Quick Disconnects, yeah or nay?

So Ive changed the gpu in my evolv itx loop a couple of weeks ago and was reminded at that point that draining my loop without a proper drain port is somewhat annoying. Since ill probably drain the system again soon to do a few things I thought about how to remedy that while Im at it. My loop goes from the pump/res/CPU block combo to a rad, to the gpu, to two more rads and to the cpu block again, the plan would be to put a male and a female qd3 fitting on the 45°adapters of the GPU block. That way I could remove the gpu quickly and reconnect the tubing to run the cpu loop only to test aircooled gpus. I could also remove the two fittings from the GPU, put them on some extra tubing with an adapter and use that to drain/fill/flush the loop. Im somewhat worried about the added resistance though, the Rajintek pump is rated for 4w and 120l/h (no headpressure info). I usually run the pump at full speed, and at least like it is now the flowrate seems alright (the reservior drained very rapidly when I filled it). Turning the pump down to ~70% decreases the performance by maybe 1°C at most, at 45% pump speed im loosing 6 °C or so though.

Anyway, does anybody have some experience with the flow restrictions of QD3 fittings? Will it be alright or will my flowrate go to crap?

Its alright if I loose a few °C, Im more concerned with the pump being completely overwhelmed. Maybe you have a better idea to add some convenience to my loop (btw cost for the fittings would be around 70 euro....).

A picture of the loop is down below.

IMG_20171113_204119.jpg

21 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

-SNIP-

You can use quick disconnects to drain the loop if you don't have the space for a T fitting and valve, just make sure to order and extra pair of quick disconnects for draining. They don't really add much restriction to the loop so you won't have to worry about flow.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-matte-black-quick-disconnected-female-with-inner-g1-4.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-matte-black-quick-disconnected-male-with-g1-4.html

On 11/13/2017 at 3:16 PM, Rolling Potatoe said:

So Ive changed the gpu in my evolv itx loop a couple of weeks ago and was reminded at that point that draining my loop without a proper drain port is somewhat annoying. Since ill probably drain the system again soon to do a few things I thought about how to remedy that while Im at it. My loop goes from the pump/res/CPU block combo to a rad, to the gpu, to two more rads and to the cpu block again, the plan would be to put a male and a female qd3 fitting on the 45°adapters of the GPU block. That way I could remove the gpu quickly and reconnect the tubing to run the cpu loop only to test aircooled gpus. I could also remove the two fittings from the GPU, put them on some extra tubing with an adapter and use that to drain/fill/flush the loop. Im somewhat worried about the added resistance though, the Rajintek pump is rated for 4w and 120l/h (no headpressure info). I usually run the pump at full speed, and at least like it is now the flowrate seems alright (the reservior drained very rapidly when I filled it). Turning the pump down to ~70% decreases the performance by maybe 1°C at most, at 45% pump speed im loosing 6 °C or so though.

Anyway, does anybody have some experience with the flow restrictions of QD3 fittings? Will it be alright or will my flowrate go to crap?

Its alright if I loose a few °C, Im more concerned with the pump being completely overwhelmed. Maybe you have a better idea to add some convenience to my loop (btw cost for the fittings would be around 70 euro....).

A picture of the loop is down below.

IMG_20171113_204119.jpg

What W-L said above. BTW it is yay or nay i think :P

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and installed some quick disconnects,

seems like the flow rate wasnt affected at all....very nice.

The QD3 disconnects feel very solid and are easy to connect and disconnect

with almost no spillage, the downsides are the size and the price of course.

IMG_20171130_180940.jpg