1. 1. Which vehicular would you pick?

• 2011 Porsche Cayenne/S
    • 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Overland
    • 2016 Lincoln MKC
    • 2012 Land Rover LR4 HSE
    • 2013 RX350 FSport
    • 2011 BMW X5
    • 2013 GLK350

When I move back to the coast, I'll be getting a new vehicle. I'd like an SUV, at most midsized, because I'll be living in the city and I haul quite a bit of gear a couple times a month. I also like the higher seating positions they give. I'd greatly prefer a vehicle that has cooled seats. I'll make exceptions in some cases (like the LR4), but it has to be an exceptional vehicle for me to consider it. I'd also like a panoramic roof, but it's not a necessity. It needs to have a lot of cargo space. I've thought about station wagons, but they don't really offer what I'm after, and are harder to source.

I've narrowed it down to these four options, but am more than open to ideas, hence the post.

The Cayenne has loads of options, and I love the look. Plus it's a Porsche. Interior design is solid. It's on the higher priced side, though.

The Jeep has the features I'd want, but lacks on the interior design front.

The MKC is nice and compact. Has all the features I'd want, though its cargo capacity is reduced. Repairs would likely be cheaper.

The LR4 is a beast. Offroad capability galore, amazing visibility. Loads of cargo space. Downsides are fuel economy, and potentially reliability.

What would you pick out of these four? Are there any other options I'm overlooking?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Out of those choices, the Porsche. However I wouldn't personally buy any one of those for myself.

What would you get?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I don't personally like new cars but If I had to buy new, it would be a new Ford Explorer Sport, with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

I wouldn't really call vehicles that are 7-8 years old new :P

The Explorers are nice, for sure, but a fair bit larger.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

You would have to factor in the cost to maintain the car. Porsche are expensive to maintain, while Lincoln and Jeep are a bit more affordable but they are not as reliable. Land Rover probably falls in between, which is why I voted for that one.

If I had to suggest another option, I would pick between the Subaru Outback or Forester, but that's just me.

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'm pretty sure the Explorers are smaller than the Porsche and Lincoln on your list aren't they?

Newer Explorers are smaller now, but still bigger than the Porsche and Lincoln.

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Ah well. I'd still get it over anything else on the list. I'm not buying though so ultimatly its gonna come down to whatever tickles your fancy. That Porsche though, IIRC I think the bumper has to come off to change its air filter.

Well technically it's not that big of a difference.

2017 Ford Explorer Sport 198″ L x 79″ W x 70″ H

2012 Land Rover LR4 HSE 196″ L x 77″ W x 74″ H

2011 Porsche Cayenne/S 191″ L x 76″ W x 67″ H

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 190″ L x 76″ W x 69″ H

2016 Lincoln MKC 179″ L x 73″ W x 65″ H

17 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

You would have to factor in the cost to maintain the car. Porsche are expensive to maintain, while Lincoln and Jeep are a bit more affordable but they are not as reliable. Land Rover probably falls in between, which is why I voted for that one.

If I had to suggest another option, I would pick between the Subaru Outback or Forester, but that's just me.

Maintenance isn't too bad. I wouldn't go to a dealership, and could do most of it myself. What I couldn't do, I could easily get my dad to do. The Land Rover is by far the least reliable (even if it isn't that bad), but I loooove the looks.

I've actually considered Subaru in the past, but the interior just isn't quite there for me.

17 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'm stuck in the early 2000s for cars man. It was a great time and a lot of fantastic things were made.

I'm pretty sure the Explorers are smaller than the Porsche and Lincoln on your list aren't they?

Yeah there were some good vehicles for sure, I love the MKV Golf. The nice thing about them is the price, for sure. Everything from that era is quite cheap now. I'm waiting for 2023 when I fully intend to import an Audi RS6 Avant.

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Ah well. I'd still get it over anything else on the list. I'm not buying though so ultimatly its gonna come down to whatever tickles your fancy. That Porsche though, IIRC I think the bumper has to come off to change its air filter.

Haha, no, nothing that bad. You can replace it from under the hood. You're thinking of the Panamera. Loved the look on customers faces when they were quoted how much it costs to replace it.

14 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Newer Explorers are smaller now, but still bigger than the Porsche and Lincoln.

Bigger than they've ever been actually.

4 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Well technically it's not that big of a difference.

