Graphics issue i a virtual machine

Dark Star

Hello, was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am getting the graphics issue shown in the picture i have uploaded when using a nvidia 1080 graphics card but not when i use a asus r7 240. I am using the graphics card in windows server 2016 hyper v with remotefx and was wondering if anyone has any idea why i have the graphics issue with the 1080 but not the r7 240 ?

graphics issue.jpg

Does a nvidia 660 use the same drivers as a nvidia 960 because i have the issue with the 960 but not the 660.

Is they any way to resolve this, can i use older drivers ? I tried getting this to work 5 months a go with a gtx 1060 but gave up and just used the nvidia 660 2gb till i found the r7 240 4gb. I feel i would get better performance out of a 1080 due to the ddr5 8gb vram.

If I remember correctly nvidia start doing something to their gaming cards to cockblock their cards from being used in virtual environments. An attempt to force people to buy quadro or tesla series. I don't remember where I read it, but hopefully it sparks a memory in somebody with better a recollection.

I don't think this applies to passthrough, so if you're not already passing the device directly to a virtual machine give that a shot.

Possible i guess but they is people using the nvidia 960 without issue from my googling. Passthrough aint really a option as i need 10 virtual machine running with the graphics card.

16 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Possible i guess but they is people using the nvidia 960 without issue from my googling. Passthrough aint really a option as i need 10 virtual machine running with the graphics card.

Different generation of cards, I don't know when nvidia started but I do know they've made changes. From what I recall they were block sr-iov or something. Here's a couple things I found:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dedicated-gpus.html

^specifically outlines ESXi and Xenserver, but not Hyper-V

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1023809/cuda-programming-and-performance/pci-passthrough-of-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-1080-with-kvm/post/5208785/#5208785

^nvidia rep stating that the 1080 isn't exactly support by the driver for gpu passthrough (minus some extra work)

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/119649/en-us

^Did you download the GRID driver thingy ma bob?

Passing through a single card to 10 vms at once? Pretty sure that requires a GRID card.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yea not really looking for passing through the graphics card as my plan is to use remotefx on the 10 virtual machines. Does anyone see why if i purchased 2 radeon rx550 they would be any issue like i am having with the nvidia 1080. Anyone heard of radeon doing as nvidia mite of done and made it not possible to use the latest nvidia graphics cards for remotefx within virtual machines ?