Upgrading my 6600K

So, as the title says i want to upgrade my 6600K. I want to stick with my motherboard so i would want a 1151 socket cpu. I am playing games and i want to stream them in 720p60fps, i testet livestreaming destiny 2 with OBS but my cpu could not handle it at all. So my question is: What cpu in the 1151 socket range would be a good upgrade for streaming? and a other question: or should i rather Invest more money for a new mainboard aswell a new CPU? at the moment i dont want to invest that much money so i want to get as much out of my current hardware. I hope someone can help me, thanks.

Edit:

So now iam convinced that i just need a better cpu at this point, i have my eye on a 8700k with a nice motherboard, but should i go for the 8700k or would it better that i get a cpu and motherboard with a 2066 socket so i can upgrade it further in the future? as i see now the 1151 socket dosnt offer me much upgrade potential and with the 2066 socket i could upgrade to some high end stuff if i would want. what do you guys think of that?

Max upgrade path with your current mainboard would be i7 6700K and i dont think this will be huge upgrade but i have never tried streaming on my 6600K for pure gaming at 1080p/1440p@60 fps is no bottleneck so far when i will upgrade i will move to  coffe lake i guess or see what AMD can offer when i want to upgrade and can afford it.

Why isn't your CPU handling it is the question.

You've just told us you have a 6600k, but nothing else. Motherboard? RAM? GPU? SSD? HDD?

If you're running a 6600k with a GTX 560 or something, it won't ever run Destiny 2. Your post lacks enough information to actually give you the information you need & seek.

Edit: Settings?

Because you want to keep that specific socket the best CPU you can get is 7700k, as coffeelake needs Z370. Since you are streaming im not so sure that even the 7700k will offer thathe much of a noticeable improvement as it still only has four physical cpu cores. Your best bet is probrably to upgrade your board as well, getting a higher core count cpu like the ryzen 1700 with eight cores so that streaming doesn’t really interfere with your gameplay. You can still overclock that chip on as cheap a board as b350.

Your CPU should be fine. You haven't given us other specs, but make sure you have 16gb of RAM and a solid GPU, probably a 1060 would be fine.

Space is pretty awesome.

4 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

Because you want to keep that specific socket the best CPU you can get is 7700k, as coffeelake needs Z370

i7 7700k needs z270 while he is currently at a 6600k with a z170 chipset. So he can not upgrade to a 7700 k. BTW coffe lake is also LGA1151.

5 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

i7 7700k needs z270 while he is currently at a 6600k with a z170 chipset. So he can not upgrade to a 7700 k.

Z170 chipset boards can have their BIOS updated to accept Kabylake CPUs

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Klemmbrett said:

i7 7700k needs z270 while he is currently at a 6600k with a z170 chipset. So he can not upgrade to a 7700 k.

It might seem like he needs a board upgrade to z270, but Z170 with a bios update can support kabylake. I know because I am running a 7600k on a Z170 tomahawk artic from msi.

2 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

It might seem like he needs a board upgrade to z270, but Z170 with a bios update can support kabylake. I know because I am running a 7600k on a Z170 tomahawk artic from msi.

True but not all boards do and we dont know his board.

4 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

True but not all boards do and we dont know his board.

No, all Z170 boards have updated Bios's to accept Kaby lake cpu's. (obviously it may need to be updated by him, but the Bios's exist) 

Edit - Oh I think I misunderstood you the first time I read your post lol. Thought you meant not all boards have a Bios to support Kaby. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

13 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

No, all Z170 boards have updated Bios's to accept Kaby lake cpu's. (obviously it may need to be updated by him, but the Bios's exist) 

Edit - Oh I think I misunderstood you the first time I read your post lol. Thought you meant not all boards have a Bios to support Kaby.

Yes the z170 ones are top of the line ofc most companies will push out updates there but we dont know what kind of motherboard and chipset he is using. He might run the 6600k on a  cheap board without overclocking abilities.  So we can only speculate till OP posts rest of his system specs. 

well thanks for all the replies. for my other specs: i run a GTX 970, 16gb of corsair vengance ram, a Z270 motherboard some regular HDDs and a single 250gb SSD. for the most part games are running very well. Destiny runs at min 70fps but usualy around 100fps. cpu is at 60~70% while playing most of the time.

edit: Settings for destiny are around High on 1080p

Really not seeing a problem here. I'll presume you're playing (and not streaming) with the aforementioned FPS values.