2017 Ford Explorer Sport 198″ L x 79″ W x 70″ H

2012 Land Rover LR4 HSE 196″ L x 77″ W x 74″ H

2011 Porsche Cayenne/S 191″ L x 76″ W x 67″ H

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 190″ L x 76″ W x 69″ H

2016 Lincoln MKC 179″ L x 73″ W x 65″ H

Close, but the LR4 is only 190". The top of what I'd really be after. I know it's only 8" bigger, but before I was pretty set on a more compact vehicle :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Ah. i was going off of the fact that I saw an Edge in front of me on the way to school almost every day until I moved after graduating. And the Explorers here look smaller than edge does from the back anyway. To me at least. Never seen them side by side. 

Quick google search says the MKC is a dressed up Edge so that's what I was going off of.

Thats what it was. I want to get an air filter for one of those as a garage ornament once I have my own place.

LoL why? They're just a basic air filter, nothing fancy.

Ah, yes. The MKC is actually based on the Escape, but doesn't share much with it. It's based on their C1 global platform.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

The Bullshit Grand Cherokee is the last thing I'd go for. Not a great time for some of the interior designs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The Land Rover is by far the least reliable (even if it isn't that bad), but I loooove the looks.

I wasn't really sure on this, but I would still pick it based on looks alone since they all are not the best maintenance wise. 

Both the Porsche and the Disco will be absolute money pits. Does nothing with a Lexus badge take your fancy?

Jeeps today are terrible thanks to it's Fiat Chrysler roots. Lincolns are also generally bad, or was it Buick? I don't remember, still don't trust most American manufacturers. Land Rovers are know to have be quite expensive to maintain. Porsche isn't the best, but certainly better than the other 3. :P

How about a Mazda CX-9 or something from Lexus?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Jeeps today are terrible thanks to it's Fiat Chrysler roots. Lincolns are also generally bad, or was it Buick? I don't remember, still don't trust most American manufacturers. Land Rovers are know to have be quite expensive to maintain. Porsche isn't the best, but certainly better than the other 3. :P

Jeeps aren't really that bad. Many of Fiat's American born children companies aren't. They get bad reps due to stupid Americans, and not being favored as much over seas.

Most Lincoln vehicles are mainly a rebadged Ford, with the MKV truck literally being a Ford F150 with a different grill and badges. They're not huge award winners, but they're reliable as long as you actually do scheduled maintainence.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'm stuck in the early 2000s for cars man. It was a great time and a lot of fantastic things were made.

1999-2015 was probably where most of the good cars were at.

I've gone from wanting a 2013/2014 Ford Fusion to wanting a 2005-2008 Mazda6, shit if I could find a Mazdaspeed6 for the right price and condition I'd go for that instead. I might settle with a V6 Mazda6 though unless the 4 cyl is better.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Are there any other options I'm overlooking?

From your options it seems that you are looking at more on the American/European side of things. Are you considering any of the options in a Asian market? Lexus and Acura have some great options.

36 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Because its YUGE

And that would explain it.

Haha, yes, it's pretty big. Though slim. :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The Bullshit Grand Cherokee is the last thing I'd go for. Not a great time for some of the interior designs.

Yeah the center stack is pretty bad. It is the cheapest though.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Both the Porsche and the Disco will be absolute money pits. Does nothing with a Lexus badge take your fancy?

Money pits how? If you're thinking daily running cost, it won't be that bad. Maintenance won't be bad either, as aftermarket parts are pretty reasonable for the consumables. I'd actually forgotten about Lexus.

19 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yeah I'm generally not a fan of American manufacturers either, but the newer Lincolns have a nice look to them and their interiors aren't terrible either. I've never been a fan of the CX9. It looks...dopey/droopy from the front. The newer ones look way nicer, however they're also huge. If I was going with something that big I'd probably lean more towards a Q7.

....I kind of want to throw the E70 X5 and Q5 in there as well. Though the latter is a little on the small side.

I added the FSport RX350. I'd forgotten about that guy tbh.

5 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

From your options it seems that you are looking at more on the American/European side of things. Are you considering any of the options in a Asian market? Lexus and Acura have some great options.

I added a Lexus (forgot about them) but that's the only one I recall liking. The MDX has grown a little large, and I'm not a huge fan of the interior. I love the Lexus GX460, but it's still quite expensive. The FX line from Infiniti feels too large.

I might also get the vehicle from the US, so if they're manufactured there it could save me 6%.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

Money pits how? If you're thinking daily running cost, it won't be that bad. Maintenance won't be bad either, as aftermarket parts are pretty reasonable for the consumables. I'd actually forgotten about Lexus.

