CPU or GPU upgrade to run HEVC?

I recently bought a Gopro hero 6, which records in HEVC when using 4k60. It records at 66mbps, which my computer can't view without lagging, the CPU usage rises to 100%, while if i decode it to h.264 the CPU usage is 4%. i have tried using VLC which wont even play the video, shows just the first image unless i slow it down to 50%, WMP which just shows a error code, and Movies and TV which shows the video, but not at full speed and is stuttering a bit

I have read that you Kaby lake or newer to efficently view, and somwhere else that is only matters if i use the iGPU. Which is correct?

PC specs is in my signature

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

I have windows 10, but the signature is just a bit outdated

edit: nvm i found out how to update it

Edited by Rampiks

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

I tried PotPlayer now, it plays it back with no lag or audio desync, but still 100% CPU usage

you should just transcode it into a format your hardware can accelerate and you will be fine.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I recommend getting a low-end or low-end used GPU and adding it to your current system because that will be an overall better value when comparing it to purchasing a new processor for your current system.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

20 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I recommend getting a low-end or low-end used GPU and adding it to your current system because that will be an overall better value when comparing it to purchasing a new processor for your current system.

How is this going to help if he already using GTX 970 in SLI?

The reason why cpu usage is high when doing playback is because your GPU doesn't decode it, generally GPU playback is hit or miss, while your cpu doesn't support HEVC/H.265 but your gpu does, but it seems your player doesn't seems to use it, try with MPC-HC? or try it without SLI?

Gopro's own software recommends an i7 and the following -

"Graphics card that supports OpenGL 3.2 or later1 
Recommended for 4K editing and playback: Intel HD Graphics 5000 or better (or similar class graphics card) 
Recommended Video RAM: 512 MB RAM or greater for video playback under 4K, 1GB RAM or greater for 4K playback"

So you should be ok on the GPU, it's the CPU that's letting you down.

16 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

How is this going to help if he already using GTX 970 in SLI?

The reason why cpu usage is high when doing playback is because your GPU doesn't decode it, generally GPU playback is hit or miss, while your cpu doesn't support HEVC/H.265 but your gpu does, but it seems your player doesn't seems to use it, try with MPC-HC? or try it without SLI?

I didn't know the 970 supported HEVC, i though it only partly supported it but 950, 960 and newer gen gpus supported it fully.

I tried with MPC-HC it hovers around 50% cpu and 30% gpu usage, but the video playes slower so it desyncs. PotPlayer plays it without any problems in the video but with 100% cpu usage and 8% gpu usage. Disabling SLI changed nothing.

If i play the a converted vertion (same bitrate) in h.264 i get 3% cpu usage and 50% gpu usage compared to 30% i get with HEVC

Also forgot to mention im going to edit quite a bit in Premiere Pro CC 2018 hopefully without converting HEVC to h.264, which is stuttering and a lot of artifacts

18 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

you should just transcode it into a format your hardware can accelerate and you will be fine.

Yeah, it's proborly what I'm going to do until I can save for a upgrade, i tried it first with handbrake and it took 20 minutes for a 2 minute long video, but luckily Premier pro only takes 8 minutes for the same video and same export settings

22 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Gopro's own software recommends an i7 and the following -

"Graphics card that supports OpenGL 3.2 or later1 
Recommended for 4K editing and playback: Intel HD Graphics 5000 or better (or similar class graphics card) 
Recommended Video RAM: 512 MB RAM or greater for video playback under 4K, 1GB RAM or greater for 4K playback"

So you should be ok on the GPU, it's the CPU that's letting you down.

It's what i was expecting but not hoping since upgrading a GPU is way cheaper haha

10 hours ago, .spider. said:

It is important that you check HEVC and UHD and try different HW decoder in MPC-HC

https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MPC-HC_Video_Decoder_Comparison

i tried enabling all of them and NVIDIA CUVID, but still no change at all,

but thank you for the help

a friend of mine with the same CPU but with a R9 390x tried playing the same video file, he got the audio but no video at all