#1) You've already said that you're looking to invest as little as possible. Can you define "as little as possible" for us (this isn't sarcasm either. [A] 6600k and a 970 is a pretty solid build!) Also, currency? Are you American, Canadian, British, Aussie etc?
#2) Have you tried overclocking? It's your cheapest bet. (Spend $100-150 USD for a really high end AIO cooler like the Kraken X62 Rev 2)
#3) You've said you want to Stream at 720p @ 60 FPS. What happens to your FPS if you play at 720p as well? Then try streaming now?

Side point: You're looking at spending $250 USD
+ to upgrade just your CPU right now. [Edit: And that's still *only* an i5 8600k. Once you step into the i7 series you're looking at $300-400 USD. Ryzen will be extremely expensive considering you would need both the chip, board and potentially new RAM.]

==================================================================================================

And, if by some miracle the aforementioned FPS is both Streaming and Playing.... What is the problem? at 65% usage, you've got something else holding you back.

5 minutes ago, Woldraxe said:

Really not seeing a problem here. I'll presume you're playing (and not streaming) with the aforementioned FPS values.

#1) You've already said that you're looking to invest as little as possible. Can you define "as little as possible" for us (this isn't sarcasm either. [A] 6600k and a 970 is a pretty solid build!) Also, currency? Are you American, Canadian, British, Aussie etc?
#2) Have you tried overclocking? It's your cheapest bet. (Spend $100-150 USD for a really high end AIO cooler like the Kraken X62 Rev 2)
#3) You've said you want to Stream at 720p @ 60 FPS. What happens to your FPS if you play at 720p as well? Then try streaming now?

Side point: You're looking at spending $250 USD
+ to upgrade just your CPU right now. [Edit: And that's still *only* an i5 8600k. Once you step into the i7 series you're looking at $300-400 USD. Ryzen will be extremely expensive considering you would need both the chip, board and potentially new RAM.]

==================================================================================================

And, if by some miracle the aforementioned FPS is both Streaming and Playing.... What is the problem? at 65% usage, you've got something else holding you back.

#1) as little as just a CPU since that would be my cheapest upgarde at the moment and i live in germany so i have Euros

#2) i did not try Overclocking no i dont really have the knowgledge to do that right , iam running a Scythe SCFM – 1000 Fuma CPU cooler at the moment so i guess thats not enough for that anyways.

#3) i could try that i guess, but i would prefer to have it at last for me good looking xD iam playing on a 40" full HD TV so i would not want to get that low on quality.

The Fps in game isnt changing much when i start to stream but OBS just has around 90% frame drops. its also not consistent usage, in some areas its less and in some more, like in Hubs where are alot of people.

9 minutes ago, GreySha said:

#1) As little as possible. Just a CPU since that would be my cheapest upgrade at the moment. I live in Germany so I have Euros. (Thanks!)

#2) I have not tried overclocking. I don't really have the knowledge to do that right now. I'm running a Scythe SCFM – 1000 Fuma CPU cooler at the moment so i guess that's not enough for that anyways.

#3) I could try that I guess, but I would prefer to have it, at least, for me good looking xD I am playing on a 40" full HD TV so I would not want to get that low on quality.

The Fps in game isn't changing much when I start to stream but OBS just has around 90% frame drops. It's also not consistent usage, in some areas it's less and in some more, like in Hubs where are a lot of people [are].

Sorry it's taken me this long (errands to run, places to be, people to pickup). I've never heard of a Scythe CFSM - 1000 FUMA. However, after some head hunting online, it's comparable to a Noctua NH-D14.... which are pretty kick* air coolers.

Get Speccy.

Can you post your temps when in (game & streaming) & idle? That'll dictate whether or not you can O.C..

- Check your OBS settings. 90% frame drop with no change in FPS is weird. You'll notice at least a small difference in FPS when you start streaming.

Also; and I can't really fact check this, and whether or not this information is current. Give this a read: http://nikitheliger.com/how-to-get-the-best-obs-studio-settings/

Starting out streamers don’t usually get transcoders either so you won’t get the benefit from streaming at higher bitrates. Even if your internet speed allows it.

