good mobo for i7 4770k

Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
5 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

i think i want the 1600 to overclock since i really am looking at gaming for 99% of its function besides web browsing. what a great board to over clock that in a full atx size? and that m.2 is faster than a regular ssd?

All of the Ryzen CPUs can overclock, that board should be pretty solid.

That one is just sata on an M.2 package, mostly because it's more convenient just to slap in the M.2 rather than deal with sata power/data cables.

NVME are the faster M.2 SSDs, but they're not worth the cost for most people.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbjrCy
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbjrCy/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $648.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 00:59 EST-0500

what should i look for when getting an atx board for my i7 4770k that i want to over clock?  z87 or z97? and how can i tell if it will fit sli with high bandwidth bridge? thanks.

I was thinking this? https://www.ebay.com/p/ASUS-SABERTOOTHZ97MARK1-Intel-Motherboard/216102262?iid=112634786860&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Dad0bdc825e5847a7b1557d8047d4364d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D192356771640&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

30 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

Do you already have the i7 4770k? Or are you getting it really cheap? If you already have an H97 board, just slap it in there, because you really won't get much more performance out of it with an overclocking board.

Unless this is a secondary PC in which case ya the Sabertooth should be pretty good for like $50 or whatever

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Do you already have the i7 4770k? Or are you getting it really cheap? If you already have an H97 board, just slap it in there, because you really won't get much more performance out of it with an overclocking board.

im prob getting it tomorrow, i sold the h97 board with my i5. got a GOOD deal on selling them.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

1 minute ago, onemanarmy720 said:

im prob getting it tomorrow, i sold the h97 board with my i5. got a GOOD deal on selling them.

Then how much is your total budget here? and how much is that i7? As I might suggest getting on the AM4 platform instead so you have new CPUs until 2020 to choose from. Though that would require DDR4...might be better for the long run.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Then how much is your total budget here? and how much is that i7? As I might suggest getting on the AM4 platform instead so you have new CPUs until 2020 to choose from. Though that would require DDR4...might be better for the long run.

i found the i7 4770k for $180, 16 gb of corsair platinum for $75, and just need a mobo.

2 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

i found the i7 4770k for $180, 16 gb of corsair platinum for $75, and just need a mobo.

Should be a solid board anyways.

If only DDR4 prices didn't suck, you'd have to go 8gbs of RAM to go AM4 at this point, only maybe worth it if you care about being able to upgrade to 8 cores, or just having future upgrades in general

about $300 total
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DBrVTH

Although...at about a $350 total you can get the 6 core R5 1600
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sZYBJV

Spoiler

thanks

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If only DDR4 prices didn't suck, you'd have to go 8gbs of RAM to go AM4 at this point, only maybe worth it if you care about being able to upgrade to 8 cores, or just having future upgrades in general

about $300 total

so as that stands doesn't the 4770k out preform both of those? just that the am4 is upgradable?

Just now, onemanarmy720 said:

thanks

so as that stands doesn't the 4770k out preform both of those? just that the am4 is upgradable?

The 6 core is going to beat it in multi-threaded applications

for gaming it's probably like 100fps for Ryzen 110-115 fps for the 4770K in AAA games relatively speaking, since CPUs bottleneck refresh rate.

and it does give you the upgrade path for AM4, though at 8 cores you want a fan on that VRM.

GN has a lot of CPUs in their 8700K review, including a 4790K
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking/page-5

And for general CPU core scaling in games

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

The 6 core is going to beat it in multi-threaded applications

for gaming it's probably like 100fps for Ryzen 110-115 fps for the 4770K in AAA games relatively speaking, since CPUs bottleneck refresh rate.

and it does give you the upgrade path for AM4, though at 8 cores you want a fan on that VRM.

GN has a lot of CPUs in their 8700K review, including a 4790K
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking/page-5

And for general CPU core scaling in games

thanks, i just dont know what to do know lol xD

4 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

thanks, i just dont know what to do know lol xD

Do you have like a total budget? If you don't want the option of an 8 core in the future, then the 4770K will be fine for gaming at high refresh rates for a good long while, Ryzen is only more useful if you get into like recording/streaming/video editing ect. that wants a lot of cores.

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

about $300 total

okay I'm also getting a new copy of windows and an ssd.

so for everything I'm getting with the i7, mobo, ssd, windows, and 16gb ram I'd get it for $50 less than if i just got the 1600, mobo, 8gb ram, ssd, and windows.

btw do you know where I can get windows cheap?

Do you have like a total budget? If you don't want the option of an 8 core in the future, then the 4770K will be fine for gaming at high refresh rates for a good long while, Ryzen is only more useful if you get into like recording/streaming/video editing ect. that wants a lot of cores.

only gaming, i do VERY mild recording/streaming/video editing ect.

3 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

okay I'm also getting a new copy of windows and an ssd.

so for everything I'm getting with the i7, mobo, ssd, windows, and 16gb ram I'd get it for $50 less than if i just got the 1600, mobo, 8gb ram, ssd, and windows.

btw do you know where I can get windows cheap?

You can get windows for free directly form microsoft, you don't need a key to install windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Spoiler

You can get windows for free directly form microsoft, you don't need a key to install windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

im giving my current windows 10 to the pc with my old hard ware. so i think i need a whole new copy.

