Router Alternative

BCFR
Go to solution Solved by Ryois,
Just now, BCFR said:

Out of the magical box has cables, one seems to be Ethernet, one seems to be coax. I can't say which is coming from the outside because it's stuffed into a little hole in the wall, with the cables going into the same hole.

So the router is plugged into an Ethernet connection. You could get a modem to use that coax for the phone. We have two modems one for phone and the other for internet at my house.

Hello, here at home we have a router and a modem (separately). We want a new router but I can't seem to find a decent solution for it.

We have the ISP standard wireless router, 4 port, although only 1 of those ports is a gigabit one and we have 200 down and 100 up, but that isn't much of an issue as almost all decent routers have 4 gigabit ports.

The other problem is that the router has 2 phone jacks for home phones, which we use and need, and that is the main issue, since almost all routers have no phone jack ports and I can't seem to find ones that satisfy both those requests (at least 4 port gigabit and phone jacks.

Does anyone know a good router with those two things?

Alternatively, I was also wondering if I could get a RJ-45 to RJ-11 adapter of some sort and connect it to a ethernet port and it'd still work?

Attached is our current router at home (Technicolor TG789vac)

Thank you a bunch!

Router.jpg

2 minutes ago, BCFR said:

Hello, here at home we have a router and a modem (separately). We want a new router but I can't seem to find a decent solution for it.

We have the ISP standard wireless router, 4 port, although only 1 of those ports is a gigabit one and we have 200 down and 100 up, but that isn't much of an issue as almost all decent routers have 4 gigabit ports.

The other problem is that the router has 2 phone jacks for home phones, which we use and need, and that is the main issue, since almost all routers have no phone jack ports and I can't seem to find ones that satisfy both those requests (at least 4 port gigabit and phone jacks.

Does anyone know a good router with those two things?

Alternatively, I was also wondering if I could get a RJ-45 to RJ-11 adapter of some sort and connect it to a ethernet port and it'd still work?

Attached is our current router at home (Technicolor TG789vac)

Thank you a bunch!

Router.jpg

How much are you willing to spend? ~150-200$ Netgear Nighthawk R7000. ~250-300$ Asus RT-AC88U. 

You can't really replace it since it's acting as a phone box too.

Who is your ISP and what model modem do you have?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

You can't really replace it since it's acting as a phone modem too.

6 minutes ago, BCFR said:

Does your modem have phone jacks? You could get a phone jack splitter.

15 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You can't really replace it since it's acting as a phone box too.

21 minutes ago, Ryois said:

Does your modem have phone jacks? You could get a phone jack splitter.

My ISP is a portuguese one called MEO, and the other device we have turns out is not a modem but a ONT (Optical Network Terminal) where our fiber optic line comes into the house. So I guess the router is a modem/router combo? Sorry for not being much help, still new at this.

Just now, BCFR said:

My ISP is a portuguese one called MEO, and the other device we have turns out is not a modem but a ONT (Optical Network Terminal) where our fiber optic line comes into the house. So I guess the router is a modem/router combo? Sorry for not being much help, still new at this.

So fiber comes into your house and goes into a "magical box" agree? Does it come out as Coax most likely not or an RJ-45 most likely from the picture? Does the "magical box" have phone jacks on it or just Ethernet?

Just now, Ryois said:

So fiber comes into your house and goes into a "magical box" agree? Does it come out as Coax most likely not or an RJ-45 most likely from the picture? Does the "magical box" have phone jacks on it or just Ethernet?

Out of the magical box has cables, one seems to be Ethernet, one seems to be coax. I can't say which is coming from the outside because it's stuffed into a little hole in the wall, with the cables going into the same hole.

1 minute ago, BCFR said:

Widening the search for a modem/router combo instead of just router I have found this one. Will this sort of thing work for my case? 

https://www.asus.com/pt/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

Thanks again for all the help

That router's phone in is for failover and a phone jack to plug in a phone. You will not get your 200/100 speeds.

7 minutes ago, BCFR said:

Yah, so that means the box you have is a VOIP box as well.

3 minutes ago, BCFR said:

Widening the search for a modem/router combo instead of just router I have found this one. Will this sort of thing work for my case? 

https://www.asus.com/pt/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

Thanks again for all the help

That's for DSL on the other port, which you don't want. It brings in internet from a phone line which is usually pretty crap anyway.

What you could do is call up your ISP and see if they have a list of approved devices or see if they can get you one with gigabit ports.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, BCFR said:

So the router is plugged into an Ethernet connection. You could get a modem to use that coax for the phone. We have two modems one for phone and the other for internet at my house.

1 minute ago, Ryois said:

Alright, I think I have an idea of what to do now. Thank you for all your help and patience!

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, so that means the box you have is a VOIP box as well.

That's for DSL on the other port, which you don't want. It brings in internet from a phone line which is usually pretty crap anyway.

What you could do is call up your ISP and see if they have a list of approved devices or see if they can get you one with gigabit ports.

Alright, I think I know what to do now. Apparently earlier this year, said ISP has new router for new customers which has 4 gigabit ports, still has the same phone jacks and better wifi! Thanks for all the help!

3 hours ago, BCFR said:

Your setup sounds similar to Verizon Fios Service. The Fiber goes to the ONT and then is converted to Copper. Im guessing Ethernet is for internet and phone service, and Coax is for TV service. It sounds to me like you have a specialized router. It might be difficult to replace. Technically speaking the ONT is acting like your modem. The router you have is just specialized to their service. A good example of this is Verizon. They use a MOCA router on their FIOS service. The MOCA router connects to the ONT via Coax. Becuase the router also transmits on demand data and guide data to the TV boxes for Video service. So that router is specialized to Verizon FIOS. 

Ive never seen a router with Phone Jacks. Well the only router Ive seen with phone jacks are DSL modem/router combos. Which will not work in your case. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.