27" 144 Hz 1440p Monitor

khar

Hello everybody,

This is my first post. Thanks in advance for the help in this matter.

I have a somewhat old 1080p 60 Hz monitor (around 6 years). I build a new PC a year ago and now I have a 1070 and would like to upgrade to a better monitor. I use the computer for both work and gaming. I play single player games (like Wolfenstein 2, Shadows of War and the likes) and also some shooters online.

Putting it clear I have little idea if I should pick an IPS or a TN panel or if it should have G-sync or not. I want it to be 27" (as it is the size I'm used to it) and regarding the price range it should be 700 € (more or less as I want to pick up as a Black Friday/Cyber Monday or Christmas deal). Perhaps it's not needed but I live in Spain and will buy it from Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestions and your time

How about the Dell S2716DG? http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg/apd/210-agul/monitors-monitor-accessories. It is 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor with G-Sync. The only box it doesn't tick it IPS - It's a TN panel. 

I have the 24" version of the above monitor, and it is awesome. On a personal note, it doesn't have that gaming look that all of the similar monitors have. Maybe it's just because I'm not as young as I once was...but I just like my monitor to look like a monitor and still do it's job.

3 minutes ago, Farden said:

Welcome.

I use this monitor along with its 4k 60fps counterpart and it's a great screen, i love it.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/tN4NnQ/acer-predator-xb271hua-270-2560x1440-165hz-monitor-umhx1eea01

How can you use that monitor if it's only 1440p? 

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

5 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

How about the Dell S2716DG? http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg/apd/210-agul/monitors-monitor-accessories. It is 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor with G-Sync. The only box it doesn't tick it IPS - It's a TN panel. 

I have the 24" version of the above monitor, and it is awesome. On a personal note, it doesn't have that gaming look that all of the similar monitors have. Maybe it's just because I'm not as young as I once was...but I just like my monitor to look like a monitor and still do it's job.

How can you use that monitor if it's only 1440p? 

I'm not sure I follow, I use both the QHD/1440p 165hz screen and the 28" 4k 60hz predator screen (although the 4k panel is TN, the 1440 is IPS). Pretty much have the 4k screen for content and sit-back-and-relax games such as RPG's, the 1440p sits in the middle for high FPS stuff such as shooters and then I have a crappy old 1080p screen for discord next to that.

Why not VA? Samsung C27HG70, ask @borcherd11199 what he thinks of it, as I recommended him the same panel.

Last time I asked, he was content with it.

It's a 2500:1 native contrast (compared to 1000:1 of TN, or 1200:1 of IPS), 10bit panel (instead of 8bit from most IPS panels or 6bit+FRC from TN) with HDR and freesync. Quantum Dot is also a nice touch, it makes colors very vibrant.

3 minutes ago, Farden said:

I'm not sure I follow, I use both the QHD/1440p 165hz screen and the 4k 60hz predator screen (although the 4k panel is TN, the 1440 is IPS)

My bad, I thought you only linked the one 1440p monitor.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I will wait for next week's Black Friday or at Christmas to check which monitor do I buy.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:56 AM, Majestic said:

Why not VA? Samsung C27HG70, ask @borcherd11199 what he thinks of it, as I recommended him the same panel.

Last time I asked, he was content with it.

It's a 2500:1 native contrast (compared to 1000:1 of TN, or 1200:1 of IPS), 10bit panel (instead of 8bit from most IPS panels or 6bit+FRC from TN) with HDR and freesync. Quantum Dot is also a nice touch, it makes colors very vibrant.

The Samsung CHG is a great monitor, but it only comes with freesync. There are no g-sync variants (to my knowledge).

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get back to this topic, i have got the monitor  for a little month  now and it's been  good so far, and great for gaming.