Computer just randomly crashes when playing video games forcing me to do a hard reset

Andruu123

Hi there my name is Andrew and I have had my PC since Christmas 2013. I'm a huge gamer and often spend myself playing video games a lot.
For the past few years my computer has been crashing quite commonly more often when playing video games, I've found that it happens more frequently when playing games in full-screen however it can still happen when it isn't in full screen. Although it has never really crashed when outside of gaming. The issue started when i upgraded my graphics card, I decided at the time to upgrade my Graphics card from a Nvidia GTX 660Ti to my current card, the Nvidia GTX 980. I had my local PC repair guy put the card in and make sure at the time it would all work in early 2015. About a week later I noticed it began to crash on multiple games and it has basically continued to do so since.
I took it back to the man a few months later and he took it in for weeks and tried his best to repair it. I gave him temperatures and everything and we paid him a decent amount for his services. In the end he gave it back to me and it wasn't fixed it just had the same issues. I don't know much about computers on the inside hence why I asked the local PC guy to do so. I didn't want to complain to my parents too much but it's extremely frustrating. So much so that recently I've given up with it and no longer play any real intensive games. I've tried updating to the latest drivers and also changing the settings to lower graphics in almost all games. One night my friend convinced me to give League of Legends a go and it proceeded to crash both in full-screen then in Windowed the second time.

When it freezes it goes a random colour: Pink, Green, Red, White, Yellow and often Black and it usually plays this horrific sound over and over. It will stay this way indefinitely I believe but I’ve never let it sit that way for a while. It needs to be turned off on the power off button. I videoed it because I thought it was really strange the first time it happened. I don’t use two monitors anymore though and it still happens.

=https://youtu.be/DJTIn_xCt-M]http://

I was looking online for anything that could help and everyone seemed to reply with Graphics card drivers or Fan issues. I thought it could have been cooling issues so I had the PC repair dude look at it and every time they said it’s not the cooling system but I'm not sure.

Here are my computer specs:

KNYbquB.png

Here are my computer specs while running Overwatch:

aJ6I55B.png

The computer seems to crash less when it was played in windowed mode rather than full screen. I play Overwatch a lot and from the beginning I played it in windowed mode as i didn't want any issues. However one day it crashed and made me lose a lot of SR in the game thus being extremely annoying .

Also people asked about my PSU on a previous post I can now give an accurate name for it.

- The PSU in my PC is the VS650 from Corsair.

Also I read on a forum of a post with similar issues that lowering MHz of both the memory clock and the Core clock could do the trick so I did as it suggested which is to decrease both by 25 MHz I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not so I will post the afterburner Screenshot here also. 

LXK3YF9.png

I played with these MSI afterburner settings enabled for months and it seemed to work a lot better(I was even able to play in full screen!) But it only resolved the issue on Overwatch. Games such as CSGO would still crash despite the MSI afterburner.

However today when playing a completive match of Overwatch it crashed once again even with the MSI afterburner settings and I have just lost the plot

I will get back to any feedback asap hopefully someone will know what to do or at least be able to help!

Thanks,
Andrew

I was about to say power supply but a 650w unit from corsair is overkill if anything. sorry i have no idea.

Im not sure what this signature thing is but it could use some RG

I think it could either be the temperature or the power lead but i am really not sure.

is that afterburner screenshot at idle? that temperature looks fine for a 980 it soundls like a power issue or maybe just maybe a defective card

Im not sure what this signature thing is but it could use some RG

woah there! your cpu is reaching 71 degC? not overclock also idling cpu and gpu temp are high... 2013 pc right? try to refresh it give it a clean up and new thermal paste on both cpu and gpu... also does your case have adequate airflow? thanks

7 hours ago, rheyL said:

woah there! your cpu is reaching 71 degC? not overclock also idling cpu and gpu temp are high... 2013 pc right? try to refresh it give it a clean up and new thermal paste on both cpu and gpu... also does your case have adequate airflow? thanks

Anything below 80 degrees is fine under a load. 71 degrees is a perfectly acceptable temperature. It shouldnt cause any issues. I do agree the Idle temps are a bit high though. Are you using stock cooler?

