Plex Server Build

Hello lovely members of LTT Forum. I have built many gaming PCs for myself and friends over the years. I want to build a Plex Server using older/used server grade hardware. As I have zero experience in this area figured I'd reach out to you for assistance in planning this build

1) I am located in the USA, while this is going to be used parts I am sure ebay will be my #1 shopping website for this build

2) My budget is right around $1,000 USD. This should give me enough room for multiple users hitting the server as well as the necessary storage for a movie buff's collection with room to grow.

3) Thinking of running the entire Plex off of Linux to save cost and learn more about Linux. I am not opposed to running Windows 7 or 10 if people think that supports Plex and various add-ons better

4) No monitors hoping to run this essentially headless after initial set up

Let me know if I forgot to include any additional information.

Thanks 

I'm running Plex on my Raspberry Pi and it works perfect as long as you don't need to transcode the footage. I can't answer part 1 & 2, but I can answer part 3 & 4 for you:

3: Plex runs perfectly on Linux. It saves you the licensing cost for Windows and I would even suggest it performs better since you don't have any overhead (like a desktop, which is unnecessary if you only run Plex on it)

4: Basically the only thing you would need to do with a monitor is setting up the BIOS and installing Linux. After you enable SSH (make sure your SSH is properly secured) you can remote into the machine and do everything. No need to install a desktop on Linux, you can do everything from command line.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 9:27 PM, FuzzyLobster said:

Have you gotten it setup yet?

Not yet. I am looking for a parts list or recommendations of used hardware and so far gotten none

On 11/30/2017 at 3:14 PM, gamingdozer said:

Not yet. I am looking for a parts list or recommendations of used hardware and so far gotten none

I gave up doing research on raid cards and setups and just went with 2 5td hdds in windows raid 1. I put them in my main pc

On 12/1/2017 at 4:33 PM, FuzzyLobster said:

I gave up doing research on raid cards and setups and just went with 2 5td hdds in windows raid 1. I put them in my main pc

I would but i parted out my gaming rig about a year ago so my only PC at the moment is an older mac book air that i rarely use