force wifi password?

dragonhart6505

ok, so heres what im doing and why i want to do it:

im using an app on my phone (Remotr) that allows me to basically mirror my PC and play games on my mobile. i want to use this on the go, at dr appointments, in the car...anywhere ill be for an extended period of time. it works well for me so far, but my desktop has an old PCI wireless card that Win10 does not officially support. a Linksys WMP54G v4.0

the drivers i have work perfectly fine, except for one issue. i cant connect to password protected wireless networks, only open networks. i can manually set the SSID of the open network, like if i tether my device with an open wifi hotspot, but since the card is recognized as an Ethernet adapter there is no option to select a wireless network with WPA2 protection so i cant connect to my home wifi, only the open Xfinity network which is lame.

is there some kind of Powershell command or work around for setting a wireless SSID with WPA2 key?

thanks

I doubt it, if there was there would be little point in WPA2 security at all, and if you saw the news a few weeks back it was a BIG news item that there had been an exploit/bug found that WPA2 could be hacked. I had a quick look around and it appears that the card MIGHT work with WPA-PSK, just not WPA2, so you could try setting your network security to allow both WPA/WPA2 mode... if NOT then you might have to buy a new PCI-e card or even a USB wifi device.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

32 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

i cant connect to password protected wireless networks, only open networks.

Your nearly one-and-a-half decade old wireless card might be the problem...

Does it even have support for WPA2? Does the "unofficial" driver support WPA2?

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

54 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

Your nearly one-and-a-half decade old wireless card might be the problem...

Does it even have support for WPA2? Does the "unofficial" driver support WPA2?

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

I doubt it, if there was there would be little point in WPA2 security at all, and if you saw the news a few weeks back it was a BIG news item that there had been an exploit/bug found that WPA2 could be hacked. I had a quick look around and it appears that the card MIGHT work with WPA-PSK, just not WPA2, so you could try setting your network security to allow both WPA/WPA2 mode... if NOT then you might have to buy a new PCI-e card or even a USB wifi device.

was afraid of this. not surprised as i couldnt find anything else about this kind of issue other than people obviously having the same issue.

guess its off to Wally-World for a USB adapter

kthx

1 hour ago, dragonhart6505 said:

ok, so heres what im doing and why i want to do it:

im using an app on my phone (Remotr) that allows me to basically mirror my PC and play games on my mobile. i want to use this on the go, at dr appointments, in the car...anywhere ill be for an extended period of time. it works well for me so far, but my desktop has an old PCI wireless card that Win10 does not officially support. a Linksys WMP54G v4.0

the drivers i have work perfectly fine, except for one issue. i cant connect to password protected wireless networks, only open networks. i can manually set the SSID of the open network, like if i tether my device with an open wifi hotspot, but since the card is recognized as an Ethernet adapter there is no option to select a wireless network with WPA2 protection so i cant connect to my home wifi, only the open Xfinity network which is lame.

is there some kind of Powershell command or work around for setting a wireless SSID with WPA2 key?

thanks

My guess is your WiFi card is soooooo old it dont support newer security standards used in WiFi. For example my PS3 does support WPA2 but not AES. Which means it cant connect to any WPA2 AES encrypted networks. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

My guess is your WiFi card is soooooo old it dont support newer security standards used in WiFi. For example my PS3 does support WPA2 but not AES. Which means it cant connect to any WPA2 AES encrypted networks. 

Ok, you guys seen to be misunderstanding the primary issue. It isn't that the card doesn't support the encryption. The issue is that yes the card is really old and isn't officially supported under Windows 10 but it does work, allowing me to specify an SSID of an open network under the Properties in Device manager. But Windows 10 does not RECOGNIZE the card as a PCI Wifi Adapter. That means, while it does connect to a wifi network (initially it just grabbed the first open network it found), it does not show any wifi networks available. So I am unable to select my private home network protected by a password (WEP/WPA/doesn't matter), even if I add the SSID with the lowest possible WEP key (which the card does support) and have to rely on the crappy XfinityWifi public hotspot. There is a modified driver available for RT61 (this card series has Ralink chips in it) that has additional options under the Properties of the device, but again no way to enter the password of protected networks.

This device and the modified driver do work under Windows 7 just fine in the research I've done, able to see available networks including those protected by a password. But here in Windows 10 it doesn't seem possible.

That's why I asked if there was some way to add the network with the key to the registry using PowerShell. If I type:

netsh WLAN show profiles

all of the open networks I've connected to show up just fine. So the device is recognized as WLAN enabled

1 hour ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Ok, you guys seen to be misunderstanding the primary issue. It isn't that the card doesn't support the encryption. The issue is that yes the card is really old and isn't officially supported under Windows 10 but it does work, allowing me to specify an SSID of an open network under the Properties in Device manager. But Windows 10 does not RECOGNIZE the card as a PCI Wifi Adapter. That means, while it does connect to a wifi network (initially it just grabbed the first open network it found), it does not show any wifi networks available. So I am unable to select my private home network protected by a password (WEP/WPA/doesn't matter), even if I add the SSID with the lowest possible WEP key (which the card does support) and have to rely on the crappy XfinityWifi public hotspot. There is a modified driver available for RT61 (this card series has Ralink chips in it) that has additional options under the Properties of the device, but again no way to enter the password of protected networks.

This device and the modified driver do work under Windows 7 just fine in the research I've done, able to see available networks including those protected by a password. But here in Windows 10 it doesn't seem possible.

That's why I asked if there was some way to add the network with the key to the registry using PowerShell. If I type:

netsh WLAN show profiles

all of the open networks I've connected to show up just fine. So the device is recognized as WLAN enabled

well you answered your own question in a way

netsh wlan will allow adding a ssid with its password

just do netsh wlan /? under each wlan sub category till you find what you need

netsh wlan add profile filename="your wifi settings in xml format" 

have fun and happy networking

5 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

netsh wlan add profile filename="your wifi settings in xml format" 

have fun and happy networking

THIS is what I needed...sort of. I have my XML profile exported already from a different computer, does that matter? Also would I just have to change the SSID in Properties and it should just work, right?

For those still wondering about the WPA2 support, supposedly this card isn't THAT old and since XP it has supported that encryption

6 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

THIS is what I needed...sort of. I have my XML profile exported already from a different computer, does that matter? Also would I just have to change the SSID in Properties and it should just work, right?

For those still wondering about the WPA2 support, supposedly this card isn't THAT old and since XP it has supported that encryption

ive never used the xml method but did remember on how much its mentioned in the help files for netsh

sorry i can not help greater here but now you just need to experiment or find someone who knows xml

6 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Even if your card supports WPA2 just fine, the janky-ass driver might not.

Just save yourself the hassle and get one of those $9 802.11n USB adapters.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10