Inexpensive 4k Blu Ray player Vs Xbox One S

With the release of the Xbox One X and black Friday around the corner I was considering seeing if I could pick up a cheap Xbox One S. I'm interested in it mainly as a 4k blu ray player as I mainly game on my PC, though the odd thing you don't get on PC could be interesting (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2).

My question is; does anyone know what a dedicated 4k player in a similar price bracket (e.g. Panasonic DMP-UB400 up to the UB700/ Sony UBP X800) offers that the console does not? Are we only talking features like Dolby Atmos, or are there other features that are missing on the console?

Also, anyone use the Xbone S for watching movies? How intrusive is the fan noise? I have heard one in a shop and found it very quiet, though obviously a quiet living room is a very different environment re: ambient noise...

3 minutes ago, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

With the release of the Xbox One X and black Friday around the corner I was considering seeing if I could pick up a cheap Xbox One S. I'm interested in it mainly as a 4k blu ray player as I mainly game on my PC, though the odd thing you don't get on PC could be interesting (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2).

My question is; does anyone know what a dedicated 4k player in a similar price bracket (e.g. Panasonic DMP-UB400 up to the UB700/ Sony UBP X800) offers that the console does not? Are we only talking features like Dolby Atmos, or are there other features that are missing on the console?

Also, anyone use the Xbone S for watching movies? How intrusive is the fan noise? I have heard one in a shop and found it very quiet, though obviously a quiet living room is a very different environment re: ambient noise...

a remote

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

25 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

a remote

So just were I to buy the remote there's nothing to distinguish between them?

The cheapest UHD BR players seem to start at $150 or above, at least that's what I've seen. 

The Xbox One S supports most of the features a high end BR player would from what I remember, and that includes HDR and Dolby Atmos, among other things.

Where would you be getting these at?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The cheapest UHD BR players seem to start at $150 or above, at least that's what I've seen. 

The Xbox One S supports most of the features a high end BR player would from what I remember, and that includes HDR and Dolby Atmos, among other things.

Where would you be getting these at?

In addition to this... About the fan noise, at least with the PS4 and the Xbox 360 fan noise wasn't an issue, I'm sure the same story could be had with the Xbox One X or the Xbone S

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

@Dan Castellaneta Well probably Amazon or some such e-tailer (UK). Here I've seen the One S for £180, so if an equivalent 4k player doesn't provide anything on top I may as well get this and occasionally get a game for it. I'd be happy to go up to around £300 (e.g. the Sony) if doing so added some value I could use.

@wcreek I have a 360 and it's rather too loud in movies...I have hooked a friend's PS4 though and found that near as makes no difference silent so if it's more like that it wouldn't bother me even in quiet films.

Just now, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

@wcreek I have a 360 and it's rather too loud in movies...I have hooked a friend's PS4 though and found that near as makes no difference silent so if it's more like that it wouldn't bother me even in quiet films.

Hmm, I suppose I'm also not sitting very close to the console when I do use it for that.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

@Dan Castellaneta Well probably Amazon or some such e-tailer (UK). Here I've seen the One S for £180, so if an equivalent 4k player doesn't provide anything on top I may as well get this and occasionally get a game for it. I'd be happy to go up to around £300 (e.g. the Sony) if doing so added some value I could use.

Yeah, an equivalent 4k BR player wouldn't add much, if anything.

You'd probably get more for your money anyways with the One S, especially if you decide to sell it or its games later on down the road.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 12.11.2017 at 10:33 PM, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

Cheers guys, that does help. 

Tbh I hate my Xbone S. I bought it exclusively to watch Blurays and 4k Blurays because at the time it was the cheapest player. I've only tried 2 4k disc's yet but on one I had constant stutter at the beginning which, i'm pretty sure, come from the Xbox. 

If you don't wanna use any of the other crappy features the Xbox offers I'd recommend a dedicated player over it any day. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

bh I hate my Xbone S. I bought it exclusively to watch Blurays and 4k Blurays because at the time it was the cheapest player. I've only tried 2 4k disc's yet but on one I had constant stutter at the beginning which, i'm pretty sure, come from the Xbox. 

If you don't wanna use any of the other crappy features the Xbox offers I'd recommend a dedicated player over it any day. 

That is unfortunate to hear. I bought mine for some light gaming and to have a dedicated Amazon Prime app function. I dont even own a 4k tv, but that would drive me insane. Granted I got my Xbox One S last week, and only paid $150 out the door for it so I wont be able to complain regardless.

Thanks for the updates guys. After posting this thread I lurked around on AVForums and found a thread with similar issues to yours @FloRolf, so I had a chat with some people in a local AV shop and I think I'm going to pick up a Sony UBP-X800 in the end. 

The gaming features would be quite nice but I mainly game on my PC anyway, so they'd be less of a deal-breaker than a crappy 4k player would be. Seems the One S/X are not as great at movies as they were originally hyped to be and that's a shame because I don't think it's down to the hardware from what I've heard; looks like MS just don't give a crap about the blu ray app.

11 minutes ago, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

Thanks for the updates guys. After posting this thread I lurked around on AVForums and found a thread with similar issues to yours @FloRolf, so I had a chat with some people in a local AV shop and I think I'm going to pick up a Sony UBP-X800 in the end. 

The gaming features would be quite nice but I mainly game on my PC anyway, so they'd be less of a deal-breaker than a crappy 4k player would be. Seems the One S/X are not as great at movies as they were originally hyped to be and that's a shame because I don't think it's down to the hardware from what I've heard; looks like MS just don't give a crap about the blu ray app.

yeah, good decision! I'm thinking about getting a dedicated player aswell as i totally hate this POS Xbox, lol. 

It's not only that but also that it didn't even had the Bluray App preinstalled, which was kinda fucked up when i first moved in and didn't have a connection yet. Also it took over an hour to download and install a 400mb update, which on PC would've taken 15mins max. 

Even though the new X packs quite a punch, i'll never get a console again. Currently using the PC in my sig as an HTPC and this is really satisfying, even though it can't play back 4k bluray.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List