Is there a motherboard ranking?

Go to solution Solved by just_dave,

On Z370, the aesthetics are ruining great boards. Gigabyte Aorus 7 and MSI Godlike overheat because they have stupid RGB heatsinks that only look good and dont actually work.

Asus ROG boards are good, they use Infineon OptiMOS mosfets with decent efficiency and 50A max cont. current draw and have decent heatsinks.

I'd pick Hero or Formula, depends on how much cash do you want to burn.

ASRock boards are similiar, Taichi, i7, Pro Gaming, K6, Extreme4 all have similair mosfets (or variants, there are Fairchild and Sino ones)

They are decent, but the higher-end asus boards are better.

I have been looking at motherboards all week and its giving me a headache. They all say best this or that, and none of it makes sense. I am trying to build an overkill machine with the i7 8700k for January. What is the best asus mobo, the formula, the apex, the hero? Or This godlike board on site says is the best. If you dont concider money, is there not just a mobo that has everything, then less with less price from there? I have 15 fans, 1080 rad, probably 1080ti but i want to upgrade to 2080 as soon as thats out. I have a ridiculous amount of space in my custom case. Can someone please tell me what mobo will outperforme all others, or if there are trade offs, what they are. I just dont get it.

the difference is just aesthetics, more i/o ports and maybe warranty... Just pick whatever you prefer with the best looking, most usbs ports and pcie lanes because there's not the best mobo...

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

2 minutes ago, Ashaman Cooper said:

I have been looking at motherboards all week and its giving me a headache. They all say best this or that, and none of it makes sense. I am trying to build an overkill machine with the i7 8700k for January. What is the best asus mobo, the formula, the apex, the hero? Or This godlike board on site says is the best. If you dont concider money, is there not just a mobo that has everything, then less with less price from there? I have 15 fans, 1080 rad, probably 1080ti but i want to upgrade to 2080 as soon as thats out. I have a ridiculous amount of space in my custom case. Can someone please tell me what mobo will outperforme all others, or if there are trade offs, what they are. I just dont get it.

it's more complicated than powersupplies because there's a 100x more models and it has to be redone every time a new board comes out.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, Blackhole890 said:

the difference is just aesthetics, more i/o ports and maybe warranty... Just pick whatever you prefer with the best looking, most usbs ports and pcie lanes because there's not the best mobo...

in general.... yeah kinda.... not really though if you want to do more intensive stuff

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

10 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

So of those i listed what do you think is the best, formula, apex, godlike. Or one you like more?

10 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

in general.... yeah kinda.... not really though if you want to do more intensive stuff

So of those i listed what do you think is the best, formula, apex, godlike. Or one you like more?

3 minutes ago, Ashaman Cooper said:

from asus on intel i think the formula is the best price to feature ratio. the hero series is supposed to be flagship

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

On Z370, the aesthetics are ruining great boards. Gigabyte Aorus 7 and MSI Godlike overheat because they have stupid RGB heatsinks that only look good and dont actually work.

Asus ROG boards are good, they use Infineon OptiMOS mosfets with decent efficiency and 50A max cont. current draw and have decent heatsinks.

I'd pick Hero or Formula, depends on how much cash do you want to burn.

ASRock boards are similiar, Taichi, i7, Pro Gaming, K6, Extreme4 all have similair mosfets (or variants, there are Fairchild and Sino ones)

They are decent, but the higher-end asus boards are better.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Apex, no doubt about it.

It holds most of the OC records for a reason. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III