Just now, onemanarmy720 said:

im giving my current windows 10 to the pc with my old hard ware. so i think i need a whole new copy.

Microsoft literally gives it away for free, you just end up with a small watermark, you can make a windows 10 Flash Drive using their tool, or just download the ISO and use Rufus to make one, then hit "I don't have a Product Key"  when installing

If you end up with extra budget in that case you'd want a nicer AM4 board for the long haul if you go that route, sadly like DDR4 prices, every board between like $70-150 kinda isn't much better than the cheap ASrock Pro4 with a fan on the VRM, until you hit like this ASUS board at $150
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qMdFf7/asus-prime-x370-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-x370-pro

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Microsoft literally gives it away for free, you just end up with a small watermark, you can make a windows 10 Flash Drive using their tool, or just download the ISO and use Rufus to make one, then hit "I don't have a Product Key"  when installing

If you end up with extra budget in that case you'd want a nicer AM4 board for the long haul if you go that route, sadly like DDR4 prices, every board between like $70-150 kinda isn't much better than the cheap ASrock Pro4 with a fan on the VRM, until you hit like this ASUS board at $150
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qMdFf7/asus-prime-x370-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-x370-pro

im sorry im having trouble understanding this lol. what do you mean water mark?

basically im building a whole new pc with my old gpu and psu. I can get windows 10 for free? whats the difference between spending $100 on windows 10 vs this free link? thanks btw, you have been a huge help.

5a0923f36a8dd_ActivateWindows.png.633eadd1c9743c974184b1bc3d19c89d.png

See the activate windows on the bottom right? That's all it does if you get it for free. If you pay them you can change and customize your task bar size and theme, but that's literally it, it's fully functional windows, NSA spying and all.

Spoiler

5a0923f36a8dd_ActivateWindows.png.633eadd1c9743c974184b1bc3d19c89d.png

See the activate windows on the bottom right? That's all it does if you get it for free. If you pay them you can change and customize your task bar size and theme, but that's literally it, it's fully functional windows, NSA spying and all.

wow thanks, ill have to look into that lol.

wow thanks, ill have to look into that lol.

But ya if that gave you more budget then either get a nicer AM4 board or step up to the R7 1700, you can still overclock on the $70 board with a fan on the VRM, but a nicer board means nicer OCs.

too bad DDR4 prices still suck. 16gbs used to be $100 or less

Spoiler

But ya if that gave you more budget then either get a nicer AM4 board or step up to the R7 1700, you can still overclock on the $70 board with a fan on the VRM, but a nicer board means nicer OCs.

too bad DDR4 prices still suck. 16gbs used to be $100 or less

yeah, can you see that water mark if im playing a game in full screen?

yeah, can you see that water mark if im playing a game in full screen?

It's always on top, but if you use OBS to record a game window for instance it does not show up there, since it's on the windows side of things, would only show if you recorded your desktop for instance. Dunno, but I wouldn't pay Microsoft $100 to spy on me.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It's always on top, but if you use OBS to record a game window for instance it does not show up there, since it's on the windows side of things, would only show if you recorded your desktop for instance. Dunno, but I wouldn't pay Microsoft $100 to spy on me.

yeah i get it, i hate spending that much for windows, i think im gonna go for the i7. i need a new board, and i already have a h115i v2 that i got for $60. i wanted to try a overclock the i7, what type of board should i get z87, z97, and what some some things too look for in a board? i see some for around $70-$120. 

14 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

yeah i get it, i hate spending that much for windows, i think im gonna go for the i7. i need a new board, and i already have a h115i v2 that i got for $60. i wanted to try a overclock the i7, what type of board should i get z87, z97, and what some some things too look for in a board? i see some for around $70-$120. 

I'd go for the R5 1600 if you're going to spend that much on a board for it, but you need a Z chipset to overclock with intel, the Sabertooth board you linked should be solid

Here another general video on Core/Thread scaling in games and it's potential future.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'd go for the R5 1600 if you're going to spend that much on a board for it, but you need a Z chipset to overclock with intel, the Sabertooth board you linked should be solid

Here another general video on Core/Thread scaling in games and it's potential future.

alright, I have $750 to spend on, ssd, windows, mobo, cpu, and ram. i was looking at a 500gb Samsung evo for $150. I think you have convinced me to go for the 1600. i want to overclock it, is the 1600x worth the extra?

and what is this? would this work for windows. https://www.ebay.com/itm/License-Licenza-Microsoft-Windows-10-PRO-32-64-BIT/232543900041?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D16649e4bc66f428e8ebd34924efe4371%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D142513127583&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

8 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

For $750 you could totally get a solid AM4 board and Ryzen 7, though for more pure gaming the R5 1600 makes more sense

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pn893F
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pn893F/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($284.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($82.33 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $677.30

If you're going to buy windows you can always buy it later, or use a third party key site like Kinguin or something, I just don't support that grey market when you can get it for free. You want a Retail key though not an OEM key. I'm not sure you can get retail keys through those sites anymore though

OEM keys lock themselves to your motherboard or something.

Do you really need a 500GB SSD? Suppose you'd get it with the R5 1600 then

Spoiler