I would suggest streaming maximum at 720p / 30FPS and 2500 bitrate. This way more people can watch your stream without buffering.  You can increase the bitrate when you have followers an audience that can watch stream at higher bitrates.

Ultimately, I'm not here to bash your choices for PC Hardware. I'm just thinking something else is causing the problems, not the lack of "horsepower" so to speak.

Community may disagree, but you're rig is reasonably up-to-date. You may also want to re-align your expectations as well. (I'm not bashing you either here). Professional Streamers are just getting to 720p, 60FPS for demanding games.

Shroud's Settings:
Quality: 10
Bitrate: 5000
CBR: Check

Audio Codec: AAC
Bitrate: 128
Format: 48KHz Stereo

Res: 1280x720
FPS: 60

CPU Preset: Medium.

Specs: Intel Core i7 5930k, GTX 970, 32GB RAM, MAGEWELL USB 3.0 Capture Card.

1 hour ago, Woldraxe said:

Sorry it's taken me this long (errands to run, places to be, people to pickup). I've never heard of a Scythe CFSM - 1000 FUMA. However, after some head hunting online, it's comparable to a Noctua NH-D14.... which are pretty kick* air coolers.

Get Speccy.

Can you post your temps when in (game & streaming) & idle? That'll dictate whether or not you can O.C..

- Check your OBS settings. 90% frame drop with no change in FPS is weird. You'll notice at least a small difference in FPS when you start streaming.

Also; and I can't really fact check this, and whether or not this information is current. Give this a read: http://nikitheliger.com/how-to-get-the-best-obs-studio-settings/

Ultimately, I'm not here to bash your choices for PC Hardware. I'm just thinking something else is causing the problems, not the lack of "horsepower" so to speak.

Community may disagree, but you're rig is reasonably up-to-date. You may also want to re-align your expectations as well. (I'm not bashing you either here). Professional Streamers are just getting to 720p, 60FPS for demanding games.

Shroud's Settings:
Quality: 10
Bitrate: 5000
CBR: Check

Audio Codec: AAC
Bitrate: 128
Format: 48KHz Stereo

Res: 1280x720
FPS: 60

CPU Preset: Medium.

Specs: Intel Core i7 5930k, GTX 970, 32GB RAM, MAGEWELL USB 3.0 Capture Card.

So i tested a bit, my temps: idle 30~33°C while gameing under 60~100% load around 50~55°C and while playing destiny in 1080p and trying to stream it so 100% load on all cores ist 55°C Max. so i guess there is good room for overclocking.

I took a look into the guide for OBS that you linked but its kinda old and covers just basic stuff, so nothing from there.

I testet a bit, first i found that the game was kind of running okay(FPS was fine 70+) but very stuttery while trying to stream(ingame and the OBS preview and the stream), no matter what settings ingame or in OBS i choose changed that. so i tried grabing the game from a different source (they made it that Destiny 2 cant be captured with OBS over the usualy fullscreen aplication grab) so before when i got the stuttering i had the game in fullscreen window mode and grabed just the window, now i changed it to Monitor capture now the stuttering is gone and OBS dosnt choke on FPS loss anymore, but its still not streaming that well, my CPU is on 100% all the time and it can just barely hold the 60FPS in the stream and affter a while(10 minutes or so) the FPS in OBS just starts dropping more heavy while the game is still running fine. So i dont know what i can do so i have it stable 60fps in the stream. I guess i could try to Overlock my CPU a bit but as i said i have very little experience in that (experimented with my old fx6350 but with a stupid video guide)

also took me quite a while to type that while playing destiny xD 

3 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Max upgrade path with your current mainboard would be i7 6700K

Wrong he can get the i7 7700k for average of 10~15% performance gain over the i7 6700k depending on overclock.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

well would i be even having more peformance while streaming with a 7700k? on my Google search adventure on this topic i came across quite a few people who said that with hyperthreading streaming and playing games would be easier, but it sill has just 4 real cores and so i dont know if it would have a better peformance just with hyperthreading  

27 minutes ago, GreySha said:

well would i be even having more peformance while streaming with a 7700k? on my Google search adventure on this topic i came across quite a few people who said that with hyperthreading streaming and playing games would be easier, but it sill has just 4 real cores and so i dont know if it would have a better peformance just with hyperthreading  

Linus made a video on this somewhere, I just don't know where. Games don't run strictly on core counts. We see this all the time with people wanting Xeon systems for gaming. Core Count != Higher FPS.