1 hour ago, Pezz said:

Anything below 80 degrees is fine under a load. 71 degrees is a perfectly acceptable temperature. It shouldnt cause any issues. I do agree the Idle temps are a bit high though. Are you using stock cooler?

you quoted the wrong guy ?

intel cpus would run lower than that using stock cooler with adequate cooling... so there is something wrong with the cooling... 

57 minutes ago, rheyL said:

you quoted the wrong guy ?

intel cpus would run lower than that using stock cooler with adequate cooling... so there is something wrong with the cooling... 

Not really.... My CPU would run at 70' on heavy games.... 30-40 while idle in winter ofc, in summer it's like 50'. Anything below 80' on both GPU and CPU is good. 

When I used to get my PC rebooted or force shut down-ed itself, it was because of overheat wich would make my pc crash. Seems like that's not the case here. Also don't take your pc to pc shops... all they do is fuck up. 

15 hours ago, Orochimario said:

is that afterburner screenshot at idle? that temperature looks fine for a 980 it soundls like a power issue or maybe just maybe a defective card

Yeah that's it at idle

10 hours ago, rheyL said:

Honestly my case is absolute trash, I took the sides off of it a few months back because i was worried about the temperatures so all temperatures you guys are seeing is the case open at both sides.

3 hours ago, Pezz said:

without the afterburner settings it reaches up to 90c which is why i took the precautions i did i also removed the sides of the case and that helped a ton with the temperature

8 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

Not really.... My CPU would run at 70' on heavy games.... 30-40 while idle in winter ofc, in summer it's like 50'. Anything below 80' on both GPU and CPU is good. 

When I used to get my PC rebooted or force shut down-ed itself, it was because of overheat wich would make my pc crash. Seems like that's not the case here. Also don't take your pc to pc shops... all they do is fuck up. 

Yeah i realized that xD thats why i'm here!

3 hours ago, Pezz said:

I'm using everything that was originally in the computer yeah. 

53 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

snip~

are intel cpus nowadays really run that hot? my amd phenom II X4 960T was on stock cooler before,  idles at 30 but on games haven't seen going 70+.. lets say around 50+

Just now, rheyL said:

are intel cpus nowadays really run that hot? my amd phenom II X4 960T was on stock cooler before,  idles at 30 but on games haven't seen going 70+.. lets say around 50+

Not really, just bad contact thermal, Intel didn't soldered the caps.

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Not really, just bad contact thermal, Intel didn't soldered the caps.

i see so that's why stock cooler can't beat it down ?

intel is really known for it's low operating temperatures... 

now back to the topic, you can add fans on your case, but i really recommend cleaning it out dirt from the heat sink and replace thermal paste. 

1 minute ago, rheyL said:

i see so that's why stock cooler can't beat it down ?

intel is really known for it's low operating temperatures... 

now back to the topic, you can add fans on your case, but i really recommend cleaning it out dirt from the heat sink and replace thermal paste. 

Most efficient is not that, but deliding.

I have a very similar problem, Just that i get only black screens and the sound is not that weird.

it just stutters for a few seconds, but only the game sounds, Youtube videos keep running and sometimes i can keep talking in Teamspeak.

It does not crash in every game aswell (until now, it did not crash in Pubg and Minecraft). And after random times, sometimes it does not crash after several Hours and sometimes after 5 Minutes.

The PC is from 2014 and initially had an R7 260x, i upgradet it a few month ago and the crashed started just a few weeks ago.

The GPU goes up to 70° at full load and the CPU stays at game load around 60° (Idle both at 33°)

PC Specs:

Asrock B85M-HDS

i5-4570

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Gigabyte GTX 970 OC

16 GB Curcial DDR3 1600

600W LC-Power

Windows 7

The thing is mate, with temps lower than 80' you should have any problem, and pc won't shut down for that.... My GPU went to 105'c before it hard crashed my pc.