by alot of people. Also i dont think volta will just be pascal with added tensor cores, because that just wouldnt be profitable to them if it doesnt add to performance. 

Just now, KyberKylo77 said:

But i think Nvidia should be releasing volta since it was announced a long time ago and was hyped up by alot of people.

Nah Volta was "announced" even before Maxwell roll out, that is meaningless.

1 minute ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Also i dont think volta will just be pascal with added tensor cores, because that just wouldnt be profitable to them if it doesnt add to performance. 

What you think is irrelevant :P Volta is an enterprise solution for high end computing, it's market is not mainstream consumers, so it is profitable as is and regardless Pascal still owns the market nVidia is doing just fine financially.

Personal Desktop":

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Nah Volta was "announced" even before Maxwell roll out, that is meaningless.

What you think is irrelevant :P Volta is an enterprise solution for high end computing, it's market is not mainstream consumers, so it is profitable as is and regardless Pascal still owns the market nVidia is doing just fine financially.

Sucks for us i guess...