iPhone X or wait

MatchuEnsmith

I want to upgrade my note 5 to an apple phone. I have already decided to switch the only thing I'm worried about is should I get the X the 8+ or wait till next year's iPhone. So should I wait or pull the trigger?

1 minute ago, MatchuEnsmith said:

I want to upgrade my note 5 to an apple phone.

Why are you wanting to switch to iOS?

I'm just saying you can get like most of the features/performance out of a far less expensive android phone like the essential or a one plus 5/t, and the OP5 actually has a headphone jack

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I'd say the X, but I really prefer the smaller physical body size and I don't mind the narrower screen compared to the Plus. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Streetguru said:

Why are you wanting to switch to iOS?

I'm just saying you can get like most of the features/performance out of a far less expensive android phone like the essential or a one plus 5/t, and the OP5 actually has a headphone jack

I want the convenience of the apple ecosystem also the unrivaled performance of Apple's new phones. Also my android experience has been terrible, I am sick of it and want something different.

Definitely the X. Better than the 8+ in almost every way. If you pay monthly like I do it's only $9 more a month which isn't that bad.

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Definitely the X. Better than the 8+ in almost every way. If you pay monthly like I do it's only $9 more a month which isn't that bad.

I wouldn't say it's better in every way. It's an 8+ in a smaller body with FaceID instead of TouchID, gesture heavy, OLED instead of LCD, and with a marginally better camera. 

Personally I much prefer the smaller body and the narrower screen isn't a problem for me (but for some it might be). FaceID is a bit slower than TouchID, but I don't have to reposition my hand, which makes up for the speed difference. The gesture heavy UI is mostly better imo (closing apps from app switcher is a bit worse, but that's not something I need to do frequently, so isn't a big deal). The OLED, while excellent, really doesn't look much better than Apple's LCD panels. 

4 minutes ago, sorenslothe said:

The guy asks whether or not he should switch to the current gen iPhones or wait until next year, and immediately people argue why he should stick to Android. That's not the question he asked!

You forget that on LTT, iOS is shit, Apple is garbage, and anyone who likes Apple's shit ecosystem/software/hardware is a sheep that should be banned. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, MatchuEnsmith said:

my android experience has been terrible

and what has been terrible about it? Did you update the OS to 7.0?

If you're going for apple and you don't care about price just go balls deep with the X.

As far as unrivaled performance go I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. What is the actual difference in performance outside of benchmarks?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

You forget that on LTT, iOS is shit, Apple is garbage, and anyone who likes Apple's shit ecosystem/software/hardware is a sheep that should be banned.

Well that just means they have no idea what they're talking about though...

1 minute ago, sorenslothe said:

Well that just means they have no idea what they're talking about though...

Well, yes.....but that's still the nature of these forums. People also like to compare the price/performance of an ultrabook to a desktop and then bitch. It's honestly only a matter of time until people start suggesting a laptop instead of a phone because of price/performance. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, sorenslothe said:

The guy asks whether or not he should switch to the current gen iPhones or wait until next year, and immediately people argue why he should stick to Android. That's not the question he asked!

wellcome to the LTT forum, i may not think that Iphones are especially great and i have a general hate for the Apple way of a lot of things, but as OP said, the seemless intergration is sick and they arent BAD, just not for the tinkerers and the ones that know what a resonable pricetag for the hardware is :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

3 minutes ago, sorenslothe said:

Any phone without a headphone jack is garbage.

Naw for me at least it's due to apple's hatred of a FOSS ecosystem, and constantly failing to innovate, and removing features for no reason. The X is starting to innovate a bit, but mostly it just gave the government a full scan of your face lol.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

and what has been terrible about it? Did you update the OS to 7.0?

If you're going for apple and you don't care about price just go balls deep with the X.

As far as unrivaled performance go I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. What is the actual difference in performance outside of benchmarks?

I did, but on previous phones I have had it has been a disaster. The note I have now is ok but not perfect. I want the convenience of Apple.

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ones that know what a resonable pricetag for the hardware is :P 

In all fairness, Apple has actually saved me money over the years (and frustration, which is practically priceless). 

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Any phone without a headphone jack is garbage.

