Better Modem/ Router???

Nate1216

Hey guys, I have a Arris/Motorola SB6121 modem with the NETGEAR N750 Dual Band router. My internet provider is comcast and I get 75-100 Mbps download speed and around 6 Mbps upload speed. Which off these should I updrade to get the most performance boost? My family has close to twenty devices all together; 2 PC's, 3 Laptops, Xbox1, Firestick TV, Roku, Homephone, 4 cellphones, and 2 tvs. All thses devices are usually on. Im just unsure if just getting a new router or a better comcast package will improve my internet speed that much. Any suggestions???

2 hours ago, Nate1216 said:

Hey guys, I have a Arris/Motorola SB6121 modem with the NETGEAR N750 Dual Band router. My internet provider is comcast and I get 75-100 Mbps download speed and around 6 Mbps upload speed. Which off these should I updrade to get the most performance boost? My family has close to twenty devices all together; 2 PC's, 3 Laptops, Xbox1, Firestick TV, Roku, Homephone, 4 cellphones, and 2 tvs. All thses devices are usually on. Im just unsure if just getting a new router or a better comcast package will improve my internet speed that much. Any suggestions???

If your modem gets you to the speeds Comcast provides than that wont really do anything to upgrade. I just know your modem will not handle the faster speed tiers. My SB6141 is only rated on the Comcast network to like 200 Mbps. So your will do less. As far as router is concerned I mean its an older Wireless N router. Are you able to get full speed that your paying for thru your router? Keep in mind that upgrading any of these will not give you faster internet than your paying for. 

What issues are you noticing to think you need a new router or modem? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

58 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If your modem gets you to the speeds Comcast provides than that wont really do anything to upgrade. I just know your modem will not handle the faster speed tiers. My SB6141 is only rated on the Comcast network to like 200 Mbps. So your will do less. As far as router is concerned I mean its an older Wireless N router. Are you able to get full speed that your paying for thru your router? Keep in mind that upgrading any of these will not give you faster internet than your paying for. 

What issues are you noticing to think you need a new router or modem? 

Just wireless connections seem slow here and there. Also whenever someone gets on the other PC while I'm gaming on mine is makes my lag and ping shoots up.

Just now, Nate1216 said:

Just wireless connections seem slow here and there. Also whenever someone gets on the other PC while I'm gaming on mine is makes my lag and ping shoots up.

You gaming on wireless or WiFi? A new router might help, but it comes down to how much speed your paying Comcast for. If you have a lot of devices but a small internet pipe then it will play hell with your gaming. 

6 minutes ago, Nate1216 said:

get a 256mb class 10 usb stick and place it into the modems usb port

the modem should be able to use it the way pc uses usb sticks for readyboost

(modem prolly has 32 or 64mb of memory and you fill the mem every few seconds)

setting up 2 differdnt networks will also help with the lag but not the bandwidth or just go into the modem&&routers settings and implement QOS for the devices you have the time sensitive data needs on(gaming devices/voip)

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You gaming on wireless or WiFi? A new router might help, but it comes down to how much speed your paying Comcast for. If you have a lot of devices but a small internet pipe then it will play hell with your gaming. 

Im wired for gaming. 

30 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

get a 256mb class 10 usb stick and place it into the modems usb port

the modem should be able to use it the way pc uses usb sticks for readyboost

(modem prolly has 32 or 64mb of memory and you fill the mem every few seconds)

setting up 2 differdnt networks will also help with the lag but not the bandwidth or just go into the modem&&routers settings and implement QOS for the devices you have the time sensitive data needs on(gaming devices/voip)

Did you even bother to look up the modem that the OP has?

And no, modems do not use USB sticks to boost memory.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

28 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Did you even bother to look up the modem that the OP has?

And no, modems do not use USB sticks to boost memory.

if usb stick is fast enough yes as it acts as a pagefile system

this is a tip thats given on many tech articles(is normally said for routers)

no i did not look up modem

14 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

if usb stick is fast enough yes as it acts as a pagefile system

this is a tip thats given on many tech articles(is normally said for routers)

no i did not look up modem

It's said for routers because a router is not a modem and a modem is not a router.

There are combo units but the modem and router piece is still separate inside the single box.

Modems don't have USB slots and those that do only use it for diagnostics from a tech, not for a pagefile.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Nate1216 said:

Im wired for gaming. 

Sounds like a bandwidth issue to me. What speed package do you have? 

12 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sounds like a bandwidth issue to me. What speed package do you have? 

Like what I pay for from my provider? They said I should get download speed in between 75 Mbps and 100 Mbps with an upload speed of 5Mbps.

2 minutes ago, Nate1216 said:

Like what I pay for from my provider? They said I should get download speed in between 75 Mbps and 100 Mbps with an upload speed of 5Mbps.

If your on the 75Mbps plan then it should be 75/10. As this is the same plan Comcast has us on. But you got a lot of devices which could be eating up your bandwidth. In my case I only got 2 desktop, 2 fire sticks, 1 roku, 1 laptop and 3 tablets. But generally most of these devices are not in use. That what matters. Its not really about how many devices, more like how many devices are in use at any given time. 

Here is something you could try though. Try updating the firmware of your router to start. Ive seen firmware updates fix a lot of problem. Also, try to determine what kinda of traffic you have. For instance if you use BitTorrent it can clog your internet pipe pretty serious. How many video streams do you have going at any given time? HD or 4K? How many using the connection at one time? These are all the things that could be causing issues.