It's not the consumables, it's when it breaks. They are very complex, not very reliable vehicles. Search for 'Doug Demuro Range Rover warranty' on you tube for a feel of the cost of keeping a Land Rover product (Defender excepted) on the road.

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, yes, it's pretty big. Though slim. :ph34r:

Yeah the center stack is pretty bad. It is the cheapest though.

Yeah I'm generally not a fan of American manufacturers either, but the newer Lincolns have a nice look to them and their interiors aren't terrible either. I've never been a fan of the CX9. It looks...dopey/droopy from the front. The newer ones look way nicer, however they're also huge. If I was going with something that big I'd probably lean more towards a Q7.

....I kind of want to throw the E70 X5 and Q5 in there as well. Though the latter is a little on the small side.

I added the FSport RX350. I'd forgotten about that guy tbh.

I added a Lexus (forgot about them) but that's the only one I recall liking. The MDX has grown a little large, and I'm not a huge fan of the interior. I love the Lexus GX460, but it's still quite expensive. The FX line from Infiniti feels too large.

I might also get the vehicle from the US, so if they're manufactured there it could save me 6%.

I really like the CT210 FSport and would love to get one second hand :P (I'm still in Uni so yea). Though I am worried about how it will perform in winter conditions here considering ground clearance isn't the best and the hybrid system seems like a bad choice for snow. Which is why I'm also eyeing an older A4 and the new Imprezza. 

But yea, I don't care for the exterior styling of the CX-9. But the interior is top notch and underrated. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Am I allowed to vote again, cause I'll vote for that!

I think you can revote, can't you? I'm pretty sure you can change it after you cast it.

It's definitely a nice vehicle. Kind of considered the 200T, but it's almost the same price as the Porsche, and lacks cooled seats.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

With this, I would pick the Lincoln. Out of all of them it is the newest and you get that panoramic roof. Plus, Matthew McConaughey swears by them.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

It's not the consumables, it's when it breaks. They are very complex, not very reliable vehicles. Search for 'Doug Demuro Range Rover warranty' on you tube for a feel of the cost of keeping a Land Rover product (Defender excepted) on the road.

Oh, yeah the LR for sure has issues with that. The Porsche though, I don't think as much.

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I really like the CT210 FSport and would love to get one second hand :P (I'm still in Uni so yea). Though I am worried about how it will perform in winter conditions here considering ground clearance isn't the best and the hybrid system seems like a bad choice for snow. Which is why I'm also eyeing an older A4 and the new Imprezza. 

But yea, I don't care for the exterior styling of the CX-9. But the interior is top notch and underrated. 

Yeah those look nice! TBH, I'd love a small vehicle, but it's just not practical for me. I wouldn't worry about ground clearance too much, my buddy had a Prius for a while (BCHydro company car) and it did just fine in the winter. He actually quite enjoyed it. Plus if you're staying around Vancouver winter doesn't really exist :P  I like the A4. There's loads you can do to them, plus if you get a newer one the Allroad is sexy. Apparently their higher end models (S4, etc) with the V8s are horrible to work on though. I love the look of the new XC60, just wish they'd brought it out 3 or 4 years ago :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

With this, I would pick the Lincoln. Out of all of them it is the newest and you get that panoramic roof. Plus, Matthew McConaughey swears by them.

Even over the RX? It's manufactured in Ontario, so I'd still avoid the 6%.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

Yeah those look nice! TBH, I'd love a small vehicle, but it's just not practical for me. I wouldn't worry about ground clearance too much, my buddy had a Prius for a while (BCHydro company car) and it did just fine in the winter. He actually quite enjoyed it. Plus if you're staying around Vancouver winter doesn't really exist :P  I like the A4. There's loads you can do to them, plus if you get a newer one the Allroad is sexy. Apparently their higher end models (S4, etc) with the V8s are horrible to work on though. I love the look of the new XC60, just wish they'd brought it out 3 or 4 years ago :P

If I were to get an A4, I'm probably just going to stay with the standard 2.0T with Quattro. I still go to SFU right now so that's a consideration. I had a close call with my Civic during the freak snowstorms during the spring, even in Richmond, so AWD could be nice. The severity of the snow has been progressively getting worse every year it seems.

I'm still young so it's not going to be a family hauler of any sorts and fuel is getting extremely expensive. 145 cents per litre highs this week for god sakes. :dry: