Possible Nvidia Shield Compatability Leak

Stonep11

I was considering getting a Shield to game stream, but I don't have a Dual-band wireless-n router or higher.  I went to Nvidia and asked their live assistance if it would be possible to use my onboard (mPCI wireless-ac) wireless on my Maximus V Formula to stream from the PC to the device.  I got this response:

"chat_agent.png Sen: I am sorry, first of all we can not comment on future release information. And as of now, PC streaming is only possible using routers"

followed a little later by this...

"chat_agent.png Sen: NVIDIA recommends using these below routers for PC-Streaming :

http://shield.nvidia.com/accessories-hardware/

chat_agent.png Sen: As of now on-board wireless is not supported"

He didn't seem super sure, told me to try it and it may or may not work.

Still looking at getting a Shield and thought this was interesting.

if this is true that would be great even less input lag into the shield since thats one less place to go to interesting to say the least hope they release this and soon

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

I was considering getting a Shield to game stream, but I don't have a Dual-band wireless-n router or higher.  I went to Nvidia and asked their live assistance if it would be possible to use my onboard (mPCI wireless-ac) wireless on my Maximus V Formula to stream from the PC to the device.  I got this response:

"chat_agent.png Sen: I am sorry, first of all we can not comment on future release information. And as of now, PC streaming is only possible using routers"

followed a little later by this...

"chat_agent.png Sen: NVIDIA recommends using these below routers for PC-Streaming :

http://shield.nvidia.com/accessories-hardware/

chat_agent.png Sen: As of now on-board wireless is not supported"

He didn't seem super sure, told me to try it and it may or may not work.

Still looking at getting a Shield and thought this was interesting.

With a topic like this Tech support can never say yes or no really. They need to be as open as they can because they got no idea how your set-up is running. This happens for many things. They want to cover all bases and be as open as they can. 

if this is true that would be great even less input lag into the shield since thats one less place to go to interesting to say the least hope they release this and soon

Would be great being able to carry around a portable mITX rig and stream from it without needing a $200 router.

With a topic like this Tech support can never say yes or no really. They need to be as open as they can because they got no idea how your set-up is running. This happens for many things. They want to cover all bases and be as open as they can. 

I know what you mean, a big reason why I just put it in general discussion, I didn't think this was news, just a bit leading and also interesting to think about.

I'm guessing AD-hoc doesn't work... And ad-hoc is stupid anyway

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I have heard about that in reference to this type of thing.  What does that mean exactly and why is it bad?

Ad-hoc means 1 WiFi device to another without need of a router.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

The only successful experience I have had with nVidia shield streaming was when I was literally sitting 2 ft from the router, if I wondered off any further it would start dropping frames and eventually disconnect. Has not been a good experience for me personally at all. But I have not tried it with the latest drivers and nVidia Experience loaded, might have to dust it off and try again.

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

Barnacules Nerdgasm  B) 

[YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook]

The only successful experience I have had with nVidia shield streaming was when I was literally sitting 2 ft from the router, if I wondered off any further it would start dropping frames and eventually disconnect. Has not been a good experience for me personally at all. But I have not tried it with the latest drivers and nVidia Experience loaded, might have to dust it off and try again.

I tried Limelight on my S4 as a test to see if my router was decent enough.  I was able to get practically zero latency at about 75 ft.  Of course I had no control, but it really got me excited for shield.

PS. Awesome segment on the WAN show! Hope to see you on again soon.

I honestly think it's a pretty stupid concept and it won't take off. It's a niche market and it's still not doing too amazing there. Everyone, like the op, is skeptical of buying it. If you've got enough time to sit down and play a shield, you've got enough time to sit down and play your pc. The biggest turn off for me, is that someone can't use the PC while you're using your shield. Because it's stream play & it is playing it on the pc.

I also play pc to use a keyboard and mouse, if I want a tiny controller with a screen attached that has input lag and worse frames then my pc, I'll buy a wii-u.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I honestly think it's a pretty stupid concept and it won't take off. It's a niche market and it's still not doing too amazing there. Everyone, like the op, is skeptical of buying it. If you've got enough time to sit down and play a shield, you've got enough time to sit down and play your pc. The biggest turn off for me, is that someone can't use the PC while you're using your shield. Because it's stream play & it is playing it on the pc.

I also play pc to use a keyboard and mouse, if I want a tiny controller with a screen attached that has input lag and worse frames then my pc, I'll buy a wii-u.

I think you are really thinking about the Shield in too limited of a manner.  I like this idea because I don't get to spend a lot of time with my family because I am in the military.  I also don't get to use my powerful gaming rig when I am away from home.  With the Shield I can sit in the living room with my family and play on the Shield, but also game.  I understand that is a niche, but I don't think it is as you might think.  I also believe the Shield is a very forward thinking device.  Nvidia GRID is not really up and going yet, and the wireless standard that the Shield needs is still an enthusiast standard.  I think once wireless connectivity gets more widespread, the GRID matures, and maybe after the next processor advancement the Shield could be the premier handheld for casual and hardcore gamers.  It has great battery life and I have seen limelight, and that latency is worse than Shield, and it was more than manageable.

I think you are really thinking about the Shield in too limited of a manner.  I like this idea because I don't get to spend a lot of time with my family because I am in the military.  I also don't get to use my powerful gaming rig when I am away from home.  With the Shield I can sit in the living room with my family and play on the Shield, but also game.  I understand that is a niche, but I don't think it is as you might think.  I also believe the Shield is a very forward thinking device.  Nvidia GRID is not really up and going yet, and the wireless standard that the Shield needs is still an enthusiast standard.  I think once wireless connectivity gets more widespread, the GRID matures, and maybe after the next processor advancement the Shield could be the premier handheld for casual and hardcore gamers.  It has great battery life and I have seen limelight, and that latency is worse than Shield, and it was more than manageable.

I was referring to it in its current form and market. If a better one comes out and all of that happens then obviously I wouldn't be right & I might get one. That's a lot of assuming for good scenarios for a product. It also has to do with the marketing of it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was referring to it in its current form and market. If a better one comes out and all of that happens then obviously I wouldn't be right & I might get one. That's a lot of assuming for good scenarios for a product. It also has to do with the marketing of it.

I get your point. I just feel like my use case is very similar to Linus and he loves his so I think I might get one.

I get your point. I just feel like my use case is very similar to Linus and he loves his so I think I might get one.

Well I hate spending time with family. They're annoying as balls. So it might work for you

Ha ha, well I admit it is a niche.

& For me I'm also insane when it comes to responsiveness and framerates. I could careless if it looks good most of the time. But I've got the ability to get all 3, so that's just one more reason it wouldn't suit me well