In your opinion. I use bluetooth headphones, and I can just leave the dongle with my headphones and use that whenever I want to use my wired headphones.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

and constantly failing to innovate, and removing features for no reason.

What do they need to innovate exactly? They removed a headphone jack, which is easily remedied and has already pushed manufacturers to actually give a shit about bluetooth headphones.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

In your opinion. I use bluetooth headphones, and I can just leave the dongle with my headphones and use that whenever I want to use my wired headphones

I do the exact same thing. I've had my 7 for about a year now, and I haven't once felt I needed the dongle at a time where I didn't have it with me anyway.

Just now, MatchuEnsmith said:

I did but on previous phones I have had it has been a disaster. The note I have now is ok but not perfect. I want the convenience of Apple

Is that convenience really worth an extra $500? aside from the other costs like accessories?

My only other goal is performance per dollar, which something like a one plus 5 excels at for phones.

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

In all fairness, Apple has actually saved me money over the years (and frustration, which is practically priceless). 

i just ment it in a raw performance for your cash kind of way. you can get a LOT more raw performance per dollar spent building your own windows/linux machine then buying one from apple. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Just now, sorenslothe said:

Naw it's just a fact man, they took away a feature(that will cause other people to copy them for some reason) and didn't replace it with anything significantly better.

Like say some apple approved 3.5mm to bluetooth adapter that would turn any earbud/headphone into a bluetooth one, and one that has the ability to drive audiophile grade gear. But that's just spitballin.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It also won't overheat.

God help anyone who buys that 18 core + Vega iMac Pro

Spoiler

I thinking they will skip the iPhone 8s and go straight for the iPhone 9 next year since iPhone 6/6s/7/8 is 4 iterations of the same body and they have changed after 4 revisions even if it is 2 number cycles 4/4s/5/5s. And I'm going to assume that the iPhone 9 will look exactly like the iPhone X. Even if it won't be OLED and Steel body. And I'm guessing the iPhone X right now will be the normal 9 size (so upgrading from the 4.7in screen's body to the iPhone X sized body) and there will be a plus version as well.

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i just ment it in a raw performance for your cash kind of way. you can get a LOT more raw performance per dollar spent building your own windows/linux machine then buying one from apple. 

True, but that's kind of the nature of ultrabook-type devices. Their laptops/phones/tablets are for the most part fairly competitive in terms of pricing when compared to other ultrabooks, flagship phones, and high end tablets. When it comes to desktops, iMacs generally are fairly well priced compared to other AIOs. But of course, you could also build your own computer, but then you're prioritizing other aspects.

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Naw it's just a fact man, they took away a feature(that will cause other people to copy them for some reason) and didn't replace it with anything significantly better.

Like say some apple approved 3.5mm to bluetooth adapter that would turn any earbud/headphone into a bluetooth one, and one that has the ability to drive audiophile grade gear. But that's just spitballin.

They took away the 3.5mm port to promote the growth of bluetooth, which was stagnating and launched their own pretty good bluetooth earbuds and still gave you an adapter so your old headphones do still work just fine. 

I agree, they should do that, but no one else has done that either. So go complain that no one else is doing that. 

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It also won't overheat.

God help anyone who buys that 18 core + Vega iMac Pro

I've been waiting for my Mac to overheat for 4 years now.....

Considering the thermal performance of the trash can Pro, it might not overheat. Especially since the reason there has been no successor to the trash can pro is because it was at the limits of its thermal capacity and they are going to release a successor to remedy that issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Don't the airpods have audio quality equal to their $30 wired headphones? And worse in comparison to other blue tooth audio in that price range?

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, MatchuEnsmith said:

Also just posted

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, MatchuEnsmith said:

I want to upgrade my note 5 to an apple phone. I have already decided to switch the only thing I'm worried about is should I get the X the 8+ or wait till next year's iPhone. So should I wait or pull the trigger?

Why to wait, get X now =) And I understand you, I was an Android user for years, but after iOS I don't want to come back

45 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I wouldn't say it's better in every way. It's an 8+ in a smaller body with FaceID instead of TouchID, gesture heavy, OLED instead of LCD, and with a marginally better camera. 

Notice I said "almost"