(skip to 5:40 for benchmarks). Games run on IPC (Instructions per clock). That's why the 7700k is very lucrative, it has a very high IPC, ideal for games.

I really don't think an upgrade is required, or even recommended in this case. Try OC'ing first, then get back to us. OC is your best bet (that's cheapest), followed by an upgrade if needed.

Best,
Michael

1 minute ago, Woldraxe said:

Linus made a video on this somewhere, I just don't know where. Games don't run strictly on core counts. We see this all the time with people wanting Xeon systems for gaming. Core Count != Higher FPS.

(skip to 5:40 for benchmarks). Games run on IPC (Instructions per clock). That's why the 7700k is very lucrative, it has a very high IPC, ideal for games.

I really don't think an upgrade is required, or even recommended in this case. Try OC'ing first, then get back to us. OC is your best bet (that's cheapest), followed by an upgrade if needed.

Best,
Michael

alright iam gona try to Overclock it, maybe it will be fine for the time and when i have more money then iam probably gona upgrade on something higher but thanks alot for the help man and thansk to everyone else aswell.

oh do you have a idea where i could find something that helps me with my overclock?

The only thing I can really recommend in terms of "helping you overclock" is reading up and watching YT videos. To my knowledge no programs exist to OC your CPU on the fly. (Eg: Do it through the BIOS.). As you step up your OC, keep running programs (Cinebench R15) to make sure it's a stable OC.

Linus:

Paul:

1 minute ago, Woldraxe said:

The only thing I can really recommend in terms of "helping you overclock" is reading up and watching YT videos. To my knowledge no programs exist to OC your CPU on the fly. (Eg: Do it through the BIOS.). As you step up your OC, keep running programs (Cinebench R15) to make sure it's a stable OC.

Linus:

Paul:

Alright thats just what i wanted :) thanks again, i will be back when i done my OCing maybe tomorrow 

Just now, GreySha said:

Alright thats just what i wanted :) thanks again, i will be back when i done my OCing maybe tomorrow 

Fair play.

Best of luck.

So here iam again, i managed to overclock my 6600k to 4.6Ghz and i suppose thats quite okay, i let it benchmark for around 8 hours while at work and it runs stable at max temps of 66°C. So i also tested quite a bit of streaming Performance. OBS tells me that its broadcasting at almost stable 60fps (by the fps indicator in OBS) so i thought "Great that looks like its working" cpu is always on 100% Load, but i see that OBS only takes 10% of that (also by the indicator in OBS) so i actually didnt watch the stream to test it before since i thought that the fps indicator and the bandwidth indicators in OBS are enough to see if my stream si stable running. WRONG. i got my tablet and watched my own stream and it was a jittery, chunky, laggy mess: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/188136140 thats 720p60fps with the "very fast" preset in OBS and a bitrate of around 3500-4000. I testet out 720p30fps, faster presets, different bitrates. but nothing i do seems to work, the only thing i didnt try was giving OBS and destiny their own cores(2 each) so OBS could get more power then just 10%. Did that but didnt gave me good results. So the last thing i did was trying out streaming over hardware encoding with my graphics card and that runs quite well, i guess my cpu is in no way able to handle streaming and gaming after all or iam doing something greatly wrong with OBS or something else.

Edit: so i tested a bit more:

1.) I gave destiny and OBS 2 cores each, streaming was doing fine but the game got very stuttery and was not a enjoyable experience anymore.

2.) Giving OBS 1 core and destiny 3 made the game run normal again but OBS could not keep up by any means.

3.) Giving both 4 again but giving a higher priority to OBS was the same result as point 1.)

So now iam convinced that i just need a better cpu at this point, i have my eye on a 8700k with a nice motherboard, but should i go for the 8700k or would it better that i get a cpu and motherboard with a 2066 socket so i can upgrade it further in the future? as i see now the 1151 socket dosnt offer me much upgrade potential and with the 2066 socket i could upgrade to some high end stuff if i would want. what so you guys think of that?