1080GTX TI Lightning Z + 6700K OC for gaming

Mattaeus
Go to solution Solved by jeremymwilson,
3 minutes ago, CromaT said:

Thanks, Ive noticed most benchmark results the OC game performance differences are negligible at best. I was just concerned my CPU would be able to deliver the require "omph" hence the reason i might need to OC it.

You’ll have no worries there, lots of “oomph” with the Lightning Z!

Hey guys,

If i require a virtual slap please let me know. (I did follow the linus OC video guide for the 6700k)

Display: BENQ 1080P 144hz

Mobo: MSI Z170A Tomahawk

CPU: 6700K @ 4.5ghz 1.320v (auto voltage)

RAM:Gskill 3200mhz 32GB

GPU MSI 1080GTX TI Lightning Z (stock)

In a previous post I made stating that i would be getting a 1080gtx ti. I was also told I would also need to OC my CPU? Is this really necessary on a stock 6700k well by stock i mean XMP profiled (4,2ghz and 3200mhz ram)? I have in the mean time as a test set my cpu to 4.5ghz with auto voltage. If i do require a OC to make the most of the GPU what kind of speed do I need to go for? My PC is used 99% for gaming.

Apologies again for my stupidity.

Okay, so If i revert the bios to optimized defaults and just enable XMP ill be fine? (XMP is 4.2ghz and 3200mhz ram)

To be honest, you never “need” to overclock your cpu. It’s just to see how high you can push it and for synthetic benchmarks. Fairly irrelevant for gaming. 

Your 6700k will do just fine paired with that monster ?

Love not hate

2 minutes ago, CromaT said:

Okay, so If i revert the bios to optimized defaults and just enable XMP ill be fine? (XMP is 4.2ghz and 3200mhz ram)

Yes ?

you could also test with and without the xmp profile to see what difference faster memory makes for games) you’ll probably not notice any difference). 

Love not hate

9 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

To be honest, you never “need” to overclock your cpu. It’s just to see how high you can push it and for synthetic benchmarks. Fairly irrelevant for gaming. 

Your 6700k will do just fine paired with that monster ?

Thanks, Ive noticed most benchmark results the OC game performance differences are negligible at best. I was just concerned my CPU wouldnt be able to deliver the required "omph" to make the most of the graphics card hence the reason i might need to OC it.

3 minutes ago, CromaT said:

Thanks, Ive noticed most benchmark results the OC game performance differences are negligible at best. I was just concerned my CPU would be able to deliver the require "omph" hence the reason i might need to OC it.

You’ll have no worries there, lots of “oomph” with the Lightning Z!

Love not hate

don't use Auto Voltage, use a fixed voltage to determine how low you can take the voltage and still be stable then set to Adaptive with that stable voltage for how high the voltage can go, this will give you better thermals